Whats your favorite JEEP? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would sell my 40 if Toyota built a new 4 door removable top Solid axle truck with lockers.

and I would sell a new one for a 40 :D

I came to the conclusion years ago that its not so much that Jeeps suck,its 90% of the owners that are the pieces of ****.I have never met more of a bunch of holier than thou bunch of fu*ks on the trail.When I wheeled a full size Chevy,I cant tell you the number of dirty looks,ignored waves,and rude comments I used to get.I had a guy in a Jeep on the Rubicon tell me I had no business being on the trail :confused: I also believe that on the trails I wheel regularly that 98% rock stacking pave jobs are done by Jeepers.It seems worse every year. Last summer I camped near a fun spot that had been paved.Some of the guys I was with spent a good hour or so restoring the spot.And then shortly after,a large group of jeeps came through couldnt make it past,and partially re paved it again :rolleyes:

So remember,its not the Jeeps fault that there is a jackass behind the wheel :D

And another thing :D

My wife is new to wheelin and her first time wheelin was the last time my rig was on the trail as a Chevy.And without me even saying anything,she noticed that Jeepers were sort of rude and snobby toward us.I dont get it cuz were all wheelers.

Ok,Im done now

I miss my Scrambler (CJ-8) that being said. MY FAVORITE JEEP is the one on the end of my tow cable or winch line!!!

This is mud right? when did all this other stuff pop=up here? we all rag on them but the fact is they are excellent vehicles for what they are, have been, and continue to be. We all know the strengths and weaknesses of the Jeep and the strengths of the mighty teq's but the Jeep has been plugging along longer than the 40 and continues to sell and sell. I wish toyota would have stayed on this band wagon longer and would sell another softtop competitor. Time will tell.

I only wish we had 1/8 the aftermarket following and products the ol' jeep has...

F-Junker,
I posted a quote from you about the weight of your FJ40 today on a jeep forum where they're trying to assess the ego of Toyota FJ40 owners and compare the 40's and CJ's......

Fair warning though: I listed your username and in parentheses put (just some dude with a 40):p

Post #50, 4th page......

Toyota ego? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

My favorite Jeep is the one that goes through the wash outs that the 100 Series drives around. Not a Wrangler either, a stock Grand Cherokee. Big, fat, plush, and poorly built.

Maybe the Jeeps that are responsible for winning WW2 and kicking the original Toyota's asses.

Or the one that the driver helps his buddy build his Toyota LC reguardless of his bias, and dosn't trash talk his truck on the web, unlike his buddy.

Or the Land Rover that has real wood and leather inside, or atleast leather that last more than 100,000miles without being torn, and cracked.

Or the ten year old Land Rovers with technology that Toyota is just now getting.

So, keeping the emotion out of it, how did a CJ-7 compare to an FJ40 from the factory in the early 80's?

**Qualifier - I have an FJ40 and an early Bronco, and any board I am attached to hates Jeeps, but I am curious as to how they compared from the factory.

The biggest POS in my opinion is Land Rover - the owners actually brag about how unreliable the vehicles are.

The old Land Rovers are cool, IMO. A friend has two, one of which is diesel powered while the other is slated for a diesel transplant fairly soon. He'll readily admit that they're not as reliable as a Cruiser, but he loves to tinker.

I owned an '81 CJ-7 back in the 80s. There's just no comparing that POS to a Land Cruiser. Other than the engine, which was OK, the mechanicals of it were light duty and broke easily in winter streetdriving. 20 years later I bought a '76 FJ40. This was an obviously superior vehicle, even after 20 extra years of aging.
My favorite Jeeps are the J-10 pickup and the Willys high hood- CJ-3B?

FC 170

I've always liked the Grand Wagoneers, style-wize.

DSC00597.JPG

DSC00208.JPG

LOL!

Not many people even know what those are.
I occasionally fish the Clark Fork upstream of Missoula and there is a FC 170 resting in the weeds near one of the put-ins. Hasn't moved in the years I've been going there. Every time I drive by I wish I could offer the guy a few bucks and haul it home.

Butt

F-Junker,
I posted a quote from you about the weight of your FJ40 today on a jeep forum where they're trying to assess the ego of Toyota FJ40 owners and compare the 40's and CJ's......

Fair warning though: I listed your username and in parentheses put (just some dude with a 40):p

Post #50, 4th page......

Toyota ego? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

this was a nice read for me, being fairly new to TLC's, and prolly having a slight "superiority" complex b/c yotas are really awesome machines....after all my researches and such.. (and just after having a huge debate on who's better with a good friend who's a jeep guy yesterday..)

this debate will go on forever, i guess it's ignorance that fuels all the hatin that goes on... a nd it's also cool to understand what some jeep guys think of yotas... here's what i summarized:
- a lot of the hatin is fueld by a lot of patriotism
- the " japan = junk " mentality, sorta how hyundai was like when they first started in n. america
- 40s are heavier it seems like
- we have jeep wannabees
- they've been around "longer"....
- but it's kinda cool how a lot of the jeep guys are givin respect to the fj40 and are all admiting that the 40s and other TLC's are beefier...

but, goin back to the original question, the only jeep i'll like is one which is driven by an open minded, respectful person, who knows the histories behind it all, and willin to help anyone out on the trails...
. . . sorry, just off on a slight tangent...
:steer:

Do it!

I occasionally fish the Clark Fork upstream of Missoula and there is a FC 170 resting in the weeds near one of the put-ins. Hasn't moved in the years I've been going there. Every time I drive by I wish I could offer the guy a few bucks and haul it home.

Butt

I saw one in Gridley CA at a used car lot for $750. I was in our big rig and had a schedule to keep. When I went back through there a week later it was gone. I stopped and asked about it and was told a guy bought it for the engine and transmission since he was already restoring one and needed a power train.

There is a guy in Visalia, CA that has 6 or 8 of them sitting in a field.

I'd love to, but I'm cobbling together what I can to keep my 60 running! For now I'll just daydream. If it's still there in a few years maybe I'll move on it.

There is a guy in Visalia, CA that has 6 or 8 of them sitting in a field.
Is the guy just a hoarder or is he working on any of them?

This one would be ultra cool too!

(Click on picture for link)
Butt

My friend has always wanted an old jeep and about a month ago found this 1956 CJ6 that was in great shape. He's as thrilled with this as I was when I got mt FJ40. Anyone know where to find a hard top or decent soft top? I'm trying to convince him he needs some steel wheels....fast!
IMG_8761.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom