What radiator for an FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Well my radiator is leaking again. I think it has to do with it being repaired so many times that the metal is getting weak. I'd like to fix it for good now and am wondering what you all have as far as radiators in your v8 converted FJ40s.

What should I do?
* Get it repaired again? (I don't really want to do this)
* Get a custom one made? (Sounds expensive)
* Get a custom aluminum one made? (Sounds even more expensive)
* Any other options?

Thanks,
Scott

I just had mine redone in town here two weeks ago. They got a new core, and reused my tanks..Worked great.

I have a 3/79 that has A/C so was nervous buying one from one of the on-line sources, because I couldn't get a guarentee would fit. Also couldn't determine the exact differance between A/C & Non-A/C versions.

Anyway, NEW OEM styled ones on-line go for about $245 & Up

there is a guy on ebay selling aluminum radiators a few of us have used. I want to say his handle is dirttrack. They are wider than stock and require a little fabrication, but they appear to be good quality and a good price. I think I paid $165, maybe even a bit less. If you can't find a listing on ebay shoot me a PM and I'll do some more checking.

Has anyone tried these radiators?
http://www.becool.com/

They have pre-built dual-core aluminum radiators for our FJ40s. I don't have a price yet but I'm looking.

Has anyone tried aluminum and liked it?

Thanks,
Scott

I think the BeCool alum. radiator for FJ40 is well over $500.

CCOT has a 4 row that fits that was on sale for $189 recently.
That's what I'm going to use in my sbc powered 40. Mine is stock now and is marginal.

Get a universal model from summit with outlets for a SB chevy. Any competent radiator shop can make it fit for little dough, it will work wonderful. Went from a stock radiator in an overheating 12 second nova to a universal be cool and I have never looked back (Not my ride though).

I installed the 4 row CCOT radiator in my fj40 a month or so ago and it cools so well my temp guage barely gets into the normal operating range where my old radiator ran alot warmer.

A good radiator to run is Griffen. Be Cool radiators are excellent also, but can be pricy. I had my TLC rad modified in my old cruiser with a 5 row core, worked good at idle and around the town in 100 + degree weather, but would run about 200 degrees on the highway going about 65-70mph. The faster I went the hotter it ran. In cunjunction with the rad I also had a 7 blade clutch fan, shroud, and electric fan.
If I run a V-8 in the cruiser I have now, I would spend the $ on a Griffen.

Ranger,
I think you mean Griffin. Good radiators but pricey.

I have a stock radiator in a 76 FJ40 w/ a 327 V8, flex fan, and fabricated fan shroud. Temp runs ~170 to ~190 depending on outside temp. I don't see a need to replace the radiator but I am contemplating swapping the flex fan for an electric. The fan scrapes the shroud every time I hit a bump and sparks fly through the hood vents and out the bottom :eek:...An undesirable fire hazard.

what year Mark VII do those fans come out of?

Bought from Summit..made by Griffin ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom