1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which bearing? pilot or throwout?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Jman, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Jman

Jman

Started up the 60 this morning after sitting a while and as soon as I disengaged the clutch (pushed pedal to the floor) it howled like a banshee--high pitched squealing. When I took my foot off the pedal, or even just let up a bit, the shrieking went away. When I pushed the pedal back down, it shrieked just as loud. Drove a few miles for an errand then parked it.

I've had a low-level bearing noise for about a year (sometimes you barely heard it over engine idle) but today was ten times louder/higher.

Is this pilot or throwout, and how soon does it gotta come out?  :dunno:  The "dead clutch" post has me worried.

Thanks.

2. cruiserman

cruiserman

In the end it doesn't matter, since you should replace them both along with the clutch disc and pressure plate. I've noticed in the past that marginal throw-out bearing will quiet down with my foot on the pedal. &nbsp:Don't forget to re-surface the flywheel.

3. Jman

Jman

If it's the throwout, I'm less concerend about driving it for a few days. If it's the pilot, I'm gonna let it sit until it's fixed.

This really pisses me off because my clutch is fine--but it's gotta come apart because a $12 part failed. Ah well.

Thanks.

4. cruiserman

cruiserman

I hear ya, but same thing if an oil galley plug on a 3F motor blows out :). Nice thing about driving an auto . . .

5. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    first guess is throwout....and when it stops squealing, yer in trouble, cause it's siezed, and your expenses might include more than just bearing.

IMO, order today, replace soon....mine has a "soft" squeal right now and is coming out this weekend.

Loud squeal = last legs....and if it were mine, I'd park until replaced.

6. IDave

IDave

Media:
    I'd vote TO, too.

7. Eskimo

Eskimo SILVER Star

It's the throwout.

Pedal on the floor = t/o
    pedal up = pilot.

8. toddslater

toddslater SILVER Star

definitley the throw out...but as others have said ...since your in there renew it all, pilot, disc, pp, throw out. crazy not to.