What once was shall be no more (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks I'm very happy to see it coming together.
Have the front turn signals mounted & been designing on bumpers & such.
More progress to come soon!

Sliders on.
Plated & insured
Been running it up & down the road but still no tail lights.
Working out some bugs.
Damn those front springs are stiff!

So I took it to work today (50 mile round trip)
And damn the suspension is so stiff its almost like a rigid mount suspension.
Are Bilsteins that stiff? Will they loosen up a bit ?

And the exhaust needs to run under the fuel tank, does that seem like a bad idea?

Please give me input as I have less than a week to finish up enough to wheel it at the shakedown

Use a heat shield for the gas tank. Got any aluminum laying around? Even some roll flashing would work as long as there is a gap between the tank and aluminum. Make it like a little tunnel to channel the heat away from tank.

How's your shackle angle? What springs do you have? Shocks shouldn't add a ton of stiffness to the ride.

Yes, I was gonna make a heat shield. So thanks for the confirmation of that plan.

The front springs are 1980s Rancho 4" lift springs. I know they are stiff (3 thick leaves) and I hope they will soften as they get used. The rears are a home made pack. The shackle angles are not an issue, both ends are at a good place.
I weigh in at 205# and I can stand on either end of the truck & jump up & down and the shocks only compress about 1/4" (I smeard grease on the shafts to monitor movement)

I know I don't have all my weight on the truck yet...tools, spare & such but holy crap...on the "sectioned" state road I take home from work the bounce was so bad it was almost unbearable.
I have the tires at 25 psi front & 22 rear and still don't get a good contact patch but I hate to lower them any more.

I would think the 4" lift springs are where the stiffness is coming from.

Mayhaps I'll remove one leaf & see if that helps

I run my tires at 18lbs. Are your shackles to tight? Is the slip yoke on your drive shaft over full with grease?

Don't think shackles are too tight...it flexes OK with either front tire on my big rock . I can check the slips but when I put them on the were slipping just fine & I haven't perfected the "80 series method" of greasing them so I haven't greased them since installed..
I'll leave the suspension alone until shake down & mayhaps we can look it over & think about it.
Over decent roads its fine and on smooth roads it rides like a Lexus, doesn't pull or drift, goes straight and is quite a joy to drive....but when you hit a rough patch you better be ready.

I must redo the exhaust cause I have it exiting just behind the driver door and its so loud you cannot hear anything but it....sounds good but way too loud.

I will lower the tire psi some more for a better contact patch. Was just worried that I was going too low but if they aren't bulging and I'm not getting a good contact then I don't see how it could hurt..
Thanks for all the input!

Replaced the right front fender with new.
Bed on & most of the lights working.
A few things left to do but they can wait till after the shake down run.
More pics to follow .

image.jpg
almost done (for now). But good enough to give a shake down!
And everything worked very well! I am well pleased!
Now to do some more details and put a bed floor in it and ready for PYS!

image.jpg
I decided to do a tube bed instead of an exocage. But still plan to do an exocage for the cab as $$ permits

SWEET!!!! Can't wait to see it in action. Don't forget to make the doors removable, all the cool kids are doing it.

As the passenger on Saturday, I can say I am way impressed with you have put together in short order and how well it worked on its first run!!!!

Looks greeat Tony, almost as sexy as you!!

As the passenger on Saturday, I can say I am way impressed with you have put together in short order and how well it worked on its first run!!!!

Thanks John John, means a lot to me.
Thank you everyone for all the compliments on this build. I love it!

Tony, I am humbled by your badassedness!! You built that thing with one arm quicker than most people can with two!! Looks great, glad to hear it worked awesome and sucks I could not be there to see it in its full glory!

I need to get hustling, using your time table, i only have two days left to get an SAS done on the taco!

Couldn't have done it without help from my friends in the form of labor, loaner tools and free parts!
But I must confess I don't fxxx around. I spent every minute I had available wrenching on it.
Thank you to everyone that gave in one form or another! Much appreciated!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom