What weight of oil are you running in your 2F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there are many oil threads on this forum; if you search you'll find that 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40 and 20W-50 are very common. Lots of folks running a little heavier weight. Use something with a zinc additive.

Last edited:
20w 50 in all 4. 2 - F engines and 2 - 2f engines.
Yea, my owners manual actually suggests Castrol 20/50. I've run this forever and never had a wear related problem. I'm in central cal. the weather is pretty mild except summers that are brutal. 100 + F.

20 W 50

"closely related to a tractor" :doh:

Well let's see the owner's manual and the shop manual say to run 20-50. And I'm in AZ. So I run Pennzoil 20-50. I buy it by the case from NAPA it's virtually impossible to find elsewhere. I also run the same oil in the 4Runner. ;)

I use 20W-50 also. Since reading up here (and elsewhere) on the reduced Zinc additives in modern motor oils and the resultant accelerated camshaft wear on flat-tappet motors like the F-series, I started using Valvoline Racing 20W-50 since it specifically has high ZDDP concentration for flat-tappet engines.

I use 20W-50 also. Since reading up here (and elsewhere) on the reduced Zinc additives in modern motor oils and the resultant accelerated camshaft wear on flat-tappet motors like the F-series, I started using Valvoline Racing 20W-50 since it specifically has high ZDDP concentration for flat-tappet engines.

High ZDDP content is one of the reasons many of us run Shell Rotella T 15W40 in our 2F's. For years this oil featured one of the highest zinc contents of any motor oil. It was reformulated in 2007 with the zinc content being slightly reduced from 1400 ppm to 1200 ppm, but supposedly the wear protection hasn't been diminished . Valvoline Racing 20W50 has 1300-1400 ppm ZDDP.

From Shell's FAQ:

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/CJ4/cj4_faq.html

Is Shell Rotella T motor oil going to have less zinc in 2007?

Yes. The API CJ-4 (next generation) Shell ROTELLA? T multigrade motor oil will have a slightly lower level of zinc than the current API API CI-4 PLUS Shell ROTELLA? T. Zinc is typically used as part of the anti-wear system within the oil. However, less zinc in API CJ-4 oils compared with API CI-4 PLUS oils does not mean increased wear. In fact, wear protection is one of the key areas where the API CJ-4 category provides improvements over API CI-4 PLUS. (Other areas include; oxidation stability and soot control). The new API CJ-4 Shell ROTELLA? T multigrade motor oil also meets the requirements of earlier API performance categories such as API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, as well as others, and can be used in engines specifying any of these performance categories.

And for anyone interested in petrochemistry and cam wear:

ZDDP (Zinc Dialkyl-Dithio-Phosphate, "zinc" or "zink") is an anti-wear oil additive that contains roughly equal amounts of zinc (Zn) and phosphorus (P) and is particuarly critical for correct lubrication of flat-tappet camshafts. The amount of ZDDP has decreased over time with the broad adoption of roller-tappet cams and the negative impact ZDDP has on catalytic converters.

Standards for engine oil are set by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and the International Lubricants Standards Approval Committee (ILSAC). Prior to 1988 API SF specified a minimum of 1500 PPM P. In 1993 API SG reduced reduced the minimum to 1200 PPM, and it was reduced again to 1000 PPM with the SL specification. A broad wave of flat-tappet camshaft failures started in 2004 following introduction of API SM and ILSAC GF-4 oil specifications which set a maximum of 800 PPM and a minimum of 600 PPM P for grades SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30. Initially blamed on poor cam quality control, it was quickly determined that it was in fact the reduction of ZDDP combined with more agressive cam profiles and associated higher spring loads that were the root cause. Testing that showed the new oils would still have acceptable ZDDP for flat-tappet cams was done with very mild cam profiles and very low spring pressures - not what is found in a performance engine. Note that as an additive, ZDDP loses potency over time, losing approximately 1/2 of it's effectivness at approximately 6,000 miles.

API/ILSAC Oil Specifications
  • Flat-tappet cam failures started with the reduction of ZDDP < 1000 PPM.
  • Based on this, 1000 PPM ZDDP is the minimum required level.
  • Levels of 1200-1400 ppm ZDDP are required for more extreme cams. What level defines too much ZDDP is unclear, but for street use more than 1400 PPM is likely not appropriate.
  • Oil change intervals should be no more than 3,000 miles.
  • Any oil marked API SM and/or ILSAC GF-4/CJ-4 compliance in grades SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30 cannot have sufficient ZDDP

The unity of the Lee's! :) :beer:

Anti-seize is not Zinc.

We use Rotella plus break in additive in 1,2 and 3Fs.

Exactly. You can run any conventional oil with the break in additive but with solid, flat tappet lifters I don't think you can have to much zinc.

Mobil 1 10/40 HI MILAGE .......swells the seals......no leaks or oil burning for years. Change it once a year, never over 7500 miles. Instant oil pressure even after weeks of no starts. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom