What kind of fusible links am I looking for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I called the local autozone and they said "we have fusible links, but we can't tell you whether they are for your car or not".

Is there a particular load rating I am looking for? The dealerships are all closed today and I'd like to resolve my issue the proper way if I can.

Thanks.

Toyota sells the fusable links as a set of 3 which bolt onto the postive post battery lug. They are specifically rated for what each wire feeds power to which componet. They are different gauge wires so they will burn up at different amp draws. Without knowing the exact amp draw to cause it to burn up, it is dangerous to put in the wrong size. It is the same as putting in a 40 amp fuse instead of a 20 amp. Sorry I can't help with the specific guage numbers you need. I would be very careful of what any guy at Autozone tells you will be "OK".

4 1/2: What are you working on, replacement of the stock fusible links or something else? Here's a photo of the original style part:
Landcruiser fusible link 2.jpg

Last edited:
Kernal, is the part listed above the whole shebang?

The photo shows the fusible link bundle of three as it comes from a dealer; all start from the positive battery post as elhombre wrote above.

The photo shows the fusible link bundle of three as it comes from a dealer; all start from the positive battery post as elhombre wrote above.

Nice, order a spare next time i order parts.

Why is that? Do they degrade over time?

Maybe, but more importantly why not make it part of PM? My truck is 15 years old and 300k miles. Lots of heat and water and crap has gotten on it. So if you are getting one, replace it like everything else on your truck (or maybe that's just me that replaces everything) and use the one you have in the truck now (which you know works) as a backup.

Not the parts expert but I think it fits all models from 1/90.

yea that is the same link that i got for my 92 and it worked with no issues

:hmm: I now need to look into this because I am not sure I have anything in mine at the terminal. Just the rings bolted to the battery clamp. What is the danger in running without them if that is in fact the case?

:hmm: I now need to look into this because I am not sure I have anything in mine at the terminal. Just the rings bolted to the battery clamp. What is the danger in running without them if that is in fact the case?

They protect your electrical system from melting down in case of a short.... Think of it as functioning just like the blade fuses in your fuse box... HTH

BTW, I carry 2 brand new ones as spares..

Anyone know the ratings on the links? Why not splice in fuse holders with blade fuses?

Sent from my Nexus S using IH8MUD

Anyone know the ratings on the links? Why not splice in fuse holders with blade fuses?

Sent from my Nexus S using IH8MUD

You could, and swore I read something of the sort here.

I'd purchase a new one and run some tests on it. Could probably get close.

But my take on the matter is they are cheap, so a spare is not hard to afford and if you are blowing them find the problem rather feeding blade fuses or whatnot into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom