What weights and brands to use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to change out the diff. fluids as well as the transmission fluid on my '78 FJ40. Any recommendations as to the type and weights to go with? I've heard good things about Amsoil - but is the cost worth it? What else would provide the best performance?

Thanks

I've been using the Amsoil since the late seventies in many different rigs: From Porsches to Land rovers and just about everything in between. The gear lube in particular is the product I like the best. I've seen it smooth out balky transmissions in 911's to heal the leaky pinion seal of a volvo 122.
It is no secret that it perhaps the best stuff out there.
The real question though is it worth the money? For me there is no question about it. But I'm willing to spend a little extra in this department. If you buy the 2 2/12 gallon twin pack of gear lube it brings the cost down some. (2 1/2 gallons will do a whole cruiser). Cold weather and hot weather performance are alot better. Some people even claim slight mpg improvements. perhaps.
One of the argument against using it in cruisers is the fact that we run in water so much that the oils have to be changed frequently. True but this oil is so superior that even when contaminated it is still doing a good job protecting the running gear. Last time I checked the prices on land cruiser parts they are getting more and more dear. I've bought used vehicles that had been using amsoil and been favorably impressed.
I bought a 1970 bronco when I was in Bethel Alaska 4 years ago. This is a very remote and very harsh place for vehicles. This rig had been there all its life. It had a couple of faded amsoil stickers on the bumper. When I pick up a used rig I always change the fluids out particularly when one looks like its been rode hard and put up wet like this one obvious did. It drove well though, the 3spd transmission remarkably smooth and easy shifting. The oil I drained from it was clearly amsoil gear lube which had been in there along time. So I just filled her back up with some fresh stuff. I really did'nt need any reasurance for using amsoil at that time but it came anyway in an unexpected way.
One aspect of amsoil which has always bugged me is the multi level marketing deal. I dont like it but I put up with it to use the gear lube and grease. They also have a little sray can MP metal protector with blows the doors off WD40 and similar products. Worth it? yes but that is just my opinion with 25 years of experience behind it. I just use the 80/90 stuff for gear lube and the lithium complex multi purpose synthetic grease mostly. :beer:

Axlechassis, I appreciatethe information. Where can a person buy Amsoil? I live in Houston, TX and haven't seen it at any of the local Auto Parts stores. &nbsp:Do they have a distributor? Also, you mentioned 80/90 weight for the gear lube. &nbsp:Does that include the 4 speed tranny or just differentials? I need to get this stuff changed out this weekend. Thanks again.

how often do you change yer fluids? &nbsp:Daily driving or pure offroad, or mix?

Mine gets done twice a year, so I'm cheap...considering that's maybe 5000 miles per change....but mine is pure offroad, road miles add up to ~250 total per year, and that's just between trailheads. Never over 60 in my truck either.

80W-90 for the diffs, t-case and tranny....cheaper the better and by the 5-gallon drum (usually local fleet-farm special). Marine-grade grease for the u-joints, birfs, and any other greasable part. 10W-40 Valvoline for the engine, every 40-50 hours (YES, an hourmeter is installed, no odometer) and I always use NAPA Gold oil filters.

Purely an on/off road pleasure vehicle. &nbsp:Driven on some weekends only. Only had it for about 4 months so I'm just changing the fluids. I've already done the oil change with Valvoline MaX Life but used a 5W-30. It was cold outside 30-40 F then. It is probably about time to get it changed to the 10W-40 as the temperature here is about 93 deg. F here today. (Houston). I was using an STP oil filter but will take your advice and switch to the Napa Gold. &nbsp:Doesn't WIX also make a pretty good filter?

NAPA Gold is a Wix filter. At least it always used to be, should be a little Wix/Dana somewhere on the box.

Another nice thing about a five gallon pail of gear oil is you can get a pump to mount on the pail. I usually have my 8 year old pump while I'm underneath - super easy. 8) I don't know how anyone could stand using those squeeze bottles or squirt guns.

yeppers...NAPA Gold = Wix...good filter.

(BTW: 30-40 is not cold.....lol)

I've got a lot of buddies who swear by various oil brands and types...IMO, if you are conscientious about changing it and keeping it clean, brand is mostly irrevelant. (Tho, I'd never use Pennzoil....personal thing....)

I got stuck in a Valvoline rut for whatever reason, some guys love amsoil, some Castrol....doesn't matter IMO.

I'm usually lazy and stick with one vicosity all the time.

(Believe it or not, my old tired 350 that was removed this winter ran all 4 seasons of the year on 3 quarts SAE-50 and 3 bottles of motor honey....and still only held 3 psi of oil pressure!)

(BTW:  30-40 is not cold.....lol)

this winter ran all 4 seasons of the year on 3 quarts SAE-50 and 3 bottles of motor honey....and still only held 3 psi of oil pressure!)

No reason to be running 5/30 until the temperature gets into negative numbers (IMHO).

In high school I had an old Audi that leaked so much engine oil I used the drained off gear oil from the Cruiser in it! Never changed it, just topped it off. Some vehicles you want to die, and they just won't. :dunno:

Thanks for the input everyone.  That tells me what I needed to know.  I'm a Valvoline fan too, but I work for the parent company that owns Valvoline (Ashland) so I'm a little biased! :G

I use Castrol 20w50 year round in the motor, and 80w90 in the diffs. I've been changing diff fluid more than motor oil lately, so I use cheap stuff.

Axlechassis, I appreciatethe information.  Where can a person buy Amsoil?  I live in Houston, TX and haven't seen it at any of the local Auto Parts stores.  Do they have a distributor? Also, you mentioned 80/90 weight for the gear lube.  Does that include the 4 speed tranny or just differentials?  I need to get this stuff changed out this weekend.  Thanks again.
You should be able to find several distributors in your area.
Try a browser search or pull up the corp. web site
www.amsoil.com
for a nominal fee you can become a distrubutor. I think now you can even purchase retail over the internet. It seems like some dealers are let their customers use their corp.# to order whole sale avoiding the signup fee. Since I'm totaly not into the product as a bussiness I dont know much about the latest angles. I am a lifetime dealer but dont resell. as I mentioned before the multi level marketing thing is'nt my cup of tea. They used to offer lifetime memberships but soon thought better of it. I think it would be good to find someone in your area interested in selling it they will also undoubtably provide some usefull info.
Yes you can use the 80/90 in everything axles, transmission, transfercase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom