AltFuel What to look for in a diesel destined to run on bio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
What is ideal for a bio-diesel engine? If you were looking to drop in a diesel and one of the main criteria was compatibility with bio-diesel what would you look for? What engines fit those categories, Toyota or otherwise?

What is ideal for a bio-diesel engine? If you were looking to drop in a diesel and one of the main criteria was compatibility with bio-diesel what would you look for? What engines fit those categories, Toyota or otherwise?

Charles,
Based on the anecdotal info here seems to me that most guys are running the 3B. The lore seems to be that the older diesels, B, 3B, running Vito fuel lines, tolerate bio-d better. I think the idea is that they are less finicky than the newer diesels and could tolerate impurities that may crop up in home brew bio-d . I'd be interested to know as I now have a spare B engine and I think that it would make a great candidate for a bio-d /svo/wvo project for someone. Any actual studies out there comparing and contrasting engine characteristics might be interesting to know.:hmm:
John

I use Biodiesel in my 14bt engine since new, from 50% to 90% biodiesel depending on the temperature, no issues, actually the injection pump makes less noise and the combustion since to be better. Mpg is also improved.

I have been running my 3B on anything from B5 to B100 for years now with no problems.

The biggest issue is fuel line material. Bio eats right through natural rubber. Swap your old fuel lines with Viton and you're good to go.

The other issue is fuel quality. If you are running on spec fuel (ASTM D6751), you won't have any issues. If you need a supplier, try Biodiesel Stations | OVER 1500 BIODIESEL LOCATIONS IN THE US for a map of Bio stations.

Thanks for the viton reminder, I hadn't thought about this in a while. Anyone got a good source for Viton fuel lines? Sorry if this is off topic.
John

Any actual studies out there comparing and contrasting engine characteristics might be interesting to know.:hmm:
John

I did a lit review on biofuel use in unmodified engines while working on my masters degree. My paper focused on emissions, but I seem to recall some of the sort of info you seek in some of my references... sooo... go nuts:

[1] M. P. Dorado et al., “Testing Waste Olive Oil Methyl Ester as a Fuel in a Diesel Engine,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 17 (2003), pp. 1560-1565

[2] C. L. Peterson et al., “Long-Range On-Road Test with Twenty-Percent Rapeseed Biodiesel,” Applied Engineering in Agriculture, vol. 15 (2), pp. 91-101

[3] A. S. Ramadhas et al., “Characterization and Effect of Using Rubber Seed Oil As Fuel in the Compression Ignition Engines,” Renewable Energy, vol. 30 (2005), pp. 795-803

[4] P. K. Karra et al., “Characteristics of Engine Emissions Using Biodiesel Blends in Low-Temperature Combustion Regimes,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 22 (2008), pp. 3763-3770

[5] M. Canakci, “Performance and Emissions Characteristics of Biodiesel From Soybeans,” Proc. IMechE, vol. 219 D: J. Automobile Engineering, pp. 915-922

[6] F. Wu et al., “A Study on Emission Performance of a Diesel Engine Fueled With Five Typical Methyl Ester Biodiesels,” Atmospheric Environment, vol. 43 (2009), pp. 1481-1485

[7] S. de Almeida et al., “Performance of a Diesel Generator Fuelled with Palm Oil,” Fuel, vol. 81 (2002), pp. 2097-2102

[8] B. Yacobucci, “RS20459: Diesel Fuel and Engines: An Overview of New Emissions Regulations,” CRS Report for Congress, October 5, 2000

[9] T. Fang et al., “Reducing NOx Emissions from a Biodiesel-Fueled Engine by Use of Low-Temperature Combustion,” Environ. Sci. Technol., vol. 42 (2008), pp. 8865-8870

[10] H. Panchasara et al., “Combustion Performance of Biodiesel and Diesel-Vegetable Oil Blends in a Simulated Gas Turbine Burner,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol. 131 (2009), pp. 031503-1 through 031503-11

[11] S. R. Turns, An Introduction to Combustion: Concepts and Applications, 2000, McGraw-Hill, USA

[12] A. Ozsezen, “Effects of Biodiesel from Used Frying Palm Oil on the Exhaust Emissions of an Indirect Injection (IDI) Diesel Engine,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 22 (2008), pp. 2796-2804

[13] C. Yu et al., “A Comparison of Combustion Characteristics of Waste Cooking Oil with Diesel as Fuel in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine,” J. Automobile Engineering, vol. 216, pp. 237-243

[14] M. Dorado, “Testing Waste Olive Oil Methyl Ester as a Fuel in a Diesel Engine,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 17 (2003), pp. 1560-1565

[15] P. Suarez, “Comparing the Lubricity of Biofuels Obtained From Pyrolysis and Alcoholysis of Soybean Oil and Their Blends with Petroleum Diesel,” Fuel, vol. 88, pp. 1143-1147

[16] B. Moser, “Evaluation of Castor and Lesquerella Oil Derivative as Additives in Biodiesel and Ultralow Sulfur Diesel Fuels,” Energy and Fuels, vol. 22 (2008), pp. 1349-1352.

my 3 b runs better on straight cleaned and de-watered waste veggie oil (wvo) than it does on diesel just start on diesel until up to operating temp and switch over to wvo tank . wvo is pre heated via a heat exchanger @ the tank and a heated filter. well worth the cool factor and a big winner on the trail ! everyone wants to drive behind the chip truck.
mike,moose

B100 in my 2H for at least 40,000 miles. No fuel-related issues whatsoever. My (leather) IP diaghragm is leaky, but it came that way.

But to better answer your question, look for a motor with indirect injection, and one with no computer-controlled air mixture, oxygen sensors, or such. Direct injection is more sensitive and the spray pattern is more cruicial for complete combustion. This is not so much an issue with biodiesel, but with WVO, if you ever run it. I carry a big jug of Wesson as a my emergency fuel back-up, in case I run out of fuel. Under pretty much any realisitc scenario, it would be used once the motor is nice and warm (or why would I run out of fuel?), and very, very, very seldom used, so coking would not be a concern. If you opt to convert your system to a single or dual tank wvo burner, IDI is by far more preferrable. The older the motor design, the better. New s*** is very finicky, for the most part.

The very best motor for WVO use is either the 4 or 5-cylinder Mercedes diesel motors from the W123 line (240D and 300D...until 1985). Unstoppable injection pump. Old Isuzu motors (like the 4JB1) are great for this fuel, as are the B, 2B, 3B, H and 2H Hino (Toyota) motors. There are certainly others, such as the Nissan SD-33 and SD-33T, to name a couple...

Last edited:
I produce my own bio-diesel and have run it in my 1978HJ45 (H diesel) for years and have had no problems. I am in the southern portion of the U.S. and am able to run pure bio-diesel approximately 9 months out of the year. I have also used limited amounts in my 2L-TE and plan to use 100% later this Spring.
If I have any issues I will let you know...........1978HJ45

The H's

I run B100 in both of my trucks regularly. The indirect injected 2H is perfectly suited to the task. For the 12HT, I'm adding a Racor 390RC with extra water sensor and in-bowl heater before the stock filter.

I wouldn't think twice about converting the 2H to full SVO. I'd be a bit more cautious with the direct injected 12HT, but I'd still do it if I had room for a second tank. The 2H, of course, is not a turbo, but it'll run on pretty much anything.

Bottom line is they're both great options but if B50+ is a priority and SVO is even on the horizon I'd look for an indirect injected turbodiesel.

I ran 100% biodiesel in a late model VW and the only issue was with the computer that adjusted the fuel mixture as it related to ambient temperature. That computer did not like bio and would illuminate the "check engine light" on cool mornings however the light would usually go out as the day warmed. I think as a general rule the less computers associated with the engine the better the result will be. My "H' and "2L-TE" are doing quike well on 100% biodiesel. Hope that helps..........................1978HJ45

Equally off topic, anyone got a good source for a Viton injector pump seal kit for Toyota 2L?

Hiflo in Australia will have the kit and at likely a much better price than anyone available in NA. I got my OEM IP seal kit from them for $18. AFAIK, and fuel injection lines and seals made after 1994 will be made of viton or similar material.

Charles, over and over in the post I have read people state that the inline IP is the best suited for bio or WVO (esp WVO). I have seen a number of set-up running bio with no problems on a rotary IP. Infact, bio or some SVO mixed in will only help ensure the longevity of a rotary IP. Unlike the inline, it really needs the lube in the fuel. Any Japanese diesel should have no problems running bio. The ones which had problems were NA diesels like the chevs and fords.

What about a Cummins

Anyone ran bio through a 4BT or an older 12 valve 6BT? I like the parts availability for the cummins..

Equally off topic, anyone got a good source for a Viton injector pump seal kit for Toyota 2L?

This actually raises an additional question, from what I have read here from 93 on Toyota switched go Viton lines for fuel lines in the 1HZ. Did they also switch to Viton seals throughout the fuel system? If not where can i source Viton fuel lines and seals for the 1HZ? End of highjack initiated by another guy:grinpimp:

But to better answer your question, look for a motor with indirect injection, and one with no computer-controlled air mixture, oxygen sensors, or such. Direct injection is more sensitive and the spray pattern is more cruicial for complete combustion. This is not so much an issue with biodiesel, but with WVO, if you ever run it. I carry a big jug of Wesson as a my emergency fuel back-up, in case I run out of fuel. Under pretty much any realisitc scenario, it would be used once the motor is nice and warm (or why would I run out of fuel?), and very, very, very seldom used, so coking would not be a concern. If you opt to convert your system to a single or dual tank wvo burner, IDI is by far more preferrable. The older the motor design, the better. New **** is very finicky, for the most part.

The very best motor for WVO use is either the 4 or 5-cylinder Mercedes diesel motors from the W123 line (240D and 300D...until 1985). Unstoppable injection pump. Old Isuzu motors (like the 4JB1) are great for this fuel, as are the B, 2B, 3B, H and 2H Hino (Toyota) motors. There are certainly others, such as the Nissan SD-33 and SD-33T, to name a couple...

What about 13bt toyota diesel engine ? I m thinking to start doing some biodiesel and wvo... It can run without convert or kit ?
:steer:

What about 13bt toyota diesel engine ? I m thinking to start doing some biodiesel and wvo... It can run without convert or kit ?
I use a mix of BD - VO - jetB - ULSD in a 13BT. Four years, no significant problems. The only mods are plug-in pre-heating and a FlatPlateHeatExchanger between the fuel feed pump and the filter. Use at least 50% ULSD to avoid the problems most experience with VO or BD fuels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom