Where to start to make my 80 offroad ready (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasJack just told you to go out and blow all your money. You don't *need* any of that stuff to go off roading. I agree with the consensus: take it out stock and see how you like it, plan your mods from there.

I've always been in the camp of deciding where you want to go, and then build to suit. If you are just going to go on a few fire roads and dirt roads,, it's fine as is. Remember that stock, it is better on the road, that it will ever be again after offroad mods. If you really think about it, you are going to spend most of your time on pavement.

Since you're in Texas, it's all private land so be realistic. There are a few off road theme parks, but really not much else.

If you plan for, and have the $$ for 1-2 week trips out west, you need a bit more.

But if you're serious, the most pertinent question, is what is your budget?

I've always been in the camp of deciding where you want to go, and then build to suit. If you are just going to go on a few fire roads and dirt roads,, it's fine as is. Remember that stock, it is better on the road, that it will ever be again after offroad mods. If you really think about it, you are going to spend most of your time on pavement.

Since you're in Texas, it's all private land so be realistic. There are a few off road theme parks, but really not much else.

If you plan for, and have the $$ for 1-2 week trips out west, you need a bit more.

But if you're serious, the most pertinent question, is what is your budget?

My budget would be several thousand dollars. No more than 4k. The offroading I would be doing would be mostly mud and trails at friends' ranches. I wouldn't be doing any serious rock-crawling.

Take it off road.

My budget would be several thousand dollars. No more than 4k. The offroading I would be doing would be mostly mud and trails at friends' ranches. I wouldn't be doing any serious rock-crawling.

In this case there is no need for sliders and skid plates. Just really good tires and some ground clearance.

Old man emu js in front and heavy springs out back. Can tuck 37s with minor rubbing.

Mark, You will find this adds up to a boat load of money so be prepared but if you want to really wheel your vehicle this list is the smartest order to add things to avoid unneeded costs. At the end, your truck will rival anyone's trail rig for overall capability and readiness. JD

Your 80 is off road ready right now.

@ OP -

Do some interweb searching esp say Central America Landcruisers- (I'd say Middle East but too dry, you seem to be thinking mud, right?)

Look what those dudes do, and equip accordingly. Or don't - I hardly see any of our USA-style mods on global 80's. We're a forum full of spoiled hobbyists who dump our money in a Landcruiser rather than bar tabs every weekend. (Flame me if you like guys, but you know it's true - and I'm as guilty as anyone, moreso if you look how long I been around )

Also, you can save money on armor (sliders) - if you don't give 2 craps about your rockers, same with say a rear bumper if you are just on a ranch, you won't need even carry a spare (biggest reason we all have armor bumpers out back is to carry & save rear 1/4 panels).

I would get a winch, that or plan to always carry a strap/bungee & the "buddy system"

I'm also a firm believer in skidplates, we have a wheelbase long enough that until you raise the crap out of the center, that area right behind the center crossmember is kinda fragile.

That said, yeah - go use it a bit, do the baselining, and all the glaring things you need to equip your 80 will surface as we all use ours differing ways.

Heck, the 2 80's I own will never be decked the same as the "latte wagon" is my ground pounder, and the 40th AE really will get some lite defensive armor, and either heavy rear springs or bags since it's going to mainly be for towing the boat.

So your 80 is like your body, weaknesses are addressed by how you use it - if you ride a bicycle a ton you get big quads, a blacksmith has arms like Popeye - use it a bit, get it stuck, get some mud tires, then find out what the next thing you need is.

Identify your recovery points before getting it stuck, and maybe pack a shovel.
The shipping loops bolted to the frame ends are hardly ideal pick points, but I got feeling alot more 80's globally use them as tow points than our Americanized 80's with all our hobby gadgets need.

Just go have some fun, see your individual use - your needs will dictate how fast that budget evaporates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom