Which tire is better for 100, Michelin M/S2 or Michelin AT. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Then I need to go out the garage and tell my tires they were done 20k miles ago. I've got 60k on a set of A/T2's and lots of tread left. 20k to 30k more easily.....

Noise is relative, and again, I've had both Michelins mentioned (M/S and A/T). I find the A/T2 to be quiet and never have had a passenger make comment.

As for the Latitudes, I put them on the LX at first. They didn't last long at all. Wouldn't do that again...

Warranty to 55k I should get 40k which is all I need.

They are rated #1 on tirerack and that is based on the average of the reviews. All the reviews I read except for a couple of strange ones were great. I bought the OEM MicHelin Latitudes because they were the OEM tires and my LX is under warranty, these should need changing when my warranty is up then I will go more aggressive. Two reasons I did not get the MS2's, did not come in OEM size and I was afraid it could affect my warranty and I was afraid if I got them they would never wear out and I would not be able to get a more aggressive tire in 40k miles when my warranty was up. Made sense to me

There's more than one review complaining that the MS/2 were done by 30k miles. That would be my main concern with them.

I run 275/65-18.

Tire threads certainly are entertaining.

^ Yup tire threads are like oil threads. To the OP, depends on what your needs are - want a very quiet ride with good snow capabilities, get the MS2, want more off road capability and don't mind road noise, get the AT2.

I had MS2 on the 4Runner and rotated the spare thru and got 110k. And that was over 6.5 years. Great even wear and great for mileage. I'm a Michelin bigot now like Toyota. That said the new BFG KO2 (by Michelin) look really promising.

There's more than one review complaining that the MS/2 were done by 30k miles. That would be my main concern with them.
Thats the last thing you need to worry about with the MS2, those people must have been running Load Range C tires on a 3/4 ton truck or something without enough air pressure.

Another vote for the MS2 in 275/65/18 here....

Anyone running 275/70/R18? I know the most popular is the 65, but I wouldn't mind running 70s if it wouldn't rub. My 100 is stock, no lift.

Does anyone know how much louder the AT's are compared to the MS? I have a set of MS on my LX right now and like them (other than the sidewalls and treads showing small cracks). Tires will be the first part of slow build over the next couple years. Right now it's a daily driver and sees occasional ranch use and does okay with the MS.

I looked at other cheaper tires, but the little extra for Michelin is worth it to me. So considering only the ATs and MSs.

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, the AT2 is a bit noisier than the MS2, but not much. In fact, you may find new AT2 to be quieter than worn MS, if your MS have some miles on them. With the AT2, there is a quiet hum of road noise in the cabin when on concrete pavement. Both the AT2 and MS2 are smooth quiet tires on smooth asphalt pavement. To be honest, since most of our main roads in Michigan are broken up concrete, I've found the standard load MS2 at 32 psi make for a relaxing highway trip related to comfort and noise when compared to the AT2. Take a look at the surveys on the Tire Rack for each tire if you want some broader perspective. In the end, I would make the decision based on what you use your truck for and not on noise. If you use the truck mostly on pavement, go MS2; a lot of off, go AT2.

Good info in ITT so I'll keep it going. I am looking for a good Michelin for my '04 LX which rarely sees any dirt. Of course the only OEM tire available for the '03 - '07s was the Latitude...until now! It appears that Michelin is phasing out the LTX M/S2 and releasing the Defender LTX M/S in September. I had MS/2s on my '02 LX and loved them. Looks like I found my tire...just have to wait a few more weeks.

I put 275/60-18 Michelin Latitudes on my wifes LX last year. Got about 15k on them so far, only rotate every 10k...they still look pretty new. I got about 45k out of a set on her previous car (2011 Acura MDX) and they always did everything predictably. They are quite expensive though and with the Lexus I do want to help the ride. So I will probably go with a 275/65-18 next time around. Sticking with Michelin and will probably try the LTX M/S2. My mother's 1999 LX had the first gen version on from the factory and they always rode amazing, and we sold it with 72k on it and they were still on there.

Last edited:
Good info in ITT so I'll keep it going. I am looking for a good Michelin for my '04 LX which rarely sees any dirt. Of course the only OEM tire available for the '03 - '07s was the Latitude...until now! It appears that Michelin is phasing out the LTX M/S2 and releasing the Defender LTX M/S in September. I had MS/2s on my '02 LX and loved them. Looks like I found my tire...just have to wait a few more weeks.

@MuscleWagon - thanks for the info! hmm they are phasing out LTX M/S2. Wonder if I can catch them doing some fire sale on their last few tires in the inventory. I been back and forth between different models (M/S2 vs AT2, or even BFG KO2) and different sizes, but I may just get M/S2 if the price is right. We had M/S2 in our Sequoia, and love it. Smooth, very quiet, good traction in rain, and snow. Even works fine for occasional off-road.

Last edited:
FWIW, the new Tundra TRD PRO comes with the Michelin LTX M/S2 (275/65/18).

$.02 for you.
Had the A/T's on 2 4Runners before they went to A/T2 - fantastic all around tire.
M/S is as noted above put on anything, mini-vans included. this says many things according to the reviews, its a good tire. Not a great tire nor a tire that will take the 100 to its capabilities, but a good quiet long lasting all around tire.
With that, it all depends on where your going to take your 100 and how aggressive you need it.
I am running BFG A/T cause when I needed tires, there was no A/T and the A/T2 had not come out yet. Michelin purchased BFG and said if I was not happy to return them and the AT/2 should be around by then. They are great off road tires, great on rocks - although they love to hold them (see gravel road above), superior side wall - I have scrapped them from all sides and they are built. Noisy and stiff for an all around. They are lasting very well, much better than in years past.

Update: Just had the M/S2's rotated today while getting an oil change at my local dealer. With 17K miles on them they are at 10/32's - unbelievable! With the end of the M/S2, I'm tempted to grab another set, but I don't want to have to store them for the next 5 years until my current ones run out :)

Now, if Michelin could produce a tire that looked like an A/T2, but was as quiet as the M/S2, they'd have a winner.

Hopefully the Defender will be an upgrade to the LTX M/S2 but more importantly (at least for 03-07 owners) we now have another OEM option than the Latitude which I feel was inferior to the LTX M/S2.

Last edited:
I spoke with a Tire Rack associate today about the new Defender LTX M/S and he was meh on them. Said the Defender hasn't been a great passenger car tire and is somewhat surprised Michelin released the LTX version for SUVs. Also, he said Michelin is NOT phasing out the LTX M/S 2 as I had previously indicated itt. So, now I'm back to square one for my '04 LX470 tires. I can go with the OE tire size in the Latitude or increase the aspect ratio to 65 and get into the LTX M/S 2. The associate thinks the 275/65/18 "should" fit fine but cannot guarantee it :( Curious to know if anyone is running a 275/65/18 on their '03-'07 LX470???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom