1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who makes best/most durable tools?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by crappyone, Jan 30, 2005.

1. crappyone

crappyone

Looking to start getting my own tools. I own absolutely NONE. I want to know, who makes the best Tools? I mean the only tools I know of are generic or Craftsman. Is Craftsman the best? I figured I'd Start off with a Set off Sockets. Or should I just get the few that I need? I searched and found a thread with basic socket sizes so I might just do that. But besides Sockets....I don't know what else to get...or would be used. How bout a Good Jack? Is there a certain kind I'd need since truck sits up kinda high? How bout also a Impact wrench? With that do I just buy and use any Air compressor? Well What do you think? Sockets, Jack, and Impact Wrench? Tell me if there are more important tools I should look at getting first. Or are there just a MAD amount of different tools needed for the truck I need to be specific on what I'd be working with the tools on? I am just learning about the LC and vehicles in general, so I'll only be doing basic maintenance...like Changing of fluids and tune ups and whatnot. Well thanks for help

2. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

The best deal is one of the big Craftsman too sets that come in their own case. The ones with around 200 pieces are a good start. You'll need some specific tools too, which you'll find about as you go.

3. Josh83

Josh83

For consumer grade, I like Craftsman Professional and Husky(made by Snap-On). They both offer smooth edges on handles and polished surfaces for easy cleanup. For industrial grade, my favorite is Proto made by Stanley, but if you are just starting your collection that is probobly more than you need(or want). For reference, last week at work I ordered a set of metric allen head sockets that was a set of 8 I think. Came in a blow molded case and it was $95. Not typically worth it for your typical shadetree mechanic. For air tools, I don't use them enough to have a preference, just make sure you get the one with the highest amount of reversing torque you can afford(this aids in breaking stubborn bolts loose). Also look into air ratchets. I find them useful for more things than an impact wrench. Also, if you are using air tools you want to use impact sockets on them. Normal sockets are not up to the power generated with air tools.

Edit: You also want to make sure you get 6 point sockets. They are considerably stronger than 12 pointers.

4. mooker82

mooker82

Craftsman tools are what I have..the sets are good deals and they take returns with no questions asked.

5. srafj40

srafj40

Craftsman, but I dream of STRAP-ON (Snap-On).

6. Junk

Junk

Might want to ask in Outfitting :D

Depends on what it is. For screwdrivers, I prefer Matco. For rachets I prefer Mac. Some wrenches and sockets are Snap-on.

For ease of dealing with problems, Craftsman is hard to beat. Snap-on, Mac, Matco etc all have some great tools, but you are at the mercy of the dealer you are working with. If they didle around getting out to replace something then the guarantee isn't much good.

Jacks, air tools etc.... don't know about where you are, but here in buggerville it seems like every week some shop is closing up. You can buy their used stuff at a steal. That said, I have a craftsman jack because it's the 2 pump to load model. Impact - I have a couple, but the best one I have is the IR Thunder Gun. I have a butterfly I picked up for like $5 at a shop close sale etc. Compressor - just got a new IR about 2 years ago - see the model I quoted in Outfitting.

I really think if you are starting out, trying to buy used is the way to go. You may be able to buy a whole bunch of stuff at a great deal, then replace anything you need to as you move on. It would suck to have a $300 set of snap on combo wrenches only to really need a nut driver instead but passed on the nut driver because you dropped too much coin on the combo wrenches.

Just my view though.

7. crappyone

crappyone

Cool thank you all. And Sorry Junk didn't see. Go ahead and Move to Outfitting. My bad. Yeah I'll definately look into used tools. Thanks for help. I'll take a quick look through ebay see what they have. Are there any other places online anyone know of for Used tools? Thanks again.

8. medtro

medtro

Are you talking about the Husky tools from Home Depot? Most of the Husky tools I see there are made in Taiwan. Is Snap-on made in Taiwan now?

9. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Home Depot line of Husky are just not up to the task, took them back and purchased IR(Ingersol Rand).

If I had the money I would buy a Matco tool chest.

Personally the tool chests are way over priced for bent tin with full extension roller drawers,IMO.

10. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Snap on and matco are pricey....

I have craftsman mostly. good quality stuff, and sears will replaces it no matter what. take it to sears and get a new one, no questions asked. (Even if ure not the original owner, LOL!)

good quality reasonable price, unbeatable guarnatee.... unles sure opening up for business, these toold should be up to the task.

Fred

11. KLF

KLF Frame waxer

DON'T BUY SNAP-ON. They USED to be worth the money, but not any more. Unless you can get some cheaper used stuff at a pawn shop or on eBay.

I just bought a big set of Snap-On tools for my son last fall, it's the TOYAS set, he's studying now to be a Toyota Technician. Most of the tools are CRAP, stuff you'd find at WalMart, some of it looks like Harbor Freight junk. Plus, they didn't send us everything, we're STILL waiting on some of the tools 2 months later. Their Customer Service absolutely SUCKS.

Stick with Craftsman, I wish we had. I'll never buy another new Snap-On tool again, and neither will my son.

12. MUDCRZR

MUDCRZR

I've got a little bit of everything but if I was going to buy a socket set I'ed get one of those laser etched sets from Craftsman. Right on with the six point stuff. If you want air tools go with Chicago Pneumatic.

13. crappyone

crappyone

Will any air compressor work? Or does it have to have a certain psi? Thanks again. A good friend of mine's mom is one of the managers for Sears. I should see if he could get me discount on some tools. Thanks again

14. MUDCRZR

MUDCRZR

Well psi is just one of the many things...but it really depends on what you are using it for. Spray painting....running an impact wrench or whatever. Do you need a 220V or will a 120V system fit the bill. How big of a tank....do you need portability?? Whatever you choose, use a water trap and regulator.

15. KLF

KLF Frame waxer

Just make sure any air compressor you get is NOT one of those "oil-free" units. They're all VERY noisy. You want something that's belt-driven, with a oil sump in the compressor. Try to run it on 240V is possible. Make sure you get a GOOD regulator, and a filter/water seperator.

I really like my IR and Porter Cable air tools. Be sure to oil them often, like every time you pull them out of the toolbox to use it.

16. Josh83

Josh83

Sorry, I meant Kobalt(from Lowe's). I have a few of their wrenches in my wheeling tool kit and have been happy with them. Personally, I think the newer snap-on stuff sucks just because it is no better than the Kobalt and it is WAY more expensive.

17. mabrodis

mabrodis

The oil-free compressors are very loud, no doubt, they work fine, and are the most cost effective ones by far...the noise isn't too bad if you can put it in another room, or outside, etc.. :D

I have mostly Craftsman tools, with some Stanely and Harbor Freight mixed in (I have some Harbor Freight extentions, impact sockets, etc, things that even with cheap tools you can't hurt).

I bought the set from Sears in the 4-drawer plastic chest, 249 piece or something, a very good set I'd say, doesn't have 'everything' but a great starter set. I use normal sockets all the time with my impact gun (Husky Pro from Home Depot for $99, 500 ftlbs of torque, which is about the most short of the IR Thundergun, REALLY good impact gun, I've had several 240 ftlb cheap junk ones, don't do that, just buy a good one from the start!) and I've broken a few sockets, but Sears always replaces them no problem, so that's cool.

You want lots of hand wrenches, any set will come with some, but you need more, even if it's a Stanley set from Walmart, make sure you have some more wrenches. I have a set of the gear-wrench reversible ones off Ebay, the every-mm set, wow is that nice!! Also I have a set of Z-wrenches from Harbor Freight, hardly use them but when you need the angle and all that, they are a charm and honestly I have really beat on them, never broke a one. Lots of extentions, get some wobble extentions too, I don't have any but wish I did. Also make sure you have adapters, almost everyone has the 3/8"->1/'4" and the 1/2"->3/8", but what about 1/4"->3/8" and 3/8"->1/2", you'll use those more than you think, for example when you need to get to something but a 1/2" ratchet is too big, so you setup the same socket but with an adapter on a 3/8" ratchet...very useful to have those adapters.

The downside to knowing what you really need is most of the sale items at Sears and such won't fit the bill, normally around Christmas they have some 5-7 piece set of wrenches for like $10, and that's great if you need them, but I have all of those, they just put in the normal sizes...to have a real 'set' you need ALL the sizes (ever found out you don't have a 18mm wrench at 2:00am..I have!), so the same sets over and over do no good, better to just buy a big set from the start. I always wanted to buy a bigger Craftsman set, like $600+, but never could bring myself to do it...should have though.

I like that plastic 4-drawer set from Sears because it already has it's own case, is actually pretty durable (not like a steel chest, but it's not that heavy either)...I've been pretty impressed with it.

You can find alot of tools at Pawn shops and such, but most are $$$$, you can always offer WAY less and see if you can get it, remember with tools a 'used' tool is pretty much good as new, so buying used you really lose nothing.

Good luck, buying tools is fun...hmm...don't I need something!! :D

18. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

For an air compressor, id say a good rule of thumb is 4.0 cfm at 90 PSI.... that should run almost anything...

that s a good $300 or so air compressor....

FOr craftsman, join that craftsman tool club thingy.... You get %10 off when u buy tools on "Craftsman Club Days" The local store up in Janesville has at least one craftsman club day a month-- usally a saturday. Often times, they will have more than one, and oft times special sale prices only for members, etc.

It cost nothing to join-- the only cost is getting more junk mail and or sales phone calls. That 's why I have a postal drop and fake telephone number. ;)

Fred

19. secretagent

secretagent

go with china or tiawan made :flipoff2:

20. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

If you want a good set of tool w/out paying Snap-on/Mac prices go for the Craftsman Professional grade. It'll do the job well.