What Kind of Oil in Air Compressor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60Cam

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.mosleymotors.com
What type of oil do you typically run in an air compressor? If it matters, it's a small construction deal, not the nice belt driven shop type.

Can I use some of the motor oil that I've got laying around? (5-30, 15-40)

I think I used straight 30W. Must have read that someplace, maybe the manual.

what mine said was to run Non Detergent 30w oil in it (ND30W)

Anything wrong with 5w-30? It lives outdoors at night and it didn't want to get started on some of the colder mornings... plus I already have some;)

It probably has detergent in it. I've always heard to use non-detergent. Don't know why, but every manual I've read states non-detergent, so there must be a reason.

-Spike

For an oil bath compressor, they make "air compressor oil" and it's available anywhere, even online. There is even a synthetic air compressor oil. I know Homo Depot sells it, and so does the local air tool place.

For an oil bath compressor, they make "air compressor oil" and it's available anywhere, even online. There is even a synthetic air compressor oil. I know Homo Depot sells it, and so does the local air tool place.

Sears also sells them too. I would spend a few extra $$ and get the right stuff.

I've never looked specifically for the compressor oil, but I haven't run accross it when buying other crap in that department. I'll look a little harder next time.

I'm also curious about what the non-detergent issue is all about...

Mobil Rarus 427 is fine for most regular "duty cycle" style compressors, it is a straight 30wt. Synthetics generally are required in the continous run style of compressors.

Found some sythetic blend oil at Lowe's today... no wonder I've never seen it, they hide the very small selection that they do have!

It probably has detergent in it. I've always heard to use non-detergent. Don't know why, but every manual I've read states non-detergent, so there must be a reason.

-Spike

I'm also curious about what the non-detergent issue is all about...

On the bottle it said that regualar oils (10-30 types) will cause carbon buildup and shorten the equipment life.

Last edited:
When I purchased my CH compressor around 10 years ago I called them to ask what oil I should put in it and their person on the phone told me regular old Mobil 1 10W-30 is what they were recommending until they came out with their own synthetic compressor oil. I change out the oil every year and it is still running strong. When this pump dies I will check it for carbon buildup. I bet the motor goes first though.

I have a bottle of Ingersoll-Rand oil that came with my IR compressor.

I filled it up when I got it 7 years ago, and haven't opened the bottle since.

Fortunately IR parts are available.

-Spike

-Spike
sometimes they also say non-foaming as well. definately non-detergent tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom