Where Has Your 80 Taken You?: 80 Series Camping/Overland/Adventure Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We're in Cochabama, Bolivia (getting odss-n-sods work done on truck last 2 wks and right now waiting on front seats re-upholstered). We're nearly 10 months on the rod...
Sounds super cool. Please post pics! And I'm quitting my job.

Out at Chelan Lake for the weekend, so I took the opportunity to explore a section of the Eastern Side of the Cascade Range. Methow Valley is beautiful. Lake Chelan is obviously the 55 mile long gem of the region but Sawtooth Ridge was nice. Started at Chelan at 1100' and the trailhead was at +6400'. May have to get back to this region again when it's not 105 degrees.
Methow Valley.JPG
Methow Valley2.JPG

Back yesterday from a few days camping with my sons. Mix of sun, rain, drizzle, fog and fun.

Kids setting up the tent, nice that I can now relax.

trin15b.jpg

All set up for our stay

trin15a.jpg

Creek next to our camp, nice clear running water

trin15c.jpg

The next day in the late afternoon it decided to pour down from the skies. We had quite a lot of thunder that lasted a few hours but nothing close. Here's some of the rain after my youngest made a dash for the inside of the vehicle to get his phone. Old son & I stayed under a quickly deployed tarp until we got a break in the rain an hour or so later.

The next day we move to locate a new camp site. On one of the ridges we got a good view of the weather we were in

trin15e.jpg

Public lands and someone is 'ranching', no idea how they locate/round up their 6 cows...
Topo maps and GPS running on the Tablet makes it easy to navigate. Just about to switch to a new map.

trin15d.jpg

Fun trip and the kids got to experience some camping in the rain :)

cheers,
george.

Is this near Pictured Rocks? That is one of my favorite places to go. The U.P. is a treasure. Love it in the fall.

Agree, the U.P. is beautiful with lots to explore. We camped just east of the Keweenaw Bay at the mouth of the Huron River. Great camping spot if you make it up that way.

@atomicshawn

I believe this is an escaped axolotl, or possibly a native California juvenile tiger salamander. Axolotl are critically endangered, and the California tiger salamander is vulnerable, so this is a really excellent find. Great job!

No question this is a larval tiger salamander but extremely unlikely to be an axolotl and doubt that it's a CA tiger salamander. The tiger salamander is a wide ranging species found across most of the US and breeds in ephemeral pools. Still no doubt a good find and great stuff to show kids, something real. By now this particular individual may have metamorphosed and taken on the next phase of life which is mainly underground.

No question this is a larval tiger salamander but extremely unlikely to be an axolotl and doubt that it's a CA tiger salamander. The tiger salamander is a wide ranging species found across most of the US and breeds in ephemeral pools. Still no doubt a good find and great stuff to show kids, something real. By now this particular individual may have metamorphosed and taken on the next phase of life which is mainly underground.

Didn't know that tiger salamanders in general had external gills, thought it was only the California! Shows what I know. Thanks!

Ya like Godwin implied, I think you only see the gills when they're juveniles. But as a side note, kinda nice we have a "resident herpetologist" to keep us all straight lol! Super cool.

Last edited:
I think I messed up my last post. My daughter and I just got back from Colorado:

You were parked next to me in Ouray at the hot springs.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1438552689.028111.jpg

Last edited:
Took a little exploring but found this site along clavey:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438555874.379789.jpg

Saw a few of photos and YouTube videos for this spot.

I took my boys and we swam in river for a few hours, the younger also dined on some sand, ha ha.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438556164.695026.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438556003.678726.jpg

Afterwards they were super tired and slept as climbed back up the trail and found some other cool spots:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438556122.459484.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438556207.877248.jpg

Hoping to return next weekend with the rest of the crew. We had a blast!

Shhhhh, That place is a secret!

Oh yeah, no one will go there without a blindfold!

And by crew I mean my wife, parents, and my brother and his kids.

A week and a half ago our family was in Colorado. We went up Alpine, Tomichi Pass, Cumberland Pass, Morningstar, and Waunita Pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom