What is the Gold Country... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So how do you join Gold Country Cruisers?
I think you just did!
I posted a couple of months ago and there has not been much activity since. If you want to hit a trail let me know, maybe we can work something out.

I want to join! I acquired a stock maroon '93 (no lockers) last October. It has been an obsession since then. I've replaced the radiator, installed an AOE bumper, and am in the process of baselining. Meanwhile, I'm learning the basics of offroading (this is my first 4x4 at the ripe age of 43!) by visiting Folsom Lake and Prairie City SVRA. I'm looking forward to meeting others sharing this passion!
tmp_IMG_146665637630531629571877.jpeg

nice man!

welcome aboard!

Shockervang, I don't think it's me you're seeing down in the Elk Grove/South Sac area. I haven't driven down there in the LC yet. Mostly because it SUCKS down GAS like the BOSS!!! You'll more likely to find me mostly in the lower foothills area.

I want to join! I acquired a stock maroon '93 (no lockers) last October. It has been an obsession since then. I've replaced the radiator, installed an AOE bumper, and am in the process of baselining. Meanwhile, I'm learning the basics of offroading (this is my first 4x4 at the ripe age of 43!) by visiting Folsom Lake and Prairie City SVRA. I'm looking forward to meeting others sharing this passion!

Let me know the next time you head to Prairie City and I will try to join you.

yeah we need to have another meet soon. specially since the weather is going to be great from here out.

Let me know the next time you head to Prairie City and I will try to join you.

I certainly will! I'll even post it on here with a date and time. But, first, I'm waiting for the 2.5" OME suspension kit and Nitto Terra Grapplers to arrive. I've got Christmas coming in April!!! I banged up my running boards a little on the last outing. Unfortunately, I need to keep them because my kids are still little.

well then put some sliders on your wish list. they will double as a step and protection1

So you ordered some tires?

Rock sliders are perfect steps for little kids. Even in her cowgirl boots Maggie can climb in using the steps. One benefit of factory running boards is that they are large and offer a lot of rocker paint protection. A lot of guys remove them for looks but the paint gets peppered from just driving down the road. Take it to the desert or up the hill when they are spreading sand and you'll accelerate the peppering.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I ordered some 295/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers. It should be on my doorstep tomorrow. I ordered them through Discount Tire Direct. What's interesting is that I got a $25 discount for the online order, and didn't pay taxes. I guess they are coming from some out-of-state distribution center?!? If I had ordered them from America's Tire Co, I would pay taxes and NOT get the online discount. Kind of weird...because I thought they were under the same umbrella company. But, I'll have to load these suckers up, and take them to a tire installer, which may very well end up being America's Tire Co. The 2.5" OME lift should arrive in two weeks. I started spraying the bolts with PB Blaster to get ready for the install. I'm sure I'll find a way to make a 2-hr install into an all-night marathon event...as I've done with nearly all my projects :bang:

I've narrowed down my choice of sliders: Metaltech4x4, IPOR (less expensive version of the Metaltech, but sold by Metaltech), and the white knuckle sliders. Either way, it's going to cost ~$860-$1100. Shipping is the killer. Metaltech quoted me $280 to ship their sliders from Oregon to my doorstep. Apparently the IPOR sliders, which were on sale for $580 weigh ~200lbs for the pair. That seems way too heavy, but after inquiring whether the estimated weight is correct, the rep checked with the tech guy, and confirmed that it did weight that much! It included the front and rear dimple plates, which I wanted after talking with you about the "peppering" problem you had before you welded some cover plates on your sliders. So, for sure, I'm planning on similar type of coverage on my future sliders.

This was NOT supposed to turn into a money sucking hobby, but it is sure turning out to be...

I'm looking at the White Knuckle sliders, do you recommend the length with front mud flaps or without? I want my 80 to look higher than how it is (with 2.5 OME now). With front mud flaps, it may look lower. Also which do you think is better, the OPFOR Slider that Metal Tech is selling or the White Knuckles slider?

Last edited:
I'm looking at the White Knuckle sliders, do you recommend the length with front mud flaps or without? I want my 80 to look higher than how it is (with 2.5 OME now). With front mud flaps, it may look lower. Also which do you think is better, the OPFOR Slider that Metal Tech is selling or the White Knuckles slider?

For the white knuckle sliders, I'm planning to go full length, no mud flaps, but add the full diamond top plate to reduce splash/peppering. Although I'm ok with rear mud flaps, but I just don't like front mud flaps. Since I haven't seen either the white knuckle or OPOR in person, I'm not sure which is better. But, based on photos of the support brackets, I think I prefer the white knuckle ones over the OPOR. If the Metaltech4x4 ones aren't so pricey, and shipping wasn't $280, I would have gone with those instead. I'm most likely going to go with the White Knuckle ones.

New to LC's, just acquired a 1992 LC from my brother-in-law. Pretty clean, mostly stock. Need a few minor repairs. Any in or near Sacramento that can do some work on it? Or maybe recommend a local indie shop? Just need some things like codes read, u-joints changed, tune up, etc. Plus I'd like to pick a few brains on mods. I was a Land Rover guy for the past 15 years and was finally "converted" by my bnl. Thanks!

(I live in an apt complex so unfortunately I can't really do any work here otherwise I'd probably attempt most of the repairs myself; plus with little kids it's often hard to carve out the time to do it!)

I'd be glad to do some work for you, or help you out on some of the tasks. Where in Sacramento are ya? I'm off work today and not doing anything

I'd be glad to do some work for you, or help you out on some of the tasks. Where in Sacramento are ya? I'm off work today and not doing anything

I live downtown on 10th. What days do you normally have off? My priority is to get the timing marked on the flywheel so it can pass smog (it passed emissions, just not the visual) but I have a 60 temp permit. Other than that, I would like to do a tune-up, change all the fluids, etc. Eventually replace the u-joints and brakes all around.

Just checked out your rig on IG!

Ah that was you on IG.
I'm off Sunday Mondays. I think I'm not busy Monday.

So what part didn't pass visual?

We can do the tune and all. Do you have the new parts? Cap, rotor, plugs and wires?

Shouldn't take long to do all that as long as it goes to plan. ( nothing ever does lol )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom