When you turn into your dad and didnt realize it until today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used to own a pair of Mach Ones. Great speakers, massive bass, under rated at the time "eewww, Radio Shack". Whatever. Realistic made some great speakers. If you ignore the vintage audio hipsters and go with what you decide sounds good you can have very nice equipment for not too much money. I picked up a pair of Pioneer GS-201WAII 3-way speakers with (gasp!) 10" paper woofers, they are vintage 80s units, paid $20. They sound great, very flat response and also very efficient. Still need to fix the speaker foams, and possibly go through the crossovers just because. I have nice vintage Technics direct-drive turntable with a new Shure cartridge, and a Teac auto-reverse 7" reel-to-reel deck. My only nod to vintage hipsterism is I'll one day have a nice Sansui or Pioneer receiver. My current Yamaha is a nice unit and has a Phono preamp... but it's all black and digital and doesn't have the "look" or sound of a vintage unit.

Oh and nice garage. Thank God I didn't turn into either my father or stepdad. Too much drama to mention.

I used to own a pair of Mach Ones. Great speakers, massive bass, under rated at the time "eewww, Radio Shack". Whatever. Realistic made some great speakers. If you ignore the vintage audio hipsters and go with what you decide sounds good you can have very nice equipment for not too much money. I picked up a pair of Pioneer GS-201WAII 3-way speakers with (gasp!) 10" paper woofers, they are vintage 80s units, paid $20. They sound great, very flat response and also very efficient. Still need to fix the speaker foams, and possibly go through the crossovers just because. I have nice vintage Technics direct-drive turntable with a new Shure cartridge, and a Teac auto-reverse 7" reel-to-reel deck. My only nod to vintage hipsterism is I'll one day have a nice Sansui or Pioneer receiver. My current Yamaha is a nice unit and has a Phono preamp... but it's all black and digital and doesn't have the "look" or sound of a vintage unit.

Oh and nice garage. Thank God I didn't turn into either my father or stepdad. Too much drama to mention.

That silver receiver is a Pioneer SX-727 that was given to me. Nice sounding just not that powerful. I have couple of Sony receivers I was using. One half price Saturday at Good Will I bought a Pioneer SA-1480 for $20. Hooked up in my second garage here in the valley. It made the Sony receivers sound like junk. Located the matching tuner and remote and moved it to a better climate. The Sony can stay out in the heat here in the valley. Too many neighbors to really enjoy audio anyway. I have a pair of Optimus 950s, light weight junk with rotted foam surrounds. One pair of Mach Ones (newer ones) the PO may have redone the foam surrounds. The other set and Nova 8Bs all have original foam on the woofers is in great shape. My first wife's brother worked at RS in the seventies. He would tell my when things were on sale plus get his employee discount. Could never get the $500 a pair of Mach Ones were going for. My parents had a pair of smaller Nova speakers (Nova 6?) they gave them to my sister's husband and not me. He is the type to let you know that he got them. That bothered me so when the Nova 8Bs showed up cheap and close I picked them up. Off a ad on CL and think the seller thought he was pulling a fast one since only one was everything working. I'm surprised after working on them I like them just as much if not more then the Mach Ones. That is $5 speaker switch on top of the cabinet. I really need to pick one up that will take multiple inputs and separate volume control for each set of speakers.

Just like you way to much family drama to go into. I'm just happy with who I am which I guess counts for something.:meh:

Maybe this thread will morph in a "person cave" (had a government job so no "man cave" have to be PC:rolleyes:) thread.

I have a set of 4 Sansui high end cabinet speakers from the 1970's I got from my uncle's estate. They took thier sound pretty serious back then. Is there a market for this kind of stuff?

gotta love the old school wood cabinets.

I have a set of 4 Sansui high end cabinet speakers from the 1970's I got from my uncle's estate. They took thier sound pretty serious back then. Is there a market for this kind of stuff?

No market at all. Not even good for recycling. I still have some room in the garage and would be willing to do you a favor and take them off your hands.:rolleyes:

I think in our modern world everything has gotten smaller. In a lot of cases the room to enjoy audio isn't there. These old speakers need some wattage to produce descent sound. Planned on using a set of the Nova 8Bs in the loft but just too much speaker for the space. Fine if I was single and lived alone with no close neighbors. Thus my garage.

Last edited:

I'll have to take those Sansui's off your hands Eric, just as a friendly gesture to help out. You know. ;)

I like to have the door opened when it is 115F outside. To be fair, they said I can do anything I want with door closed.

Well how nice of them. Do they let you wash your vehicles or is that verboten as well? Lemme guess, no flags either?

I still have a Nakamichi 500 cassette deck that I purchased brand new in the 70's. There's no market for it but, some stuff is just too cool to get rid of. At that time. if you made the switch from reel to reel to cassettes, it was a great choice.

I'd be interested in taking some vintage speakers - let me know what you have/want - send a PM, please

Well how nice of them. Do they let you wash your vehicles or is that verboten as well? Lemme guess, no flags either?

Car washing is not considered as part of automotive repair yet, so it is okay to wash. US flags are fine, not sure on other flags. The only sign allowed is the for sale sign.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom