White Carburetor Corrosion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BretwithoneT

SILVER Star
Threads
I searched here and on the internets and got tons of "try this" but only one "I did this and it worked." to get rid of this white corrosion in my carb bowl and plunger chamber. Before I use toilet bowl cleaner on this, does anyone know the best possible way to get this white corrosion off permanently? It sat in Berrymans Carb Cleaner for 2 days and the outside is clean and purty but this white stuff remains. 65 SD40 single bbl Aisan.
Carb Corrosion.jpg

I've had good results with simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner. I recently tried this on a pair of IDF 44's that had a little water in them. The so called "carb cleaners" are useless and not your dads carb cleaner anymore. EPA has regulated them ineffective

Pinesol worked pretty well in conjunction with ultrasonic too.

Knock as much of the big chunks as possible out 1st.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to soda blast most of it off but was looking for some chemical something to get in the passages.

Trollhole, do you brush, spray or soak it in methylene chloride and where do you get it?

Berrymans b12 in the gallon bucket take the carb apart soak the hard parts overnight and itll look brand new

I use ultra fine roloc discs (grey) in my angle die grinder. I also have tiny one inch 3m radial bristle brushes on my rotary tool, white, for ultra fine. Got the bristle brushes from a jewelers supply.

Just to update and hopefully help someone else. Took the big stuff out with a wire brush and then used "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner from Dollar General. Really came out nice and clean, even in the small passages. Got the suggestion from searching the internets for days on end. Read up on Trollhole's suggestion of methylene chloride but didn't really want to mess with that stuff, really nasty.

so, how does the truck run now?

Unfortunately, she's got a lot more work coming before she'll be running...

Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom