what kind of mileage are you gettign with yoru swapped in v8s? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

have to agree with the the q jet guys here, been almost vertical n still chuggin, as far as milage goes 12 ta 10 depending on how heavy my foot gets. and i also run rams horn manifolds, nothin ta do with milage but never leak and i think run alittle cooler

mileage, well it depends on what its built for.

first got it, 400sbc tired, 0 oil pressure in the summer, with q jet 31" 4.88 gears stock 4 speed never saw 55 mph. i got 12 at its best. also changed to 33" tires in there.

next was built 406 sbc cammed, port polished, roller rockers, etc...
got 6-8 mpg on the same setup. I drove it daily for three years.

she was totaled just over 1.5yrs ago, now she is built 406 with th350
and not completely streetable, couple bugs left. and new axles with 3.73 and 30" tires. Same cruiser just lost the front sheetmetal and frame, swapped in a new chassis and axles and sheetmetal.
She is now so squirelly that i cant keep my foot out of it. no mpg to report yet.

I have cracked three ram horn manifolds, buddy has two, run the block huggers, i am going to try the fenderwells soon. plus it feels like you in the bbq with those ram horns.

I could spend $300 a month in gas and repairs, for what insurance difference was for anything else i would drive. I didnt spend anywhere close to that, it was built to be cheap and powerful.

run the 400 as a 400 if not sell me the block. 383 lame excuse for the 400.

stock GM motor setups could get you very good gas mileage. tbi or tpi setup to 700r4 would be nice. dads stock 87 burb with tbi and 700r4 gets 12 to 14 city. closer to 18 i would think in a cruiser.

Never have figured it out. I can tell you it sucks on the freeway with 4.88s I watched my tank drop 1/4 going just 15 miles on the freeway - granted no telling what that means, but you don't won Cruisers to get decent mileage. My 80 Series gets around 13. Guys at work with Suburbans and Expeditions get 18.

Doesn't matter.

Jim

I'd take any of the above! It's all better than the 8-9 mpg out of my stock straight 6--plus you'll get the power. I agree with the 'doesn't matter' crowd. I don't own a cruiser because it's ecconomical!

mileage ???

who cares. I can chirp my 35's going into third. :flipoff2:

dang, i couldnt get on this site for over a week....i guess my favourites list got worn out from been clicked too much.
anyways, i dont care too much about mileage, since my current trooper only gets like 12-13 city anyways and it doenst really have any extra power...just enough to roll those 33s. i only ask becuase it will have to make the occasional trip from portland oregon to vancouver bc, so i was just curious. also i wanted to know if the quadra jet was any good, but i have heard nothign but great things about it so i am happy.
the fella who is supposed to buy my truck today is supposed to come over today, but i am still wiating to see him...and if he does i will be hoping to get my new cruiser this week sometime. wish me luck!!!

305/th350 with Carter 650 AFB and 4.11 gears 13-14 mpg on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom