where to get re-geared? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

American Gear was recommended when my parents needed to do the axles on their Suburban. He seemed to do fine work, another of our friends had them re-gear his Chevelle, again with no complaints.

However in terms of LandCruisers... We swapped a rebuilt H55 in to our 60 this past year that had some internal woes. We took it to him 3 times. Twice I pulled the trans and transfer case, and once limped the wagon up to him because he wanted to drive it for himself (Understandable, in order to diagnose...but ended up frying a brand new synchro on his recommendation) Anyway he seemed puzzled by Toyota and told me that this was really not what he worked on... I feel like he had other things going on and didn't want to spend time digging in to an unfamiliar tranny. But he was very nice, didn't charge me... But he had my transmission sitting for two weeks with no word, until I finally caught him the third week and he told me he just wasn't willing to do anything with it at that time.

Now gears swaps may be a little more straight forward than playing doctor with a transmission. But I took it to Gar's in Paso and they had it diagnosed and fixed within a week. Not to mention George at Valley Hybrids basically diagnosed the problem over the phone, which I presented that same information to both American Gear and Gar's.

I wouldn't say I'd never go to AG, but I prefer Troxell's in Grover Beach for axle/gear work...

I used American gear in Slo for my 5.13's and Detroit locker install in my Pre-Runner. I never had an issue. If you pull your 3rds out yourself and dropped them off It would be cheaper? Seth recommended someone to me before but I dont remember who.

Thanks for the replies. American Gear is the only one I had heard of so far. And yes, I was planning on pulling the thirds out myself, especially since I still need to overhaul my front axle anyway. This is definitely the one thing I don't want to tackle myself! And I don't want to have to ship them anywhere, so having them done locally would be ideal. I will give American Gear a call. Thanks guys!

I've had American Gear install ARB's front and rear Diffs, no complaints. Rebuilt three Toyota 5 speed transmission's with no issues. He's been good for me.

I've had American Gear install ARB's front and rear Diffs, no complaints. Rebuilt three Toyota 5 speed transmission's with no issues. He's been good for me.
How long did it take them for your ARB lockers? Im thinking of getting them done.

I did; 5.29s at American Gear. Realy great to deal with. I opted to remove 3rds and drop them off at shop.