Wheels and Tires, what would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to replace my existing wheel and tire setup on my '76 fj40. I currently run 16" wheels with 265 75R 16 tires. There is an aluminum plate behind my wheels for the correct spacing.
I want to go back to a 15" wheel tire combo. I run a stock 6 cyl. I am going to do a soa by the end of the summer and want as large a tire as possible without an additional lift. This rig is a toy, I drive it alot on the road but say once a month off road.
What is the correct wheel for landcruisers, backspacing, etc. &nbsp:Does everyone have the aluminum spacer behind the wheel? Cheap steel wheels are fine.
As for tires, I am open to suggestions. My only experience is with bfg m/t's. Lots of mud here in Oregon. I want atleast 33x12.5's.
Last, where to buy. Is there a good online source?
Thanks for the input!

I've seen plenty SOA cruisers running 35s using stock cruiser spings, the stock 15" Fj40 or FJ60/62 wheel are pretty tough and they have the proper back spacing, but you'd be hard pressed to run a wide tire on them. A lot of people run white spokers or those Nascar style black steel wheels, they're available nearly everywhere and cheap. I'm not a 100% on what the proper backspacing is, but 4.5" sounds familiar (correct me if I'm way off guys), I'd call the tech line at Specter Off-road or any of the cruiser places. I've never seen aluminum spacers on a cruiser before. Back in Vermont it can be fairly muddy as well, lot's of people run Super Swampers, they kick ass off road but have crummy road manners. I know tons of people who run BFG Mud TAs and seem to be happy with them and they are supposedly better on the road. hope you can get something from this. :G

3.5" backspacing on a steel wheel. aluminim may be less 3"-3.25"?

Just this weekend I was pricing BFG MT Radials, there was a $1. differance in price between Tire Factory and Costco. Les Scwab was $35. higher. Don't forget to ask some prices don't include mounting and balancing, or free rotate and rebalance. I was pricing 35x12.5x15's

Re: Wheels and Tires, what would you do?JUs

just so you know Costco has great prices on tires, but will not service the tire if it's larger than the factory listed tire size. You have to take the wheels off to have them mounted and balanced, or for flat repairs. I work there.

I'm running Alloy wheels with a 3.25" backspacing. I had to do some light machining (hand held grinder) of the front brake caliper to get them to clear. Look into the Goodyear MT/R It is quiet for a mudder on the road as that seams to make up 29/30 of your driving.

You mentioned mud-try www.desertrat.com, take a look at the Interco Super Swamper TSL Radials on U.S Wheel black wagon wheels. They ship them $95 anywhere in US mounted and balanced. Real good prices. TSL radials whoop BFG's in the mud, and aren't too bad on the road. They have 6 lug with the correct 3.5" backspacing.

Kind of a side topic but is there any 16" steel wheel that fits the FJ40 with aftermarket front disk brakes?

Scott

This is too, but what aftermarket discs are you usin? I'm considerin discs cause 4 wheel drums ain't cuttin it nomo and I didn't think I had many options.

Hmmm, that's a good question since I had a shop do it (don't have much time to do it myself). If I remember correctly, the fronts are just a later model FJ40 complete axel and the backs are the standard monte carlo disk conversion. I had problems with too much rear brake power so I replaced the front calipers with 1992 4Runner calipers. I highly recommend swapping to the 4Runner calipers for much better front braking power. I did have to grind some of the backing plate and caliper to make it fit and clear the rim.

Scott

OK, I have too much rear braking power as well, even with 4 wheel drums, so I guess I will just switch to the later cruiser brakes up front and keep the drums out back and see what that does. My drums are all brand new and the damn thing still won't stop a light weight ATV trailer. ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom