What's your favorite kind of steak and marinade/seasoning for camping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For me, 50% of the whole camping experience is eating bombtastic food. I have all kinds of marinades and good seasonings at home for when I grill, but when I'm out in the woods, nothing beats a couple good ribeyes marinated in a ziplock freezer bag full of Worchestershire and a 1/2 a can of Budweiser.

I marinate the steaks for at least 6-8 hours, but have found that 24 hrs is best. The carbonation in the beer actually tenderizes the meat wonderfully, but any more than 24 hours and it's too long. I've tried the marinade with several different kinds of beers, but nothing tastes quite as good as regular ol' Bud for whatever reason. Just wondering what kind of meat and marinade you guys like the best...?

If you can track down some Original Char-Crust, you'll be in for a treat. It's made in Chicago, but a couple of the big stores carries it here in Denver. Home :: Char Crust :: Dry-rub seasonings for all meat and fish - easy, fast & delicious!

Don't fall for the other "smokey or flavored" choices, stick to the original. It looks like you're rubbing ash from a fire on your steaks...but go ahead and rub it on, sear them up and serve them with some sauteed onions, mushrooms and green chiles and you'll have a very good dinner!

Steak:
Dry aged 2 days in the back of the fridge, salt and pepper. leave it on the fire long enough to make it up, and make sure it's not too far from mooing when the fork goes in!

Although, I have a jug of Jim Beam that I picked up on sale at Safeway for 15 bucks, and since my personal belief is that the only Whiskies worth drinking are made in Scotland, I soaked ground-up juniper berries and peppercorns in it for two weeks, shaking every other day.
I usually use it on poultry brines, but every so often, it's nice just dizzled over the freshly seasoned steak about an hour or two before it hits the fire.

1 quartered Chicken: brine it overnight in:
1C Kosher salt
1C Dark Molasses
2C boiling water
2LB ice
Fresh rosemary
juice and zest of 2 lemons, 2 limes, 2 oranges
Thyme
Parsley
peppercorns
mustard seeds.
5 cloves garlic, crushed
(At least) 1C peppered bourbon
Boil the water, molasses, salt, herbs and spices together, and let them steep with the burner off for 30 min. add the ice, toss in a Ziplock with the chicken, splash in the bourbon, and let set in the fridge overnight. Drain, pad dry, lightly oil, and grill away (I like to start the leg/thighs about 5-7 minutes before the breasts) turning as often as you need to even out the browning.
Pull the leg/thighs at 170 degrees F.
pull the breasts at just up to 165 degrees F.

I use grill mates zesty herb. I will just marinate bad cuts or game meat.

^^^yepper.

Grill mates makes some tasty seasonings!!

Ahh, you guys are missin out! I know what you mean though, a good steak shouldn't need anything fancy. Try my Worchestershire and beer sometime though, I'm sure you'll think it's pretty tasty too!

I like my cow to taste like cow, that's just how I roll. The rarer the better! Save the herbs for the potatoes.
Cheaper cuts, though, I will marinade, I like a good carne asada marinade, with lots of lime juice for say, bottom round, or rump roast.

I must say though, I like pairing alcohol with meats, I love duck soaked in bourbon!

What a coincidence. I like soaking myself in bourbon, and then going hunting.

:lol:

Almost as good, less of a hangover if the duck does the drinking!

I think that good beef on the grill does not need marinating. I only use kosher salt on my steaks. I want to taste the steak, not a sauce.
When on the trail, I like to cook rib eyes, cowboy steaks or NY strips. Now, if in a budget, nothing beats a skirt steak. Dollar per dollar is the best flavor deal.

Chicken, that's another story.
I like to marinate my chicken thighs in a mixture olive oil, parsley,garlic, chili flakes, salt and pepper called chimichurri.

Alvaro

Last edited:
I think that good beef on the grill does not need marinating. I only use kosher salt on my steaks. I want to taste the steak, not a sauce.
When on the trail, I like to cook rib eyes, cowboy steaks or NY strips. Now, if in a budget, nothing beats a skirt steak. Dollar per dollar is the best flavor deal.

I like to marinate my chicken thighs in a mixture olive oil, parsley,garlic, chili flakes, salt and pepper called chimichurri.

Alvaor

This post alone tells me that you know what you're doing.

x2 on what Alvaro said but will add Flap Meat is another great value like skirt steak.

lately, I've found the price of skirt steak right up there with ny strips and rib eyes...
but they're damned tasty.

if we're talking about marinated meat, there's not much that can beat quarter-inch thick short ribs marinated in a korean bbq sauce for a few hours and grilled over thigh heat for about 4 mins per side... :cool:

Alvaro

Fully agree!
Steak needs to taste like steak, bottom line. Back when I was apprenticing as a butcher, my rules of thumb were:
-If you feel you need to "tenderize" your steak with an acid bath, then stop buying from the ass of the cow.
-If you think "beef has no flavor" without marinade, don't buy the leanest hunk of meat you can find.
-Salt makes things tasty.
-If you're afraid of bloody, marbled, well-seasoned meat, the chicken case is right around the corner. Go fry up a boneless skinless breast like the rest of the lipophobes

I'll marinade chicken, I'll brine turkey and pork, but I dry age my steaks, and use only salt and pepper.

Good steak needs nothing. I'm partial to NY Strip. To me it has the best combination of texture and flavor. For camping meals I show up at my local Whole Foods which dry ages their own cuts. I get there around 7:30am when the butcher is slicing them off the larger cut. never less than 1.5" thick cooked over an open wood fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom