Which mildly aggressive 33" AT would you get for your Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the market for some new shoes on my 2002 100-series.
Current tires are Goodyear Duratracs in 285/75-16 flavor, with around 60k

The Duratracs have been a fantastic tire for my use and I have been able to squeeze an amazing 60k out of them so far (I thought they'd only go 45k). They still have decent tread but old shocks and lack of rotations makes for some tire cupping and weird tread wear pattern that makes for a tire howl I'm getting tired of (and it's the wife's DD). Shocks were replaced but only maybe 5k ago. Possibly out of round tires too -- at least one wheel has a TON of weights on it, also on some funky tread wear that's not consistent around the whole circumference (some lugs have worn down and "connected". Hard to explain, so I'll try to get some pics of the weird wear posted.

Anyways....I need new tires before next season. I have a fairly short list I'm considering and need your help and reasoning. I liked the tread of the Duratracs, but not so much the sidewalls so I was considering something slightly less aggressive, like the Toyo AT - thinking with the slightly smoother tread pattern they'll wear just as well but be a little quieter as they wear. In research I found that Falken revamped their AT and those are a very strong contender, possibly at the top of the list....but then I compare tire weights and these are some freaking heavy tires for being shorter than my taller DTs.

- Replace with Duratracs again - proven reliable for me, taller tire for less weight compartively, I just never really liked the sidewalls visually (and since they LOOK aggressive yet are proven a weak spot).
- Toyo Open Country AT2 - either in the 285/75-16 or the 295/70-16 XTREME size (is it worth the extra 20lbs/tire???)
- Falken Wildpeak AT3 - brand new tire to the market, looks my style, heavy?
- Cooper ST MAXX - because they look badass and were my other consideration when I got the DTs, no idea how they perform.

Before I even bought new tires I'd fix the other problems so they don't ruin your next set. I personally like the Coopers.

The only problem I know of was old floppy shocks and going 15k between rotations. Shocks have been replaced, will try to rotate more.

Here's the worst tire at 60k
E6AA7886-6487-4A2C-9356-3FA0C24419A8_zpssgvzqyxk.jpg

Have you looked at the Toyo M55? A lot of fleets around here (USFS, gas & electric for example) run these on their trucks that see dirt and gravel roads. Biggest + is mileage - they wear like iron. You'd probably get better mileage than the Toyo A/Ts. I'm running a 33" set on my 80 series LT255/85/R16 and a set LT 285/75/R16 on my F350 crew cab 4x4 which are also considered 33". Compare size difference here. Some consider them loud, but I don't agree. After running M/Ts for years, they are fairly quiet. If you like them and run in winter conditions, I highly recommend getting them siped. I had them on my 80 on a group trip in Baja, early this year & they performed flawlessly on Baja's rough roads to remote beaches, as well as pavement and slick snow packed roads here in the states on the way down & back. Aired down, they do well in the sand, as well as smoothing out washboard. They're available at Les Schwab here in Oregon - but not sure where in Cali :cheers:

Hi all,

Check out the AT tire test on Expedition Portal. I bought a set of Cooper Discovery AT3 tires in June for my Tacoma and have been very pleased so far - quiet and ride well while having a more open tread pattern than the BF Goodrich AT.

Regards,

Alan

Hi all,

Check out the AT tire test on Expedition Portal. I bought a set of Cooper Discovery AT3 tires in June for my Tacoma and have been very pleased so far - quiet and ride well while having a more open tread pattern than the BF Goodrich AT.

Regards,

Alan

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

are you talking about this article, Alan?

I just read through it and very glad I did! Discount Tire told me it would be $1,075 for 4 Nitto Terra's (their recommendation over the BFG AT KO2s) in 285/60/18 31.5"

Going to ask them to price out the Cooper Discoverer A/T^3s now. Do you run them?

KO2's have problems though.

I bought KO2's and like the look. So far no problems as posted on this forum.

Another vote for Coopers... been running a set of 31x10.5x15 S/T Maxx on my 60 for almost 2yrs now. Great road manners, surprisingly low road noise, great offroad and good winter (ice/snow) performance. Just put a set of their HTP on the wife's '11 4Runner (95% road) and they have been great as well.

My vote would be to go with the AT3 or ATP if you don't want something quite as aggressive as the S/T Maxx. Some guys have reported some balancing issues with the AT3 but seems to be related to certain batch(es). Most have been able to remedy by getting replaced or finally getting to balance.

Hi all,

Yes, that is the article I'm referring to.

I have been running the Cooper AT3 since June on my Tacoma. The AT3 should be much less $ than either the BFGs or Nittos.

Regards,

Alan

Where the Rubber Meets the Road

are you talking about this article, Alan?

I just read through it and very glad I did! Discount Tire told me it would be $1,075 for 4 Nitto Terra's (their recommendation over the BFG AT KO2s) in 285/60/18 31.5"

Going to ask them to price out the Cooper Discoverer A/T^3s now. Do you run them?

I ended up with the Falkens. Took a few days to get but very happy with them. Have put a couple hundred miles on them and they are buttery smooth and quiet on the road. Wife and I agree they're quieter than the duratracs when brand new. Almost as quiet as the Michelin ATs we had before those. I drove it to/from SF today and I was amazed at how quiet they were and how different the rig drives just from a tire change, it's like steering is super responsive again.

Good price too, they were only $172/ea, so under $900 out the door with the rebate. Also nobody else around here's got them, so feels good to be different.

Everyone loves pics:

4539931F-AC40-47F6-AB57-3F41487E0D14_zpsmras0ny7.jpg

43BCC9B5-2D5F-456F-A699-07CFDD2419AB_zpswrjha03z.jpg

Nice... We had the old model AT on our 4Runner and they were great tires. Only gripe I had about them was once they wore down past halfway the center tread siping was pretty much gone so they turned into a highway ribbed tread tire. Not great during the wet or snow but was able to get the full 50k out of them.

I was at a local event at the raceway near me and an 80 rolled in with a nice lift ~35" tires, roof rack, front and rear armor and large Falken stickers on the rear portion.

Took a look at the tires and they looked like what I was in the market for.

Glad to hear you're pleased with them so far. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a set in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom