What is this? Possibly fruit related (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
On my way down Indian Spring Wash on Saturday I found several vines with these attached. Mostly along the sides of the wash so Im guessing the record rain fall has gifted us with something normally not seen. Not concentrated in one area on and off for over a couple miles. Very hard like a baseball the picture is one of the larger ones 3" in dia.. My plan is to return in a couple weeks and see any progress or if they have been eaten.
IMG_9880.JPG

thats curious....a gourd or melon of some sort? Try eating some and see what happens? :idea:

That's desert gourd, and its fruit looking like that is rare in AZ (obviously healthy this year with the rain and living along a wash). It's actually a pretty interesting plant given all the uses it is said to have (and yes it's edible). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrullus_colocynthis I've heard of people making wine out of it even. I know it grows more in southern california, but I'm not sure as to what the typical dispersion is in AZ.

That's desert gourd, and its fruit looking like that is rare in AZ (obviously healthy this year with the rain and living along a wash). It's actually a pretty interesting plant given all the uses it is said to have (and yes it's edible). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrullus_colocynthis I've heard of people making wine out of it even. I know it grows more in southern california, but I'm not sure as to what the typical dispersion is in AZ.

Thanks!!!

I will be making a harvest run in the next couple weeks to see if I can beat the animals to the yield.

as long as the plant gives you the giggles it's a winner in my book haha

of course getting the s***s from eating/smoking the wrong part of the plant, even while giggling, can be less than ideal in the desert

When i was a kid, we would use them as musical instruments, like maracas when dry. Drove my parents crazy. They grew wild in the washes in Tucson (esp. after a good rain, as you have observed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom