which brand of ob2 code scanner to buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to buy a code scanner can anyone give advice or past experiences with the different brands and models, are there any that I should stay away from.

OBD Scanner

I have the Innova 3140 which scans OBD I and II codes. Works well, easy to read.

HF has a read-only (codes) for less than $40 which works fine for me. Whichever one you buy, make sure it can delete codes of course.
You may want to think about whether you will want to buy a full real-time sensor reader later on and take that into account when figuring out the purchase since some of those likely do codes as well.

What's wrong with just using Scan Gauge II?

nothing since it can read and clear codes IIRC, except it's 4 times the cost, so it's a question of what one wants for how much $$ one can afford, I imagine.

Yes but the OP made no mention of cost being an issue. Plus its always on the truck.

I think the scan guage II has definite benifits from being mounted in the truck full time (miles to empty comes to mind as I coast to a stop on the side of the road :)). It is pricey, but so is everything it seems.

If price is no option, I use a Genesis reader that lets me see every sensor on the truck AND adjust some of them on the fly. I did't buy it, I just have access to it.

Even better than the Genesis is the autoengenuity system - simply amazing. I've used it in both the laptop version and the PDA via bluetooth version - super nice either way and access to every single sensor and setting in your engine (OK, that may be over-stating it, but its prett damn near that).

If money IS a factor, I also strongly recommend the local autozone. They scan and reset for free - you don't even need to buy anything there during your trip and they really don't seem to care if you do (but I usually end up buying something).

Good luck.

whats it going into? obviously its an obII vehicle, you can usually do a sct xcal II or III with custom tuning for $400 or so from a few shops. they also allow scanning which is what you are wanting. custom tuning is pretty nice, not quite as good as dyno tuning but pretty close. just another thought if you haven't already purchased.

i have an xcal II on my truck, picked up 20hp or so with my performance tune and it makes the shifting much better and firmer, truck pulls hard good now, tows much better, doesn't shift as much as it used to on steep hills.

i have heard great things about the scanguages. do they read codes or just display information? a few people i know have them and like them for what they are. another option is a company makes a edge but without the tuning and it sits on your dash and has a mold so it looks like it belongs their. can't remember what the name is but im sure summit, jegs, 4 wheel parts all have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom