1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type/brand of grease??

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by scruffydawg, May 14, 2003.

1. scruffydawg

scruffydawg

I just installed greasable shackle pins and checking to see what everyone is using. Thanks

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

mine are going in tomorrow, I was planning on using standard multipurpose lithium grease.  I think the only place that a special grease is needed are the birfields=moly grease.  Other than that grease is grease right? :dunno:
    Oh yeah this brings me to another applicable question-should I grease the pin and bushings prior to installation? I forgot to order greasable spring pins for the opposite from shackle side of the spring.

3. axlechassis

axlechassis

You got me started: grease is definately not all the same. Some grease is far superior to moisture and wide temperature ranges that occur on cruisers. personally I'm a fan of the synthetics. When you go to all the trouble to do all this work on something like a cruiser why not use the best products available :beer:

4. woody

woody Internet Fireman Staff Member

Media:
    I use marine grade stuff everywhere....u-joints, birfields, shackles, etc. My stuff tends to come apart frequently, so no long-term experience, but I've yet to replace a u-joint EVER so it can't be all bad....

5. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

http://www.galleria-e.com/cgi-bin/colemans.storefront/en/catalog/1036

Scroll to the 15 gallon pail of Mobil Synthetic grease. Normally $200+.... you can buy it for $15. Sure, it's 8 years past the printed shelf life, but there's no base oil separation, nor any drying/cracking. I've been useing it w/ very good results... that would be no "lube related failures".

6. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Could I use that grease for everything? Ie Birfields? I've got a sneaking suspicion that my birfields are empty, cause when i got the cruiser they leaked a little, and now they aren't at all. That would be nice to have a nearly lifetime supply of grease for $15.

7. tetradymite

tetradymite

Yeah, cools tuff, "what a bargain", but its $35 to ship!!

8. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Even at $50 total, its still considerably less than buying it by the tube at the local Ace, and it seems to be better quality grease, and as long as your grease gun is capable of suction filling your all good. :D

9. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

It is probably more than adequate for most automotive applications. The stuff is Mobilgrease 28 synthetic, run it through a general search engine to find out more than you wanted to know - industrial grade stuff!

10. MarkFJ40

MarkFJ40

Truck drivers have to grease everything before almost every trip. They use some kick ass synthetic. I got some off a buddy and it lasted way longer then the cheapo stuff from the corner parts store. Very important with all the water and mud around here.