What JDM mods can be done to our 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow Mudders,
I searched and couldn't find a list of JDM mods we can do if we have the parts. I'm heading over seas and may try to collect some JDM specific stuff. So here's what I'm looking for:
What the mod is
Does it plug and play with our wiring harness
What parts are needed to make it work

Mods I'm interested in are console fridge/freezer, headlight washers, rear ladder, oversized fuel tank (I know there's a lot on that already posted), Spare tire swing out... you get the idea. I'm basically looking for a catch all list. Please post pictures if you have any and thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Scot

There are lots of small differences between a 1991 FJ80 and something like a 1991 HDJ81, almost none of which are worth pursuing.
- fridge/freezer
- window rain cover things (more annoying than functional IMO)
- manual seats with lumbar
- electric folding mirrors
- rear swing out
- passenger grab bar
- front side marker lights
- clear front corner lights
- side steps are different from the USDM trucks
- climate control all years
- lockers all years
- full float rear all years

Rear sub tank was not a JDM option, at least not on the VX Limited.

Last edited:
From my research, when you go overseas you should collect all these parts while they are attached to an HDJ81 and bring it back whole.

Don't forget the automatic "sport" suspension. Like @Douglas S said, it would be easier/ cheaper to get one...
image.png

I will be looking for one to bring back, but that might not work out. So I figured a cool consolation prize might be some goodies for my current 80.

I got the tool pocket and rear window "barrier" rods. Supposedly a bidding war in process for the one I posted above.

Rear A/C and/or the console fridge take a crazy amount of tubing that would be a royal pain to plumb a truck with. Think those through carefully before starting to accumulate parts.

A grab bar, on the other hand, is easy -- once you have the bar.
grab bar install

BTW, I think discussion resolved that there are no different bars for RHD and LHD, you just turn it over and the part matches.

Cool yellow fog lights! :)

I got the tool pocket and rear window "barrier" rods. Supposedly a bidding war in process for the one I posted above.

He's been trying to sell it for a number of years, I remember seeing it posted for 20 - 30 grand in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom