wheel bearing seal help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curtislow

Third fj40
Threads
I need some real time help with the orientation of the wheel bearing grease seal of my front hub. I'm pretty sure of the way it goes but rather than screw it up after going through this knuckle rebuild with no problems I'll take some advice.
One side is all metal and one side has rubber showing,I would think the all metal side would be the outside and the side with rubber showing would go towards the bearing.
I know a picture is worth a thousand words but not if you don't have a smartphone or camera handy. Thanks

Correct. This side out. Pic.

image.gif

@curtislow Et al,
I'm doing brakes for the first time and want to replace the bearings and seals. Now that I've got the hubs extracted, how does one remove the inner bearing and that seal? (above)

If there's a 'How To', Hit me with the 'Over Here'
Thanks

Well that makes more sense than punching it out from inside.
Thanks Seth!

A word of caution: when using a hook-type seal puller, be careful not to scarf up the inside of the axle tube as you remove the old seal. Don't just go hog wild in there, prying as hard as you can -study the hook position, the seal, and your leverage points and pry out as gently as you can. Sometimes, the hook will rip through the seal metal, and scar the inside of the axle tube. If the metal rips, re-position the hook and try again. It will eventually come out.

I really hesitated even posting this rudimentary question at all, but the noob support here has always been exceptional.
I pried my first seal last night and learned exactly what @SteveH talks about.
  • Extracting the seal is a destructive event
  • It can not be reused
  • It should be eased out from a couple of pry points
  • Anticipate your leverage to always protect the hub
Thanks guys!

I have always just used a large pry bar to remove seal
Or pull outer bearing out thread spindle nut back on
Slide hub off leaves inner bearing and seal on spindle
Less greasy tools to clean afterwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom