Wheel Bearing Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had just ripped apart my dash in an attempt to fix my heater / temperature control not working. After re-soldering the connection to the circuit board (got this from another thread), I took it out for a test drive to let it heat up to see if I now had control over the heater and temperature.

Well, that seemed to fix that issue, but when I headed back home, I could feel / hear something coming from the driver's front wheel. Upon making it home, I saw smoke coming out from the front wheel. After letting it cool off, I started taking it apart. It soon became apparent that the outer wheel bearing had catastrophically failed. The disc was loose and there were pieces of the bearing coming out between the nut and the spindle.

Took me a while to get it off using a good old fashion chisel and hammer. It's apart, but the spindle is wasted. Since I didn't see one in the classifieds, I thought I would also post here that I looking for a spindle. Anyone have an "extra"? I will also post on Parts Wanted, but thought that not everyone looks at those.

TIA

Sorry to hear about the wasted spindle. Luckily it didn't happen out in the boonies.
As a matter of education (curiosity) do you know how many years/miles had passed since the last bearing repack?

We all let our bearing re-lube schedule slide.... Wondering what it takes to grenade a bearing.

Pretty common failure when bearings are neglected and/or preload is way loose for a lot of miles. Check with Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters for a new spindle. John

I've seen the same thing on a friend's truck in the middle of Utah. Poorly pre-loaded bearing, destroyed the bearing, the spindle the lock nuts-basically everything but the hub body.

Got photos of the carnage?

i sent a PM on the spindle but i have a parts axle if you need anything. busted the front 3rd on it and needed to install caster plates anyways so i just swapped in a spare axle i had.

I bought the truck a little over a year ago. I know I should have serviced it then, since I didn't know when it was last done. But I don't use it much, and so I put it off. Ironic thing is that I was going to order the parts to do it before a wheeling trip I have planned in June. Well, guess I'm going to do it for sure now!

Got photos of the carnage?

Didn't take any pictures. Wasn't very exciting, except for the smoking wheel when I parked.

I'd recommend getting the Trail-Gear spindle nut kit.

I've been having a lot of issues with my inner nut backing off over the past few years. I'm assuming it is my fault, but I still haven't figured out what it is I am doing that keeps causing it to do so.

Regardless, it seems like many have been upgrading to the Trail-Gear kit and having great results. I haven't installed mine yet, but am excited to finally have ordered them. I've had to re-torque my inner nuts about 4-5x now per side.

Thanks to everyone that responded to my search for a spindle. What an awesome community.

FYI

This will soon become relevant to your interests. Its not a bad job

Thanks for the video, but this ain't my first rodeo. I've had cruisers for 30 years. Yes, I'm old. ;)

Does the FSM list the acceptable OD of the spindle where the bearings ride? I haven't found it (yet?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom