What is everyone doing that needs a new exhaust system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 77 FJ40. I have a new downpipe and flange, but need everything else. I have been out on SOR, CCOT, Cruiser Outfitters, Cruiser Corps websites and I cant find a kit or anything for my needs. I checked ebay too.

And before everyone says just take it to a shop and have them build you one....I already called reputable shop. Yes they can build me one, but they said it will look best and be cheaper for me if I can source the major parts. Thing is...I cant find any.

Did I miss a company selling kits?

Thanks
Mark

What "major parts" do they want you to source? Have them bend up an exhaust and put a muffler in. It's not rocket science.

I have been more than happy with Sor's header/Y pipe exhaust setup.
Time to look for a better exhaust shop.

If your looking for stock the header pipe ran under the skid plate. As for a shop doing it I would take pictures of what the stock exhaust looked like and how you want it run. A good shop should have no problem. It also gives you a case if they do a hack job. It's different telling them what you want then having pictures. Hard for them you say you didn't make it clear what you wanted if they had pictures. 75-78 should close to what a 77 had.

I have a 77 FJ40. I have a new downpipe and flange, but need everything else. I have been out on SOR, CCOT, Cruiser Outfitters, Cruiser Corps websites and I cant find a kit or anything for my needs. I checked ebay too.

And before everyone says just take it to a shop and have them build you one....I already called reputable shop. Yes they can build me one, but they said it will look best and be cheaper for me if I can source the major parts. Thing is...I cant find any.

Did I miss a company selling kits?

Thanks
Mark
I have never seen a kit offered by anyone. Pick a muffler you like and supply that to a exhaust shop and have them make u a custom exhaust system. Use thick tubing or stainless for longevity. 2.5" tubing is a good size to use.

^^Xx^^ Find a real old school exhaust shop.

As @Mace said, "it ain't rocket science"... My shop did everything I asked and did a great job... After I got past the owner's 20 year old son, who didn't seem to understand anything I said.

My shop has been in business over 30 years... That's the kind of shop that understand innovation.

What "major parts" do they want you to source? Have them bend up an exhaust and put a muffler in. It's not rocket science.

The shop I spoke with was recommended by a trusted member of Mud and they have used this muffler shop multiple times and worked on land cruisers.

When I spoke to the owner he was trying to gauge how perfect I wanted it since I have a fairly stock restoration. He explained the more items I could provide with hangers etc the more factory spec he can make it look. He also said that would be cheaper. Seeing I can't source many parts only leaves me with showing him where I want things routed etc. I'm fairly positive they can build it.

Try toyota. Few years ago I was able to get a new exhaust from the cat back for my 82 fj40, I know 77 will be different. ...but worth asking

One of the first things I had done when I bought my rig, was a new exhaust system from manifold to tail pipe tip. I asked them to take some time and tuck it above the bottom of the frame, thus they did a very good job. The bottom of the exhaust pipe, firewall to rear frame, runs almost even with the bottom of the frame at the mid section.

I will hit up beno. I checked with my local dealer and was told everything was NLA.

I had MUD member @hairy_apple make up a 2 1/2 inch 2F exhaust flange and then took that to an exhaust shop. I asked them to route the same way but go above the skid plate and out the PS corner like stock. It cost me $350 at the exhaust shop and $20 for the flange. The exhaust shop used 14 gauge pipe so I'm guessing it will out last the sheet metal on my 40. I can take some pics if you're interested in seeing it.

Here's the flange.

EXHAUST FLANGES

I appreciate staying OEM as much as the next guy but I don't think you're going to find too many people nitpicking the exhaust. Route it right and be done with it.

I agree. I was able to acquire a new down pipe and flange already.

I more than likely will end up wits a custom setup made to look as stock as possible.

The major exhaust components for a stock F or 2F are no longer available from Toyota.
About 3 years ago I compiled the list of part numbers and at the time was able to order the downpipe, (manifold to muffler), the muffler, and a few of the brackets. Tried to order another set a few weeks ago and had no luck with any of the part numbers... all gone.

What I did with my 77 after it was mostly put back together, and before I bought plates for it, was to fire it up and roar on over to Speedway muffler in Cucamonga. Hour later it was nice and quiet with a new pipe and a can from the header back. Nothing special.

^^what he said^^
Same for my 77. Local exhaust shop bent and installed 2.5" pipe and Thrush muffler--looks almost stock-(I do have headers)-mine dumps out the driver's side-like it did originally-they got the bends just right-and goes above the stump pan without any contact-plenty of clearance--they even moved the pipe a couple of inches away from the frame so I could shield it.---Cost = $125( I supplied the muffler) A good shop should be able to do this easily--

One of the first things I had done when I bought my rig, was a new exhaust system from manifold to tail pipe tip. I asked them to take some time and tuck it above the bottom of the frame, thus they did a very good job. The bottom of the exhaust pipe, firewall to rear frame, runs almost even with the bottom of the frame at the mid section.

Hey Rick, what exhaust shop did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom