1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter tire stud removal

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by TwiceWithHair, Apr 17, 2012.

1. TwiceWithHair

TwiceWithHair

I know you cannot stud used tires, but I was under the impression that you could unstud tires once the winter months were over. So I decided to stud my SUMMER tires (general grabber at2 275/65/18). Now that the deadline for my studs to be OUT is coming up, I found that I can unstud, but it won't be easy. I called up Big O tires and asked about the removal of my studs. The guy on the phone said "Sure you can! But we won't do it. You'll need a set of plyers and about an hour per tire." After that I searched online (and here) on tips how to best remove my tire studs. So far my plan is to go down the hill to my parents house where it should be 85 degrees this Friday (I'm hoping the heat will help the rubber be a little softer), take my tires off, air them WAY down (again, easier to work with the rubber), use some soap and water as lubricant, get a set of needle nose vise grips, a lawn chair, a 12-pack of beer and get after it. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have a better plan or any tips? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. uHu

uHu Shamowang

Use a screwdriver. Not too small.
    Just stick it in next to the stud and lever it out, after you have pressed the tip of the screwdriver around the base of the stud. Easy-piecy. It just takes some time.
    [​IMG]

Just removed the studs for my ford. Three tires with 5 each left, and one with 50 studs left. Took about 15 mins, but they were pretty worn.

3. 12guns

12guns

I have never studded my tire, but was always under the impression that you just let the metal studs wear out w/ the tires? Wrong? I have never thought about having to remove them, but man, sounds like a lot of work to me!

4. uHu

uHu Shamowang

Studs are removed only when you don't want to use the tires as winter tires anymore.

5. mister bean

mister bean

Studs are illegal after a certain date in some states. So you either need to change tires (which is what's normally done since snow tires don't wear or handle well in hot weather) or remove the studs from the tires.

6. 12guns

12guns

Good info, had never really thought about it I guess.

7. marshotel

marshotel

Yes, this can be done, but it is a royal pain in the...

You seem to have the method more or less correct.
    I would also get a good awl and a small flathead like uHu says for digging the studs out.
    Be careful to not ruin your tires.

If at all possible, just save your studded tires for winter and get a different set for summer.

And by the way, you CAN put studs in used tires as long as they have more than 10/32" tread remaining. You just have to drill new holes for the studs. Make sure you have a good stop collar for the drill and again, BE CAREFUL TO NOT RUIN YOUR TIRES.

Please report back with results:popcorn:

8. AKcruzr

AKcruzr

Flat tip screw driver as mentioned above, you wont have to air the tires down. I have done it on 4-5 sets of tires its not hard at all. I use a flat tip screw driver, run it down the side of the stud when it touchs bottom I leverage the screw driver towards the stud and get the flat tip under the base of the stud and pop it out. It's actually very easy. I have also restudded 2 sets of used tires, its not that hard to do but I have access to a stud gun from a friend. Most tire shops wont restud due to liability issues.

9. scottm

scottm

Would a nail puller like this help? They're life-savers when pulling hundreds of nails out of old oak floors. You put the teeth of the "beak" on each side of the nail head, drop the weighted handle and it drives the teeth into the floor, then as you pry the nail out the foot forces the teeth tighter on the nail head. You might not need to drive the teeth into the rubber tire much, but the leverage might make the job quicker.

Attached Files:

10. Degnol

Degnol

11. Tahomatom

Tahomatom

If you plan to be up there for another season I would just look for another set of rims and tires. Going to suck pulling them off and then putting them back in next fall when the tires are more worn. Year after year.

Tire rack is in Reno so not far. Use one of the hotel address on your paperwork and they dont charge you tax. There are some used tires on Craiglist RNO and SMF.

I will be heading up next weekend for one last day at Alpine so if you find some in the bay area PM me. I drive thru Truckee on my way to Squaw/Alpine and my place in Tahoma.
    If the kids stay home I will have room.

12. TwiceWithHair

TwiceWithHair

This website rocks. You guys are awesome. The tires I studded are my summer tires, so I want the studs out. After experimenting with studded AT tires, I KNOW I want dedicated studded winter tires next year. I do not plan to re-stud these. I am excited for Elsie's transformation. Stud removal. Ski rack removal. Running board removal/front mud flap install. And I'm scheduled for my 90k service on Monday. Time to start saving for the stereo :) I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.

13. TwiceWithHair

TwiceWithHair

Two tires summer-ized. Halfway done. The flat head screw driver technique seems to be working great. 80 studs per tire. Including jacking up the car to pull the tires on and off I'm averaging about 45-50 minutes per. Beer break. Then it's time for the back tires. Thanks again for the help, guys. Happy 4/20 =)