What is the law on windshield cracks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

splitshot

Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper.
Threads
I have always understood if it blocks your vision, it needs to be replaced. Jesse was just pulled over today for a 6" horizontal crack above the passengers wiper blade (and now I have a fix it ticket). The sun must have been just right, it is hard to see from 4 feet.

Heads up.
Just explained to me from a DPS officer; NHTSA (The National Highway Traffic Administration), has adopted new rules..
Any defect, on any glass of a vehicle falls into violation and warrants a pull over. Those tiny chips and stars included.

They are going to have a heyday in Arizona with that change in the law

NCM950042.jpg

How this was seen is beyond me.

As I'm knocking on wood can tell you my 99 4Runner still has it's original glass including the windshield. But it was from Oregon until a few years ago. Even my liability only vehicles I have glass and thief coverage. Wasn't that much more.

Bell Glass, a recommendation from murf, and we have had good experience with them on two vehicles

John if it were me I would go to court and show them that picture. Some judges don't like it when police write a ticket for stupid things like this. Would also force the officer to show up.

Well, as an officer of over 26 years now, I would have to says, outside of commercial vehicles, I never have written that ticket. It sounds like the ticket is just a "warning" and is equipment related and something you should fix. Most insurance companies have full glass coverage for your vehicles for a few extra dollars added to your coverage. I buy it for all my vehicles, they don't care how the glass was broken either. That said, chips and small dings in the glass are not issues, they can be repaired as well through the same glass coverage. No deductibles either... At least I have never had one...

Would curious if it was a warning or a real ticket? Also what LE agency it was. I find the new rules scary with the strained relations between LE and the public. Would be hard pressed to find a windshield in AZ without at least a small chip. also the fact it can be any glass. Vans can be bought with only a windshield and glass in the two front doors. But with this new rule a crack in side glass would allow a LEO to pull someone over. Also find it funny in AZ where we have no safety inspection and see plenty of vehicles on the road that aren't safe. Yet nothing to protect us from them. Just yesterday was following a pickup with a load of crushed granite in the bed. Slowed downed and got into another lane to keep from getting sand blasted. I know it's a law to have the load covered be rarely see it enforced. Personally think the company that sold and loaded should be ticketed as well as the driver. It's because the lack of enforcement the reason we have such a problem with windshields in AZ

This is the next step up from a warning, Repair order (I call them "fix it tickets", this one states 'Served'), from DPS, (vehicle needs to be taken out of service and proof of repair mailed in within 5 days). I have a good friend of mine who is a seasoned DPS officer, and he told me they just hired a bunch of new troopers who have to go through a training process. Which is only limited to issuing warnings and repair orders, they don't even have the authority to issue speeding tickets or any other serious violations.
It does need to be replaced, and I don't have the time to take it to a higher level. After looking at it, he said it is extreme (on the officer's part), to send him the pic, and he would pass it on to his boss. All I can do at this point.
I am though finished washing the bugs off my company truck...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom