Which leaves to pull from OME packs to make them a/the lighter version? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to identify (Old Man Emu?) and possibly remove a leaf from the rear spring pack to make it more supple..
Front has 6 leaves now (cs004f?)
Rear has 7 leaves now, no idea on these..? Could I remove the bottom one that sticks out a few inches past the bottom ubolt mount?

Last edited:
IMG_3194 (Medium) (Small).JPG
IMG_3195 (Medium) (Small).JPG
IMG_3200 (Medium) (Small).JPG
IMG_3199 (Medium) (Small).JPG

Usually you can remove the second longest leaf, the one with the smaller square shape end. But 7 leafs in the 60 serie rear leaf pack should be OK... Or "should" be a minimum...

EDIT : if you have original OME rear pack, 7 leafs is the minimum amount of leafs in the light pack. Then, if it is the case, you wouldn't find any smaller square end shape leaf as those leaf are considered as the extra leaf for the medium and heavy duty pack.

Last edited:
Looking at the middle or heavy selection of the rear OME springs (cs004ra or cs004rb) they come with a few overload type leaves that are not touching during the entire arc.. Are mine and old set or something? Every leaf touches each other

P4240047.jpg

It's just a different design.
Some springs (HD) are designed with an overload leaf/s at the bottom, like in your picture. You'll notice that those bottom leafs are thicker too.

The idea is to allow a softer ride when lightly loaded, but allow the big boys to pick up the slack when the lbs are packed on.

Some HD spring designs don't bother, and all the leafs are arced the same.

It's just a different design.
Some springs (HD) are designed with an overload leaf/s at the bottom, like in your picture. You'll notice that those bottom leafs are thicker too.

The idea is to allow a softer ride when lightly loaded, but allow the big boys to pick up the slack when the lbs are packed on.

Some HD spring designs don't bother, and all the leafs are arced the same.

Do you think the rears on mine are a HD set without the overloads? There are 7 leaves and the current OME selection is as follows...
Light= 8 leaves
Heavy= 6 leaves + 2 overload
Heavy constant= 7 leaves (cannot find any good pictures of these on the net)

I don't know OME leafs, but what you want to do (remove a leaf) doesn't matter who made the springs.

The original factory springs had 6 leafs.

If you want to pull a leaf, I'd pull the 3rd from the top.

Your rears are similar to mine. I have 8 leafs in the rear too. All the same arc. They're SOR. HD.

I got these monsters for carrying a LOT of gear off road in Mexico. Full truck, full roof rack. 48 gal of fuel.

When the truck is loaded up like this it rides great on the road and especially off road on the rough dirt.

When my cruiser is empty, it rides like crap. Way too stiff.

There's no way you can have it both ways.

Short answer: Don't remove it. Will soften up. I have CS005 extra heavies and they're fine, particularly when loaded. I left mine alone and I'm glad I did.

But if you're just street cruisin', then Kurt said to remove the leaf with the squared ends, as in above linked pix. I believe the info is on his website, also. www.cruiseroutfitters.com If you're gonna buy OME parts, Cruiser Outfitters is the place to go.

What kind of shocks? Shock valving makes a big difference, too.

Your rears are similar to mine. I have 8 leafs in the rear too. All the same arc. They're SOR. HD.

I got these monsters for carrying a LOT of gear off road in Mexico. Full truck, full roof rack. 48 gal of fuel.

When the truck is loaded up like this it rides great on the road and especially off road on the rough dirt.

When my cruiser is empty, it rides like crap. Way too stiff.

There's no way you can have it both ways.

I looked them up on the SOR website just now but noticed none there had 7 leaves? Wonder if these are them but an older version?

Old (like 25 year old) SOR HD springs had 7 leafs. I had some of those (and they were too long when overloaded). The new SOR HD springs have 8 leafs. They are better.

Lots of things can influence the ride besides number of leafs.
As Spike mentioned, shocks play a huge roll in how comfy the ride is.

If you really want to find out how stiff your springs are, remove the rear shocks and drive it around. You'll be surprised how soft and cushy the ride will get without shocks.

Of course you need shocks in the back, but I can tell you that after I installed new OME nitro charger sport shocks, my ride got harsh. Real harsh.

I'd do the removed shock test. If you like the ride, get a pair of regular Monroe hydraulic shocks cheap.

I have a set of the old Australia-made OME springs and the rears have 8 leaves all the same arch.

Old (like 25 year old) SOR HD springs had 7 leafs. I had some of those (and they were too long when overloaded). The new SOR HD springs have 8 leafs. They are better.

Lots of things can influence the ride besides number of leafs.
As Spike mentioned, shocks play a huge roll in how comfy the ride is.

If you really want to find out how stiff your springs are, remove the rear shocks and drive it around. You'll be surprised how soft and cushy the ride will get without shocks.

Of course you need shocks in the back, but I can tell you that after I installed new OME nitro charger sport shocks, my ride got harsh. Real harsh.

I'd do the removed shock test. If you like the ride, get a pair of regular Monroe hydraulic shocks cheap.

Do you have pics of the old ones by chance on file somewhere? I think these are within the past 10 years...

No pics of the old springs, but when I look at your pics, your springs look a little different than mine did. (Inter leaf pads).

But I wouldn't get hung up on who sold the springs. SOR has changed suppliers (or designs) over the years, as in sure have others. At this point it really doesn't matter.

I see you've got extended rear shackles. Longer shackles will always make the ride more firm, as the shackle angle is more vertical.

If you want to make the ride smoother, these are the options:

1. Get load range C tires if you've got D or E,
  2. Pack the back of the cruiser with 600 lbs or more of sand bags and drive around like that for a few weeks to break in and bend the springs a bit. Then remove the bags.
  3. Replace the shocks with lower damping units.
  4. Pull a leaf
  5. Grease the shackle bushings
  6. Air down your tires to 32psi
  7. Buy lighter duty springs.
  8. Replace the extended shackles with stock height.

That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom