Who uses GAIA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Chris for setting up the free pro sub. Now do I get it for an Ipad or Samsung??

I like the iOS version of the app better. But my Android tablet is pretty ancient and my unlocked Motorola phone isn't the latest greatest piece of technology either. My guess is it is account dependent and not device so once you are signed up you will have Pro on Android and iOS.

Support already sent me to the same link but I could not get it to work:( When it comes to stuff like this Im always challenged.:redface:

I also found my ipad was much faster than my Samsung tablet:meh: Another member suggested using a bluetooth? hard drive to give me the storage Im looking for using an iPad.

I don't know how well a BT hard drive would work with an app running. I have always heard that was more for media (music, photos, etc)

You might try downloading an app called Power Clean for Android. It has an app manager function and allows you to move apps to the SD card vs internal storage. Although I found it pretty easy to change in the app. Start GAIA, go to the settings page, scroll down to where you see Storage, tap Root Folder a window will pop up and let you choose your SD card. That's it.

Last edited:
I have had GAIA for about 6mos. I have barely used it, however. Downloaded it along with Earthmate and Back country Explorer Pro all within minutes of one another.

I use all of my mapping software on my Galaxy Tablet. A huge point would be the ability to load maps on an SD card. The hard drive-in storage is way too limiting.

See the instructions I posted up for Phil on moving your GAIA data to the SD card. BCP is popular but I have no experience with it.

I just heard back from GAIA and the codes are now ready so have at it! If you are already a Pro Subscriber you will get a year free as well tacked on to your existing subscription.

I am also using Gaia, currently paying for their cloud service $3.99 a month. Is this included with the free pro upgrade? I also moved my file cache to my SD card on my phone, but it's still taking up over 2.5GB of space on my phone storage, Android user.

I have been using Locus with USGS maps.
And have connected it with my GPS app, GPS status pro.

I'll have to check out this GAIA.
Thanks!

Screenshot_2016-05-27-06-02-45.png

Screenshot_2016-05-27-05-53-59.png

Screenshot_2016-05-27-06-03-35.png

I am also using Gaia, currently paying for their cloud service $3.99 a month. Is this included with the free pro upgrade? I also moved my file cache to my SD card on my phone, but it's still taking up over 2.5GB of space on my phone storage, Android user.
Cloud service is free. You are paying the monthly vs annual price for Pro. Email support and see what they can do. I would just cancel the monthly first before changing over.

Got my subscription. Now I just need to decide which mobile app to get. I have a 2nd gen iPad, but I was thinking about buying one of the Amazon fire tablets that are around $40 for the Cruiser.

I use a Chromebook too. Is there any way to get the program to work with a laptop, and not just a mobile device?

Got my subscription. Now I just need to decide which mobile app to get. I have a 2nd gen iPad, but I was thinking about buying one of the Amazon fire tablets that are around $40 for the Cruiser.

Make sure they are GPS enabled/have location services. The Fires I have looked at were not capable of operating mapping software for that reason.

Make sure they are GPS enabled/have location services. The Fires I have looked at were not capable of operating mapping software for that reason.

You are correct. Out of the box, they aren't. With some minor tweaks and an external Bluetooth GPS, I am up and running.

Looking forward to testing it out this weekend. Hopefully @1Louder can give a quick class on Gaia at some point.

You are correct. Out of the box, they aren't. With some minor tweaks and an external Bluetooth GPS, I am up and running.

Looking forward to testing it out this weekend. Hopefully @1Louder can give a quick class on Gaia at some point.

Probably not going to happen this weekend.. :( This would be weekend 3 on the road and while some would say "what's your point?" I really want to experience the 115 degrees temps! Sigh....But yes I am happy to help at some point. I did some exploring of Sycamore Canyon (west side) this past weekend and Gaia was a big help. We worked our way back home via Perkinsville and the backway to Jerome which was very scenic.

Last edited:
I've been half heartedly using Gaia Pro for a couple years. Initially, map zoom was an issue. Downloading the "right" size tiles was a pain and finding out in the field zoom was limited to "continent" made me happy I had printed paper maps, too. It isn't a lot better today, but once you deal with low res maps while out there, you learn quickly to live with that pain at home.

To be honest, I never noticed a difference between Gaia and Gaia Pro - more map options (seems like lots of duplication), and Gaia Pro didn't lock up (aka crash) as often (lock ups was why the Gaia folks offered me free upgrades).

I should note that my hat's off to the Gaia support team; top notch and very willing to help regardless the issue.

I'm running Gaia Pro on a cheap Dell 6" Android tablet (old 4.x Android, with no hope of upgrading).

GWCruiser, I don't really understand your zoom issues. You can zoom down to 200ft which is very detailed and when you download maps you have the option of setting the level of detail you want. Just choose Max Zoom 15 and you get 1:24000, Max Zoom of 14 1:48000 and then on down the line. Having an older slower tablet will cause issues with lots of apps. Gaia runs great on my 2 year old iPad but much slower on my original Nexus 7 Android tablet.

You can do layers in Gaia Pro. That is the biggest difference. Other than that here's the list. https://www.gaiagps.com/gaiapro/#/overview

Louder, the concept of downloading a map with less resolution than you browse at is foreign to me; and the notion I'd even request a map at 1:1,000,000 is even less so. Add that, when I started, the app didn't even have a zoom indicator; even now the zoom setting in Gaia, for downloads, is not exactly obvious; at least to me.

It was a sore point because I actually paid for the app. Today, now that I know and understand the quirks, I can use the app. Why there isn't a color blind friendly map available still bothers me, but that's a different topic.

Louder, the concept of downloading a map with less resolution than you browse at is foreign to me; and the notion I'd even request a map at 1:1,000,000 is even less so. Add that, when I started, the app didn't even have a zoom indicator; even now the zoom setting in Gaia, for downloads, is not exactly obvious; at least to me.

It's a powerful app. Powerful apps require a bit of training. The reason for the option of downloading less detailed map is for storage reasons. Some folks don't have the available storage. Also, some don't need that level of detail. My reason for replying is so people understand there is not a glitch in the app. At least not in the current version or many of the previous versions with regards to map downloads. In iOS at least. I don't use the Android version often but I acknowledge that it was a less polished product for a long time. It is a matter of learning how to use the app. The app defaults to 15 (1:24000) There is only 1 level higher. 16 is 1:12000

Have you looked at USFS Raster maps? I would think they would be reasonably color blind friendly. While the road labels are red there is not a lot of color to the maps.

Last edited:
A powerful app would allow me to recolor maps... lol. Roads black, rivers blue, elevation green. Why folk with color vision use chartruese for roads and srgb 0000FF (bright green) for elevation and 00007F for everything else astounds me. It's like taking a color vision test every time I look at maps these days.

That said, powerful doesn't imply difficult to understand and use... a common fallacy promoted by many software engineers. Good UI design (key word DESIGN) is easy to do, but good UI designers are few and far between. Sorry - my HW/SW design and Product Manager hat slipped on.

As for raster maps, most of them don't have the resolution needed for off road (and they suck up space), and I don't recall seeing them on Gaia; I did download a set of tiles on my PC, but PDF doesn't link to the GPS too easily.

As for stability? Right now have three USGS CalTopo maps showing as my base map; and the map screen is blank... lol. v6.5.12, last sync'd 8/22. Open Hiking, Satellite, and USGS Topo maps are all showing duplicate or triplicate entries in Base Map selector.

To work around this defect I have to load a saved map, then go back to the base map chooser. All because I started the app with WiFi and GPS off ...

In Gaia, USGS NF maps are not available (choice is there but maps never load); but ESRI Topo's are the most color abnormal friendly on the list.

I'm pretty sure the USGS maps are gone. Err FS maps. Whatever shows the actual FS roads are gone. I did a trip to the North Rim of the GCanyon back in May. Nothing. Contacted their support, and they said that there was nothing they could do. The whole reason I have the app and service is to be able to find FS roads out here in the West.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom