Window regulators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How good is the quality of aftermarket window regulators (manual)? My drivers door is pretty worn and needs replacing badly, but while I'm redoing door panels and installing sound deadening I'd like to replace all of them before sealing up the doors. Will i regret not going oem? I'm pretty sure the rears at least, and possibly the passenger door, hasn't been used much; would I be better of cleaning and lubing those?

I got one (driver's window) from SOR 3 years ago. It's an aftermarket. It looked exactly like the worn out OEM regulator I took out. I couldn't tell the difference. It has been working great. I like it. Recommended.

The rears (un-used ones) probably just need a bit of lube.

Last edited:
I used doorman on the front driver...works great.

Only difference I notice is the glass rolls about an inch below the door frame...the oe sit flush perfectly

I did a complete refurb of all my doors...cleaning, soundproofing inside and out, all new OEM seals and weatherstripping, top to bottom. The best door I have now is the driver door that now has a new OEM regulator in it...like showroom floor butter going up and down. The difference really is amazing. The aftermarket regs sound good, I may do those for the other 3 doors.
OEM or not, the new window regulator made all the difference.

@Skniper
I poked around a bit on your postings but did not see any info on how you soundproofed inside your doors. Since we're talking about window regulators, that would be a great time for that upgrade...Any tips to share?

Yeah mine has quite a bit of slack so either would be a major improvement!
I'm curious as to your sound deadening method as well skniper; I assume you used something like dynamat on the outside but what did you use behind the panel?

@Skniper
I poked around a bit on your postings but did not see any info on how you soundproofed inside your doors. Since we're talking about window regulators, that would be a great time for that upgrade...Any tips to share?

I hear ya....think I took enough pics to start a whole thread on my door refurb, I'll check and try to start a thread.

Overall though its pretty straightforward stuff. I had a roll of quietcrap that I laid inside the sheet metal, made new vapor barriers, and stuck some really thin foam to the inside of the interior panels...forget the name of it at the moment. New seals and stripping all around.
Will try to get a thread going on it to consolidate what all I did, but most the ideas came from various other threads in here.

DSCF1158.JPG
I, too, am working the doors of the 60. New Doorman regulator, Quietcrap on the outer door skin, pond liner to replace the plastic liner under the panel. No idea how it will work, but hey, God hates a coward.
My opinion after one door is that I will rework the OEM regulator rather than use the Doorman, unless there is visible damage to the OEM.
Pictures above of the driver's side OEM regulator vs. the Doorman aftermarket passenger side.

What makes you say that; is the Doorman noticeably lower quality?

Not terribly worse, just slightly thinner gear section, slightly smaller spring size, and the fact that the new aftermarket performance was very similar to the old stock performance. I think that since the only noticeable wear on my stock regulators was the plastic wheel bearings that run in the tracks, maybe I should have greased them up, and saved the $50 I spent on the aftermarket.

Of course, I ordered the replacements before I tore everything apart. In hindsight, I should have not assumed that the high mileage on the truck meant other parts were as worn.

Good point on the wear; I doubt my rear windows have much wear either and a good cleaning/relube will probably work fine.
I may just go with oem for my drivers door as it'll get quite a bit of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom