Which Limited Slip Diff in 98-99 LX470....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK....we know 98-99 LX470's (U.S. Spec) came with a Limited Slip Differential.

I've searched and read about this until my eyes are blood-shot and not found an answer to the question:

Which/What manufacturer's.....LSD is in the rear axle assembly?

Does Toyota make their own?

Is it some other manufacturer's LSD?

Presumably its a clutch type LSD...since it calls for gear lube with a friction modifier in it?

How aggressive is it? Can it be rebuilt? Why is this such a mystery?

See what I mean, this is a question no one can answer....it seems.

It is a clutch type and can be reshimmed to work, short term. My understanding is they loosen up pretty easily. I never tried rebuilding mine, rather I replaced it with an ARB locker instead. I have an LSD I can take apart and snap pics, later in the week, if you want.

It is a clutch type and can be reshimmed to work, short term. My understanding is they loosen up pretty easily. I never tried rebuilding mine, rather I replaced it with an ARB locker instead. I have an LSD I can take apart and snap pics, later in the week, if you want.

That would be great...if its not too much trouble. I can find absolutely nothing about it here.

I received a reply today from Ken Francisco (of GearInstalls) about this subject.

He replied:

" I have a similar LSD that I removed from a LX570 and it definitely is factory and extremely heavy. Yours being a LX470 is somewhat smaller than the 570 but very beefy with a full case and 4 pinions. Yours also has the beefy 32 spline axles. Almost bulletproof. That's about the limits of my info on your LSD and I doubt you can rebuild it with new plates and such. "

But anything you can provide would be greatly appreciated and somewhat pioneering since I've found no other posts with definitive answers.

My LSD is working fine and I have no plans to rebuild or modify (even if possible) but I am curious if it could be done and just what it looks like. I will put a 'Harrop' E-Locker in mine at some point.

But yes, if you can add anything to the thread....that would be great.

Thanks, Flint.

As promised...

IMG_0609.jpg

First set of clutch discs

IMG_0610.jpg
IMG_0611 (1).jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0613.jpg

WOW.....that is much beefier than I would have expected! Full case, four pinion, big fat coil spring (was expecting an S spring), big friction discs.

Those are excellent pics BTW, thank you for posting them. Those are the first I have seen.

Good Job!

I know this is an old thread but...

Does anyone have any information on rebuilding these LSDs? I have a '98 LX with the LSD, but after 250,000+ miles it doesn't do a whole lot any more. I've been digging around on Toyota/Lexus dealer sites to try and track down part numbers for the spring, clutches, and shim washers but I'm not having much luck finding part numbers.

A bit of googling gave me this exploded view, but just searching these numbers doesn't yield anything useful.
410663A.png

I'm wondering if anyone has a list of replacement parts, or even a kit.

Thanks for the help!

I know this is an old thread but...

Does anyone have any information on rebuilding these LSDs? I have a '98 LX with the LSD, but after 250,000+ miles it doesn't do a whole lot any more. I've been digging around on Toyota/Lexus dealer sites to try and track down part numbers for the spring, clutches, and shim washers but I'm not having much luck finding part numbers.

A bit of googling gave me this exploded view, but just searching these numbers doesn't yield anything useful.View attachment 3132941

I'm wondering if anyone has a list of replacement parts, or even a kit.

Thanks for the help!
Have you put in your vin on partsouq? You can find the same diagram and click each part to see the part number and if they have it in stock. Unless you want to stay stock, it's a good time to throw in a rear locker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom