Winch for ARB bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dnp

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
For some reason, after multiple tries, I couldn't get the search function to work (and I'm pretty confident this subject has been discussed before, so please hold the flames, snide remarks, etc. - I need quick answers) What winches will fit on an ARB bull bar (I just bought a 3411050 ARB winch-ready bull bar for my 80) I have a WARN MX10000 D1 that's pretty old, and I'm not sure that it'll be able to be revived without a whole lot of work and expense. Therefore, if I have to go the new winch route, what all winches (other than the WARN M8000, M10000, and M12000) will work on this bumper without significant retrofit efforts? Do Superwinch, Mile Marker, Ramsey, etc. have models that will bolt right up? I presume the bigger the better, but do any of you have opinions on what's the most bang for the buck in a setup?

I've been advised that putting the winch in the bumper before installing the bumper is the best way to go, so since I'm itching to install the bumper, I'm needing to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks.

Take a look on ARB's website. I think they list the Winches that fit for the ARB Bull Bar. I am sure there are others that some of the experienced ones on here know about as well

I just went through this and decided on the M12000. I highly reccomend installing the winch on the bumper before installing. However, you might want to make sure the bumper slides over the frame horns before you install the winch as a test fit. I used an overhead hoist in my garage, which made lifting real easy. Check out the thread I started on this install: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/255276-update-mods-pics.html

hope this helps.

Last edited:
I too have a Warn 12000 in my ARB.

I went w/ a Warn M12000 because I knew it would bolt right in and that brand has been good to me so far.:)

Or you can go XD9000 if your on a budget.:D

WARN 9.5XP will fit fine with spacers from ARB. I have it on my rig. You do not have to remove the ARB bumper to install it. But be careful if you choose this winch, you must remove the motor and remove the drain plug so the motor would not be toasted down the rd. Another suggestion, Champion winch from Costco is very cost effective and good. a 10k winch runs about $370.

WARN 9.5XP will fit fine with spacers from ARB. I have it on my rig. You do not have to remove the ARB bumper to install it. But be careful if you choose this winch, you must remove the motor and remove the drain plug so the motor would not be toasted down the rd. Another suggestion, Champion winch from Costco is very cost effective and good. a 10k winch runs about $370.

I second this potential option. I have seen it in action. It is very surprising at that price point.

I had a similar delema a couple of months ago, the only difference is that I had a credit with Superwinch. I wanted the biggest that I could get. The Siperwinch 12.5K and the 15K are the same physical size. But after taking to ARB, the infomed me that if I anchorer back to my bumper, with the 15K, it may rip off the bumper. :whoops: NO GOOD. So, I decided to go with the Superwinch 12.5. Footprint wise it fit no problem. I did have to trim the top of the bumper a little bit, but all is well.

ARB also said that the M15000 would fit, but they did not have any warnings about anchoring back to the bumper and ripping it off......:hmm:....:confused:

tONy

smittybuit is good as well. used atleast once or twice a week for 7 years and no problems on my sr5

I dont see the justification in spending $1600 bucks for something I will use couple of hundred times in 7 seven years...unless i work with the winch

some people just love the WARN logo and are willing to pay

nothing wrong with that at all!

just buy what makes sense.

has anyone tried to fit the new zeon winch from WARN?

Last edited:
Lots of members on here have installed the Badlands winches from Harbor Freight. On sale they are $299.

I just installed a Engo 12k on my ARB. Got it from IPOR for $372 including shipping with 30%. Had to use 1/2" spacers between winch and arb at the mounting holes. The roller leed supplied works but an actual warn one would be better. I put it in after the bumper was on. I first clocked the housing so the engagment handle is on top when mounted.

-I cut a piece of 3/4" ply to fit on top of the frame rails under the winch location.
-Dropped the winch from the top onto the ply.
-Measured the distance between mounting holes for shimmimg
-Shimmed it up so holes lined up. Totally hands free with no help needed
-Put in the four mounting bolts
-Went underneath and cut the ply out with a sawzal

I just installed a Engo 12k on my ARB. Got it from IPOR for $372 including shipping with 30%. Had to use 1/2" spacers between winch and arb at the mounting holes. The roller leed supplied works but an actual warn one would be better. I put it in after the bumper was on. I first clocked the housing so the engagment handle is on top when mounted.

-I cut a piece of 3/4" ply to fit on top of the frame rails under the winch location.
-Dropped the winch from the top onto the ply.
-Measured the distance between mounting holes for shimmimg
-Shimmed it up so holes lined up. Totally hands free with no help needed
-Put in the four mounting bolts
-Went underneath and cut the ply out with a sawzal

Good tips, thanks!

Lots of members on here have installed the Badlands winches from Harbor Freight. On sale they are $299.

I second this. $299 (actually on sale right now) for a 12k winch brand new is hard to beat. You can also use the 20% off coupon on top of that. Dang good deal.

I can chime in .. I installed the TJM 9000 Synthetic Stealth Winch $679.. to my door.
It required one spacer and I had to clock the winch handle to clear the bumper.. Initially I installed it on the bumper and then hoisted the combo on the truck.. But have since removed it leaving the bumper on the truck to make a few small changes and then reinstalled it... Comes with a kill switch...A wireless remote and a plug in controller

Lou

I installed a Superwinch Talon 9.5k with synthetic line on my ARB. The winch with synthetic line was light enough to be installed with the bumper on the truck, just needed a helper to get the bolts started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom