Where to buy OME suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I realize this has been discussed before, but figure I may be able to get some more specific information.

Love my '73 FJ40, needs a new suspension. I believe it has a 1-1/2 to 2" shackle lift on it already to clear the 33" tires.

From previous posts I found Rocky Road is a good option, free shipping is nice on a 150lb shipment. Their kit looks like exactly what I want, with the steering damper and F/R greasable shackles and pins.

So two questions:
1) are these guys still a good option? - I live not far from Mudrak, I could drive up there, which would be my other option.
2) Heavy or Medium duty? My rig is a camping rig, setting up a roof tent etc, running 33" tires all around. My assumption is this qualifies as medium, but heavy just sounds cooler.

Thanks.

I checked them out (I mean I checked out everyone that google gave me). I only see the Dakar versions available on the site.

Dakar is the only version available.
I put a set of WELL used OME (already 10 years old) on my truck 14 years ago and after I broke 2 spring packs, Dakars and ran those until I did a spring over last year. For a SUA truck, I'd do it again. I ran my FJ40 with the medium packs and unloaded the truck was pretty firm riding, but loaded with tools, camping gear spares, ets it rode very nicely. If you are going to be leaving the hard top and RTT on it full time, you might want to consider the heavies. But if you run it topless, like any FJ40 should be during the summer, heavies will be a ROUGH ride.

I have read up more and the Medium seems like a good in-between.

I have an aftermarket heavy ass steel bumper on the front with a warn 8274, and am adding a roof rack to the top. I really hope to get my rollbar installed and run it topless next summer.

Dakar is the only version available.
I put a set of WELL used OME (already 10 years old) on my truck 14 years ago and after I broke 2 spring packs, Dakars and ran those until I did a spring over last year. For a SUA truck, I'd do it again. I ran my FJ40 with the medium packs and unloaded the truck was pretty firm riding, but loaded with tools, camping gear spares, ets it rode very nicely. If you are going to be leaving the hard top and RTT on it full time, you might want to consider the heavies. But if you run it topless, like any FJ40 should be during the summer, heavies will be a ROUGH ride.

Which is a softer ride Ome SUA or SOA?

Pardon my ignorance, what does SOA / SUA mean? Spring Over/Under Axle?

Which is a softer ride Ome SUA or SOA?

The SOA (stock fj40 springs front, stock FJ60 springs rear) is a much softer ride, but I also set it up that way, my FJ40 has evolved into a hardcore wheeling rig so I made that compromise. I can always add a leaf to a pack later.

Pardon my ignorance, what does SOA / SUA mean? Spring Over/Under Axle?

Correct. Spring Over Axle and Sprung Under Axle (stock setup).

I checked them out (I mean I checked out everyone that google gave me). I only see the Dakar versions available on the site.

Dakar is the line name of the OME springs, just like their shocks are Nitrocharger, etc. You can read more on the OME/Dakar relationship here: Cruiser Outfitters

We would love to help you with a suspension on your 40. Just as an FYI while our kits are great staring points and offer customers a look at the completeness of a kit, we will spend time discussing the past, current and future uses for the vehicle, current and planned accessories & loads and desired suspension height and tire size. All this data will be used to create a personalized "Build Sheet" on your vehicle and we will make actual component recommendations based on this information to complete your order. Let us know!

Dakar is the line name of the OME springs, just like their shocks are Nitrocharger, etc. You can read more on the OME/Dakar relationship here: Cruiser Outfitters

We would love to help you with a suspension on your 40. Just as an FYI while our kits are great staring points and offer customers a look at the completeness of a kit, we will spend time discussing the past, current and future uses for the vehicle, current and planned accessories & loads and desired suspension height and tire size. All this data will be used to create a personalized "Build Sheet" on your vehicle and we will make actual component recommendations based on this information to complete your order. Let us know!
I don't mean to highjack but I decided a while back that I will be buying from you guys when I am ready to do the suspension upgrade on my fj40.

As someone that has an OME Lift and I'm happy with it.....However, I was ignorant and didn't do the proper research, like this thread here. Because if I did, I would have been wise and initially purchased my OME kit from Kurt. In the end, I had issues with the process of where I bought mine, and I finally called Kurt to ask for help and advice. Like I said, I didn't even buy the kit from Kurt but he was willing to lend his thoughts and directions. That my friends, is going above and beyond to help a fellow cruiser owner.

I have since purchased more OME related parts, tire rod ends, and other FJ40 items from Mr. Williams @cruiseroutfit .

I don't mean to highjack but I decided a while back that I will be buying from you guys when I am ready to do the suspension upgrade on my fj40.

We would love to help you out! :cool:

As someone that has an OME Lift and I'm happy with it.....However, I was ignorant and didn't do the proper research, like this thread here. Because if I did, I would have been wise and initially purchased my OME kit from Kurt. In the end, I had issues with the process of where I bought mine, and I finally called Kurt to ask for help and advice. Like I said, I didn't even buy the kit from Kurt but he was willing to lend his thoughts and directions. That my friends, is going above and beyond to help a fellow cruiser owner.

I have since purchased more OME related parts, tire rod ends, and other FJ40 items from Mr. Williams @cruiseroutfit .

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom