What might these strange starting symptoms be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, normally, when I turn the key to "on", all the dashboard illumination comes on.
Yesterday, when I did that, there was no illumination and the starter kept turning. ( I hadn't turned the key, to the next position, to activate it ). It also had bypassed my after market immobiliser, which I hadn't armed.
When I moved the lever from P to R, it started to move back, but there was a roughness to the normally, smooth engine. When I moved it through N to D, the engine stopped. Was able to start it in N and when I went into D, it moved forward but the roughness was still there.
When in N, I had to activate the starter, but in P, it activated itself. All the illumination lights stayed off.
Left it for an hour and when I returned, everything was perfect.
But today, some of the symptoms recurred. When I move the gear lever from P down, I hear a slightly strange noise from the direction of the base of the lever.
It definitely seems like an electrical fault.
It is a 1998 UZJ100 4.7.
Would be glad of any help! Cheers.

Last edited:
First thing I would do is unplug/undo the after market immobiliser if possible - eliminate that as a potential failure point. Second, check for water or large amounts of condensation anywhere near the ecu or other electronics. After that get it hooked up to a scanner to look for any faults.

Good luck - many electrical issues are a pain to diagnose!

Cheers
First thing I would do is unplug/undo the after market immobiliser if possible - eliminate that as a potential failure point. Second, check for water or large amounts of condensation anywhere near the ecu or other electronics. After that get it hooked up to a scanner to look for any faults.

Good luck - many electrical issues are a pain to diagnose!
Cheers, Scott

I had weak batteries due to a dying alternator and it caused a lot of these same issues. Gauges not working properly and very poor shifting on startup. I would not have guessed that could cause the shifting issues but as soon as I put in a new battery everything was resolved. I am waiting on my new 180 amp alternator now.

interesting. Will add them to my checking list! Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom