Why is it so hard to buy new gas cans?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only problem: they appear to be $100 a piece!

They're not cheap.

But the convenience makes them worth it, IMO.

Originally Posted by skidplate [URL="http://forumcdn.ih8mud.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif"][URL="http://forumcdn.ih8mud.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif"][URL="http://forumcdn.ih8mud.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif"] [/URL][/URL][/URL]
I just received these from sportsmansguide.com for $26.99 ea. They're brand new, burped when I opened them, and yes they're made in China. Will see how they hold up in time. I'm kinda surprised they shipped non red, old school cans to kalifernia no less. I just couldn't pass them up for the price considering the red plastic ones I posted earlier are now $30.99.:mad:

How are those cans working, I just orderd some that say U.S. Surplus made in U.S.A. I am not sure if they are the same thing that you ordered but figured I would take a chance.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab.aspx?a=984598

These cans came in Saturday, Seem to be ok but they are not made in U.S.A but USA Made @#%* as the website says. They are made in china by US Spec Corp.. Sorry for passing along the worng info, SG is going to get a call from me.
20130128_144204[1].jpg
20130128_144242[1].jpg

Last edited:
How are those cans working, I just orderd some that say U.S. Surplus made in U.S.A. I am not sure if they are the same thing that you ordered but figured I would take a chance.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab.aspx?a=984598

Those are exactly the ones I bought. So far, good!

One leaked until I reseated the rubber gasket. Have 2 5 gallons sitting on their side in the back of the truck right now.. time will tell if they leak vs typical jostling.

The cans I got were brand new, made in china, of course. I did see in their new catalog that they have the US surplus ones for the same price. Both of my new cans have gas in them and have no leaks. Had I known about the surplus ones I think I would have gotten those, but so far I'm pleased with the new ones.

I've been using 5 gal plastic cans for a couple years now refueling my plane. I use a siphon (the one with the brass ball) and run it through a Mister filter. No runs, no drips, no errors.

Of all companies, Briggs and Stratten has a fuel can that is NATO style. Briggsandstratten.com

sad but true, the US govt is collecting surplus cans..scrapping then selling scrap to china..then we buy inferior (to NATO) cans made from US steel..ironic or moronic..not sure which..

The cans I got were brand new, made in china, of course. I did see in their new catalog that they have the US surplus ones for the same price. Both of my new cans have gas in them and have no leaks. Had I known about the surplus ones I think I would have gotten those, but so far I'm pleased with the new ones.

Look how its worded...its NOT surplus, its surplus "STYLE" so, its very misleading. true NATO cans start at 60 bucks, needed two for my build,went to a few USmilitary surplus shops,talked to a bunch of Vets..the real surplus ones are virtually impossible to find..

Those are exactly the ones I bought. So far, good!

One leaked until I reseated the rubber gasket. Have 2 5 gallons sitting on their side in the back of the truck right now.. time will tell if they leak vs typical jostling.

The reason you could buy these cans for use Kalifornia is the color. Only cans red in color are legal for portable gasoline storage!

You can be cited if the cans are found to be holding gasoline and there have been a few instances of tickets issued for fuel storage in non-approved cans containing gasoline in the back of trucks. This has been discussed on the motorcycle racing sites here in SoCal.

According to my CHP neighbor, usually the only time a citation would be issued, is when the driver is a problem, an accident or a spill. He did say the the officer on scene has the right to consider this a hazard and call in the HazMat crews and the vehicle owner/driver would get the bill! The owner could also be liable for any damage caused by use of non-approved containers.

There is a CHP in the Victorville area of SoCal, who loves to pull people over and check cans for gas in non-approved containers that were manufactured after the CARB date.

Stupid!

Doug

I use the standard 5 gallon steel cans you can buy from Atwoods. Last one I bought was around $30 but that was 5 years ago at least. With the screw on steel lids. I have a US military surplus one in green.. same style I haul diesel in it for my *whatever*.
Yes they are a pain but never leak, are completely useless without detachable metal pour spout, and are painted red. :)

I'm also fed up with garden variety plastic gas container. They leak, spouts are too short, etc. A few months back, the Princess Auto here in Ottawa had a bunch of NATO Spec Scepter water and gas containers. I was ready to check out thinking they were CAN$60.00, but it was another CAN$30 plus for just the spout. I returned it - $100 for a gas can?:mad: The other thing is what do you do with the spout, and how do you keep it clean?

I ended up with 2 gal blemished rotopax... but mostly because you can mount it on things.

Heres a pic of the Septer can that is under 20 bucks, that I mentioned in the previous post, no leaks even under pressure. It comes with the funky CARB spout that I never use. I just use a plastic funnel and pour it in.

These are the ones I use...plastic Septer. I take a pump handle with me. It looks like a gas station pump and has a long tube on it. I put the tube in the gas can, the pump nose in the gas tank and pump 2 or 3 times. It empties the gas can really quickly and I don't have to stand there holding it. I have the Slee rear bumper with the gas can rack that holds 3 of these cans. It gives me 3/4 of a tank of gas on my back bumper. I leave the cans in the holder when I pump the gas into my gas tank. No gas on my hands and I simply store the hose in a garbage baggie in the back of my truck. Very cool system.

IMG_0433 - Copy2 - Copy.jpg

How about putting one of those boat 12 gal gastanks on top and just syphen it out ,ore is that agains the law.
Thx

I'm also fed up with garden variety plastic gas container. They leak, spouts are too short, etc. A few months back, the Princess Auto here in Ottawa had a bunch of NATO Spec Scepter water and gas containers. I was ready to check out thinking they were CAN$60.00, but it was another CAN$30 plus for just the spout. I returned it - $100 for a gas can?:mad: The other thing is what do you do with the spout, and how do you keep it clean?

Update: I finally broke down and picked up two almost new Scepter NATO/Mil spec plastic fuel containers on kijiji Ottawa for $125 incl spout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom