What mod did you add to your Toyota this weekend? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark,

Are you pulling the transmission also? I've heard mixed things about how to get the Tcase out of the 80's. I'm about to have to replace the Tcase in mine and I REALLY don't want to have to pull the whole sha-bang.

From what I can see of mine it looks like 6 bolts that mate the Tcase to Trans is all you need to remove to separate.

I found a thread on Mud about it and it looks fairly simple.

You have a slightly different setup than me, but I figure the mating is basically the same.

I'm officially 25% slower

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Looking good Mark!

Finally finished mine this weekend also. With the exception of a front drive shaft...

Now just a little re-wiring and rear shocks (they'll be in today) before Crawl....also going to glue the shifter boot to the under side of the console...but you get the idea..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@fjfodee did you have to grind/clearance the inside of the case to get those to fit?

Yes. Not too much tho. Barely any room in there in stock form. I bet there was less than .020 clearance after I got everything cleaned up and new gears installed.

I wanted to post the video I took, but it wouldn't work. What you would've seen wasn't pretty. The shackle mount worked a crack in the frame and there was major play causing the metal slapping sound we were hearing. With the work of @YotaJosh and @Tireguy87, the Green Machine is back in business. Welded in some angle iron to fix and beef up the frame and then welded the mounts back on. Also changed out the spring bushings while we had the springs out and changed out a tie rod end that was wore out.

Great day of wrenching, and I can't think Josh and Jason enough.

image.png

Enjoyed it Lance. Josh did all the hard work. Lance and I handled the easy details.

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

@fjfodee How you liking that new low gear set? Just wondering if I should do the same before I put the replacement case in.

@fjfodee How you liking that new low gear set? Just wondering if I should do the same before I put the replacement case in.

I like 'em. It's nothing like the doubler I had in my mini, but it does well in the 80.

Installing with the Tcase out would definitely be easier. If you do this remember to take notes/pics of the diss assembly process. Everything MUST go back EXACTLY how it's removed. It's very easy to put an idler back on the wrong way. You won't know it till everything is buttoned up and it won't go into low.
Please Help! - Can't shift into low range after crawler gear install

I went with TG. Mainly because of cost. I will say that these gears are cut/tooling in China. Make sure all threads are tapped before you install.

Thanks.

I don't want to have to regear from 4.11 so I think this is my only option to really turn the 35's offroad. It wont see 4 diamond trails but definitely 3's and a good amount of streets/mall parking lots.

Not the weekend but I did get a few things done today.

Tires and wheels mounted up (wheel spacers to come). I also started the desmog today as well. Got my EGR blockoff plate made and some of the emissions stuff out of the way.

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

Relay rod got a little bent on the last ride. Decided to upgrade it and the tie rod. Good Lord what an ordeal!! Wound up not being able to use the tie rod and may go back to the stock relay. Seems most agree that bending a stock rod is better than snapping the shaft on the gear box...

IMG_1004.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1005.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom