1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get a rag joint???

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Degnol, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    I'm getting ready to do the minitruck PS conversion on my '66 FJ40. I'd like to retain the original steeringwheel(36 spline) so I'm going to have to weld on a rag joint. JTO has one, but that's the only one I can find.
    Any suggestions?
    Ed Long

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

CCOT has OEM and aftermarket rag joints for $41 and 24 respectively. Search for steering coupler. If that is too much, the pick n pull is full of them, but you would spend more in your time pulling one.

3. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
  4. Chef

Chef

Uhh...I just used the land cruiser joint. On my 76fj40, it went right to the '84 minitruck box...

5. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Hey, Chef. I ain't got no stinking rag joint. My '66 shaft goes right into the steering box. So I was going to cut the shaft and weld the rag on the cut end. However, I have since found a '72 steering shaft that has the 36 spline on the wheel end AND a rag joint on the other.
    I hope to have this thing converted and menacing the streets of Columbia before semester ends.
    Thanks,
    Ed Long

6. Chef

Chef

Hey Ed, feel free to yell if you need help. I've got welders, chop saws, plasma cutters, we'll get you hooked up real quick:) If you ever want to get together for beverages, that's all good too:) Sorry 'bout not catching the 66 being "minus rag joint." It's been a looong time since I looked at the steering on my 65fj45...