Why is it so hard to buy new gas cans?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Nuff said.

I just want something I can reliably go buy retail. Somebody, take my money and give me a gas can that works / packs flat.

Most gas cans on Amazon.com (where I trust long-term reviews on products like this) are <<< 2 stars.

About the only one I can find with good ratings is:
http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-F...1355093000&sr=8-2&keywords=gasoline+container

Metal jerry cans/old cans are a hassle to locate, buy new seals for, ensure they don't rust, make sure they don't leak, etc. Not to mention the market is confusing over various years and brands and availability inconsistent.

Scepter milspec ones seem to have to be imported for $120. Their consumer ones are consistently rated badly.

Any suggestions?

I bought one of these in the past
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt...355093000&sr=8-11&keywords=gasoline+container

But it got stolen. Wasn't a bad can though.. No hassle.

I just find it odd there's no consistent market leader. At this rate, I will have to scour classifieds.

I just want some cans for a trip to Colorado / and who knows what kind of detours on the way!

I've considered something like a marine tank but it's not gonna be easy to fill unless it fits in the trunk.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe..._kwcid=goobase_goobase_filler&cID=GSHOP_36866

Last edited:
The answer to your question is politicians think they're saving the world by regulating of all things, gas cans! That Briggs one you mentioned is probably your best bet. I also have a couple of Septer plastic ones that I bought at Pep Boys that I really like. I was at Harbor freight yesterday and they just got a shipment of the Septer ones, they hadn't even priced them yet. They're not the mil. spec. ones, but still very sturdy. I think there is is thread about them in this forum.

Why the obsession with steel gas cans? I have used Sceptre plastic gas cans for over 25 yrs. I like the 5 gal ones, they don't leak, fumes or fuel. They weigh very little and the new dual vent spouts work perfectly. They weigh much less than steel, and personally, I don't drive over them so they are strong enough. What are you looking for?

Why the obsession with steel gas cans? I have used Sceptre plastic gas cans for over 25 yrs. I like the 5 gal ones, they don't leak, fumes or fuel. They weigh very little and the new dual vent spouts work perfectly. They weigh much less than steel, and personally, I don't drive over them so they are strong enough. What are you looking for?

I have no obsession with steel gas. I have an obsession with buying any 5 gallon can that packs flat (sure, plastic jerry can) that I can buy at this minute and throw it on my truck!
A lot of these plastic cans have really, really consistently bad reviews.

Can you point me towards some scepters that you recommend? I hope you're not talking about the ones they stopped selling here since CARB.

I'd much appreciate it!

Heres a pic of the Septer can that is under 20 bucks, that I mentioned in the previous post, no leaks even under pressure. It comes with the funky CARB spout that I never use. I just use a plastic funnel and pour it in.
011.jpg

That one above is the one I use. Mine are the old ones with the separate vent. I am unaware of your regulations. But I can usually get 5 1/2 gal on mine if I'm going backcountry. I can't begin to justify the price of those flat 3 or 5 gal containers that start at a retail price of $95 +! But I've had nothing but excellent results with the Sceptre cans, I use 5 gal, 21/2 gal, and one gal cans for my quad. On Saturday I flipped my quad in a really bad crash in a creek bed, the entire weight of a CanAm 800 rolled right over the two cans on the back. Not only did they not leak, it didn't even leave a mark on them. The steel rack on the back has nice shiny rock marks on it. I was very impressed.
Good luck, but you can lay the 5 gal can flat if you really screw that cap on tight, and vent the excess air by squeezing the can first as well.

Why is it so hard to buy new gas cans??

First the EPA decided to place air quality regulations on them - effectively making you spill more than the old ones ever vented.

Then the class action lawyers are working to put them out of business...

Hi, I use old German metal gas tanks. After 20 plus years no leaks or problems . I still see them at car shows and flee markets. My plastic ones always end up rotting due to sun light. Mike

That one above is the one I use. Mine are the old ones with the separate vent. I am unaware of your regulations. But I can usually get 5 1/2 gal on mine if I'm going backcountry. I can't begin to justify the price of those flat 3 or 5 gal containers that start at a retail price of $95 +! But I've had nothing but excellent results with the Sceptre cans, I use 5 gal, 21/2 gal, and one gal cans for my quad. On Saturday I flipped my quad in a really bad crash in a creek bed, the entire weight of a CanAm 800 rolled right over the two cans on the back. Not only did they not leak, it didn't even leave a mark on them. The steel rack on the back has nice shiny rock marks on it. I was very impressed.
Good luck, but you can lay the 5 gal can flat if you really screw that cap on tight, and vent the excess air by squeezing the can first as well.

Yeah it seems most of the review issues are due to the CARB spout, not the thing itself. Too bad these days the scepters are not $20 but $30-40!

I just did a bit of looking, I had no idea about this CARB thing in the US. At least for now in Canada we still have some old fashioned stuff. I did find the Scepters website. They have a list of dealers. From what i hear they are indestructable, and the military style cans don't leak at all. I'm not sure on the price.
http://www.sceptermilitary.com/fuel_containers/distributors/
This would be a good way to compare Canada to US. I'll wait until after holiday season and then look at the prices here.

I just had a look at the local distributor, here is a link. I have to agree, these things are expensive, not to mention a proper spout would also need to be ordered. Sort of learn as we go. These listings are new, so possibly used cans could be found cheaper.
http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?cPath=16_54

I just had a look at the local distributor, here is a link. I have to agree, these things are expensive, not to mention a proper spout would also need to be ordered. Sort of learn as we go. These listings are new, so possibly used cans could be found cheaper.
http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?cPath=16_54

I'd buy that in a heart beat. Those cost $120 here. Maybe time to smuggle some over the border!

Maybe I'll take a road trip up to CA? I'm in OR and ~10 hours from the border.

It's annoying that even after finding a competent can, we still have to deal with getting pulled over since it's not a red can. I'll just steer clear of Kali.

I just received these from sportsmansguide.com for $26.99 ea. They're brand new, burped when I opened them, and yes they're made in China. Will see how they hold up in time. I'm kinda surprised they shipped non red, old school cans to kalifernia no less. I just couldn't pass them up for the price considering the red plastic ones I posted earlier are now $30.99.:mad:
002.jpg
006.jpg

I just received these from sportsmansguide.com for $26.99 ea. They're brand new, burped when I opened them, and yes they're made in China. Will see how they hold up in time. I'm kinda surprised they shipped non red, old school cans to kalifernia no less. I just couldn't pass them up for the price considering the red plastic ones I posted earlier are now $30.99.:mad:

Oh hell yeah!! I'm buying 2!

It's 29.99 for me, but thats... way better.

Thank you for posting!!:cheers:

Yeah it seems most of the review issues are due to the CARB spout, not the thing itself. Too bad these days the scepters are not $20 but $30-40!

I saw the 5 gal Sceptre red gas cans for sale regular price with the new CARB spout in Canadian Tire here for $19.95. I have about 6-8 of them now, bulletproof! For once, something might be cheaper in Canada?!?!?!

I saw the 5 gal Sceptre red gas cans for sale regular price with the new CARB spout in Canadian Tire here for $19.95. I have about 6-8 of them now, bulletproof! For once, something might be cheaper in Canada?!?!?!

Absolutely, you guys get Scepter mil spec cans for $60 while 1: they aren't even sold here / illegal, and 2: they are $120!!

I've never used them, but the Rotopax containers look pretty slick, and would pack well.

+1 on the Rotopax.

Love how they fit together side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom