Which oil are you using? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, I thought this would be a good spot to post this question.

I am going to be swapping in a toyota 12H-T diesel engine in a few weeks. It has 100,000 miles on it, and I need it to go another 400,000.

I live in California, and it is my DD. What is the best engine oil for my situation? Any and all recommendations are welcome.
Thanks guys!

300,000 mi. 2f using Valvoline 10/40 @5000 mile intervals, and it is still running strong .. I think Ill just keep on doing what I 've been doing.

Any thoughts on the Mobil Super 5000? The label says SJ,SL,SM, and SN. Seems like a lot of designations mixed in with the SN. But maybe a good candidate with some ZDDP plus mixed in??? Just curious on a discount gasoline engine oil option with some additive.

I bought my 1986 FJ60 from the original over over 20 years ago. He told me he only used Castrol GTX, so that's all I've used.

233,XXX miles and counting.

If it says SN, then it has almost no ZDDP. A 2F should be ok with any oil, as long as there is enough ZDDP additive.
What's confusing to me is how SJ, SL, and SM can be on the same label as SN speaking of ZDDP

the SJ, SM, etc... are standards set by the API and ILSAC.

Oil ingredients are changed overtime to adapt to the new standard such as SN that have tighter emissions reqmts, etc...
For example, oils used ZDDP previously, but now many use titanium or some other element.

for the oil nerds http://www.lubrizol.com/apps/relperftool/pc.html

If SJ has far more ZDDP than SN, that's what makes it confusing how they can put both on the label.

The new oil exceeds the older standard. i.e. the old oil has a maximum permissible ZDDP of, say, 2000PPM. The SN standard is, say, less than 300PPM. Therefore the SN rated oil is well within the standard for SJ.

There are so many stinking posts in this stinking thread that the point has been lost that low zinc oils, even at 1300 PPM, may be fine out of the jug, but as zddp gets consumed, it drops below 1200 ppm very quickly, which is what I've read numerous times as the threshold level for these kinds of engines. So unless you're changing your (insert oil of choice at around 1300 ppm here) at 1500 miles, it's not gonna adequately protect your motor. That's why the recommended level is 1700 ppm , so with 3k-5000 mile OCIs you're staying within range over the service life of the oil.

So which oils come with 1700pm of zinc right out of the bottle?

I don't believe that there are currently any that come with 1700ppm of ZDDP straight out of the bottle. From what I have seen on bobistheoilguy in the UOA/NOA is that even the "high mileage/older engine" oils only come with somewhere between 1100ppm and 1300ppm. Which means you would have to add an additive to bring the levels up conceivably.

There are some boutique oils (see above link for pdf file), as well as Amsoil or Red-line or Brad Penn that offer high-zddp oils, but I don't use them cuz at $50+ a gal, I'm not paying $100 for an oil change. I just use a good quality dino 15w-40, either Rotella or Delo or Mobil and add a bottle of 'hope this works'...

If you want to use a high zinc out of the bottle you'll have to google it, since the names and offerings seem to shift and I haven't followed it for a while.

FWIW, Mobil1 Delvac MX 15w-40 is still a SL rated oil, but hard to find unless you're near a tractor place. 5 gal buckets around $80

http://www.mobil.us/usa-english-lcw...ducts_engine-oils_mobil-delvac-mx-15w40.aspx#

Ive searched for a VOA on the Delvac MX 15w-40 but can't find it. Whats the ZDDP level in that stuff?

Ive searched for a VOA on the Delvac MX 15w-40 but can't find it. Whats the ZDDP level in that stuff?

Dunno. Mobil won't tell, saying it's a 'proprietary' formula. Their CS reply only said it's less than 2500 ppm. But by reading the MSDS and seeing what its applications are and the API ratings, I'm guessing it's gonna be right around 1600-1700ppm, otherwise they'd rate it as SM. I'd use it, except I would have to mail order it and shipping two gallons gets spendy. Any Agri or HD truck supply should be able to get it. I'm in Kalif so anything that might be harmful to the environment has been outlawed, except illegals with criminal records or communicable disease or ebola or Jerry Brown.

Last edited:
Well after reading many pages I have come to the conclusion that the Mobil 1 15W50 should be the best???

Zack

Im using this oil and like the levels. But what about for a cold Northeast winter?
Isn't this too thick?

Im using this oil and like the levels. But what about for a cold Northeast winter?
Isn't this too thick?

Just cut it with the drippings from an Obama State-of-the-Union speech... :clap::rolleyes:;):confused::mad:

Oh, bruddah!

Just an FYI for you cheap-azz Cruiser heads (like me)

At O'reilly's. $35 for TWO gallon jug. Syn blend. 1500-2000 ppm ZDDP.

Part#: JT8-15-50-2

http://www.docs.citgo.com/msds_pi/264776.pdf

With a WIX or Baldwin filter, you've got a $50 quality oil change for your obsolete motor (including Gubbament tax)

1420524-Mystik-15W50-Motor-Oil-2-Gallon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom