So last Oct 2009 I did a full front axle service. Did not replace bearings as they are not that old. I went by the FSM to the latter, fish scale and all. Well this week when I did the front pads, I did a 12 and 6 check and, damn, there is a play in the wheel. Quick call to landtank confirmed wheel bearing preload, and not the trunnions. Phew. So yesterday I took the flange off and went after wheel bearing. This time I decided to ignore the FSM. I tightened the first nut as hard as I could moving the front hub every tightening. The FSM calls for 59nm. I went with at least 100 or 120nm torque. The hub had no difference in rotational resistance from nothing to 100nm torque. Released the nut, tighten by hand, and then preloaded it with 40nm. The FSM calls for 5.9nm. Locked it with the locking rings. Put the second nut and gave it 40nm as well. Now the steering is nice and tight. I am very curious to see what all this deviation from FSM will do, but at least it drive nicely.