AltFuel Winter biodiesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nearly ten years running biodiesel-VO blends all year long.

Make sure the BD has no water, soap or glycerol left in, and it will run without problems. Remove the inlet screen from the fuel pick-up in the tank.

Avoid ethanol in the fuel mix.
Before adding gasoline to diesel fuel blends to make winter starting easier, check the sticker on the pump for ethanol content. Up-here Premium gasoline has no ethanol and regular can be 10% or more.

Hello Diesel geniuses. I am about to start my first winter with a 1HZ troopy. There are a couple fueling stations with B20 (and even B50 but as i understand it I should make modifications before using over 20% biodiesel) along my usual winter routes and I would like to use it as much as possible.

So that brings up one of my questions about the "as much as possible" part.... is there anything wrong with going back and forth from B20 to standard diesel when B20 isn't accessible? Even in the instance where i may run multiple tanks of B20 in a row and then all of a sudden have to run a full tank of the average available at any pump diesel..... still okay to do?

Second question: This is why I posted this in the winter biodiesel section. When it comes to winterizing the B20 a little extra with 5-10% gas or using store bought additives, should I use both gas and an additive or just one or the other?
I am in NW Oregon and the winter temps are pretty mild but can occasionally get into the range where its worth thinking about the possibility of gelling.
I know to keep a fuel filter and basic tools handy. Also I will probably relocate the water separator so its easily accessible and visible. Any other tips to avoid worries?

Hello Diesel geniuses. I am about to start my first winter with a 1HZ troopy. There are a couple fueling stations with B20 (and even B50 but as i understand it I should make modifications before using over 20% biodiesel) along my usual winter routes and I would like to use it as much as possible.

I added a flat plate heat exchanger between the fuel feed pump and the fuel filter to heat the fuel mix. I also removed the inlet screen from the fuel pick-up in the tank, and replaced it with an inline fuel filter in the engine bay between the sedimenter and the fuel feed pump. When the temperature drops below freezing, the animal fat biodiesel will drop out of solution and clog the screen in the tank.

So that brings up one of my questions about the "as much as possible" part.... is there anything wrong with going back and forth from B20 to standard diesel when B20 isn't accessible? Even in the instance where i may run multiple tanks of B20 in a row and then all of a sudden have to run a full tank of the average available at any pump diesel..... still okay to do?

shouldn't be a problem... In Canada all diesel fuel must contain at least 5% BD for lubricity. I'm not sure about Oregon.

Second question: This is why I posted this in the winter biodiesel section. When it comes to winterizing the B20 a little extra with 5-10% gas or using store bought additives, should I use both gas and an additive or just one or the other?
I am in NW Oregon and the winter temps are pretty mild but can occasionally get into the range where its worth thinking about the possibility of gelling.
I know to keep a fuel filter and basic tools handy. Also I will probably relocate the water separator so its easily accessible and visible. Any other tips to avoid worries?

The additives are for improving the lubricity in winter grade diesel fuel, and likely are not needed if you're using BD plus gasoline as an additive.

"I added a flat plate heat exchanger between the fuel feed pump and the fuel filter to heat the fuel mix. I also removed the inlet screen from the fuel pick-up in the tank, and replaced it with an inline fuel filter in the engine bay between the sedimenter and the fuel feed pump. When the temperature drops below freezing, the animal fat biodiesel will drop out of solution and clog the screen in the tank."

@John Galt Would you recommend these mods for running B20 in winter? Or only if going above 20% BD?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond

"I added a flat plate heat exchanger between the fuel feed pump and the fuel filter to heat the fuel mix. I also removed the inlet screen from the fuel pick-up in the tank, and replaced it with an inline fuel filter in the engine bay between the sedimenter and the fuel feed pump. When the temperature drops below freezing, the animal fat biodiesel will drop out of solution and clog the screen in the tank."

@John Galt Would you recommend these mods for running B20 in winter? Or only if going above 20% BD?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond

Yes, because when the temperature drops below freezing, the animal fat biodiesel component will 'freeze' and settle out of solution and clog the screen in the tank. That can happen even with B5. It all depends on how much animal fat was in the BD feedstock. The only way around it [besides vegan biodiesel] is to store your biodiesel outside in a B50 or B75 mix with winter diesel and pump from the clear layer into the vehicle tank then dilute to B20 [or less] with pump diesel.

I haven't had any problems with winter biodiesel since the mods.

Yes, because when the temperature drops below freezing, the animal fat biodiesel component will 'freeze' and settle out of solution and clog the screen in the tank. That can happen even with B5. It all depends on how much animal fat was in the BD feedstock. The only way around it [besides vegan biodiesel] is to store your biodiesel outside in a B50 or B75 mix with winter diesel and pump from the clear layer into the vehicle tank then dilute to B20 [or less] with pump diesel.

I haven't had any problems with winter biodiesel since the mods.

You are a legend, thanks for the knowledge! And wow, vegan biodiesel sounds awesome haha

Another winter running B20 to -25°C with no problems whatsoever. Removing the inlet screen in the tank is the key to problem free biodiesel use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom