Wiring diagram - 1981 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, anyone know where I can download a wiring diagram? I need to hunt down why my dome light doesn't work. On that note, which fuse should I check?

Thanks,
Carl

FSMs can be downloaded here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fsms.743084/

The wiring diagram for the FJ60 is in the back of the 1980 Chassis_Body FSM.

Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_1 1980 chassis-body FSM .jpg

Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_2 1980 chassis-body FSM .jpg

I need to hunt down why my dome light doesn't work. On that note, which fuse should I check?
The fuse for the dome light is labeled 'DOME' on the cover of the main fuse box to the left of the steering wheel.

The fuse for the dome light is labeled 'DOME' on the cover of the main fuse box to the left of the steering wheel.

Ha! Maybe I should have checked there first. ...thanks and thanks for the wiring diagram info.

~ Carl

Ha! Maybe I should have checked there first. ...thanks and thanks for the wiring diagram info.

~ Carl
You'll see when you look on the wiring diagram that the 'DOME' fuse isn't labeled as such (a misprint in the publication)...it is just shown as a 5A fuse.

It should be properly labeled on the cover at the main fuse box, though.

And for what it's worth, the engine cooling fan (the one that kicks on after you shut the engine off) runs off that same circuit (behind the same 'DOME' fuse).

Well this will be fun. The labels on the fuse door don't match the fuse box. I mean there are physically no fuses (or fuse holders) in the place where they should be - according to the fuse door. I'm assuming I have a door from a different year.

Can someone post a pic of the fuse door and fuse box from a 1981 truck?

Thanks!

Perfect! Thanks for the help!

Below my steering column I've found a strange "plug" that looks like it's missing something. Is this the inspection socket that the wiring diagram mentions?

Below my steering column I've found a strange "plug" that looks like it's missing something. Is this the inspection socket that the wiring diagram mentions?
Probably not. The inspection socket that is labeled so on the wiring diagram (over off the circuit behind the 'DOME' fuse) is around the glove box on the passenger side.

see post #2 in the following thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2-prong-outlet-of-mystery.808052/#post-9225299

Below the steering column there is a relay bar (see below)

Relay Block FJ60 from Chassis-body 1980 repair manual.png

You're right, that's not it. I'll take a picture of it and start a new post. Thanks!

Back to my original mystery. According to the wiring diagram I see my dome light shares that fuse with that test plug and the carb fan (as you mentioned). The carb fan works and I will check that plug. Assuming that it works, I want to find the place where the dome light taps into that circuit. And idea where that might be?

Then I'll check the grounding circuit. I initially ruled that out as I could get a test light to fire after bypassing the regular ground.

Fixed! Dirty switch and a bad ground!

Fixed! Dirty switch and a bad ground!
Cool.

Door switch or switch at the light fixture(s) (dome in front and rear)?

Was the ground a 'common' ground or did each switch on each door have it's own ground?

Where were the ground(s)?

Problem 1 - The front roof/light switch was pretty cruddy - some spray contact cleaner and a quick check with the multimeter - fixed
Problem 2- one screw missing and the other three lose on the front roof/light. Two of those screws provide a solid ground.

With these two fixes the front light now works as designed.

While there, I cleaned and checked the rear light. It now works with the roof switch but not when the gate is open. Where is the gate switch?

I'm sure most of you know this, but if someone does't and has this problem it is important to understand how these lights work as it's different than many lights. The switch on the dome light circuit (either the roof switch or door switches) is on the GROUND side of the circuit. When the roof switch is activated or a door is open these switches close allowing current to pass to ground. Most light circuits have the switch on the live side and can be confusing when working on a dome light.

Cool.

Door switch or switch at the light fixture(s) (dome in front and rear)?

Was the ground a 'common' ground or did each switch on each door have it's own ground?

Where were the ground(s)?

While there, I cleaned and checked the rear light. It now works with the roof switch but not when the gate is open. Where is the gate switch?
That's a good question...I've got an 81 and couldn't find the switch on the gate either...

I also didn't see the switches for the rear door and at first assumed it didn't have any. But i was wrong because they work - even if I can't find them. I assume they are in the latch somewhere. But that's a mystery for another (warmer) day.

That's a good question...I've got an 81 and couldn't find the switch on the gate either...

There is a thread about R&R the gate switch. It is actually built into the latch on the upper gate so a bit of a bitch to get in and clean... I have the same problem where it works intermittently but the switch is just fine. Need to get some spray contact cleaner and see if I can get in there and clean it up.
If I can find the thread I will post it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom