What Hitch Moint Bike Rack Are You Using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
I hunted around for contact information for iSi in Oz, but they've been unresponsive. Looking for a hitch mounted bike rack that 1) doesn't wobble and 2) holds up well to moderate off roading. I often mountain bike in Moab while there off roading.

Anyone out there got any recommendations?

I hunted around for contact information for iSi in Oz, but they've been unresponsive. Looking for a hitch mounted bike rack that 1) doesn't wobble and 2) holds up well to moderate off roading. I often mountain bike in Moab while there off roading.

I've been using the Kuat NV on my 92 80. It's the best rack I found when shopping a couple years ago. It has a device that eliminates swaying/wobbling and holds my Yeti plus one very securely. It also can lock the bike to the rack which is nice when stopping to or from the trails. I think it's off road worthiness is subjective. Im sure there's a way to make it work. It's not cheap but worth every penny!

Thanks JWill... The off roading piece is key for me, as I sometimes go up rough dirt roads (class I-III). Do you think the Kuat NV can handle it?

I use a Saris Thelma. I actually got rear-ended with it installed on my old 2002 Infiniti QX4 years ago. The car that hit me contacted the bend in the tube that slides into the receiver hitch and proceeded to slide under the car. I received no damage, the hitch just has some scrapes, and the offending vehicle was inoperable and totaled. Probably not the most elegant design, but it's proved to be tough.

The harbor freight one is super for $35. The only thing is the bike straps are a little flimsy but otherwise it's very solid and doesn't wobble

I can't remember the original manufacture's name but essentially I have what is now the Thule T-2 916 XTR. Mine was made originally by a bus rack builder and I believe it was somehow sold to Thule. Anyway, it is a bullet proof rack though the paint eventually went after about 10 years of year round use. (I live in snow country and would transport my bike down off the hill to ride.) I have had mine for 12 years and I had it sand blasted and powder coated last year and it's almost like new again.

It is expensive though at around $449.00. However, it is very solid and will last a long time. If folds up easily when your bikes are off and clears the 80 tailgate very well. One vehicle I had it rubbed on the tailgate a bit if I had it latched in the up position (no bikes on).

Bikes go on fast without wheel removal. Also, on my 80 I can lift the rear hatch enough, with the bikes on, to access the cargo area. If you need more access/clearance the rack tilts down and back, to the rear, which causes the handle bars to come away from the vehicle to allow for more room to drop the tail gate or lift the hatch.

Many of the other racks of this type are not as heavy duty. Oh yea, it is heavy (my guess 50-60lbs) and awkward to move around when not on the truck. Easier if you grab it folded up with the receiver away from your legs. Not a problem for me but my girlfriend can't move it around without dragging it...which of course damaged the paint and started the rusting of the original paint. However, there is no sway from bikes. You could stand on the ends of this thing.

There will be some overhang with or without the bikes on and so departure angle becomes limited especially with it down with bike on. You just need to select the route. Better, IMO, than trying to get a bike on a roof rack on a tall 80 or worse forgetting about it and entering a garage/ or lower roofed gas station.

Lastly, it has an optional lock that locks the rack into the receiver with an attached long and really stout cable that runs through the bikes.

I highly recommend the Thule T-2 916XTR!!

Last edited:
I Have been using a Thule T2 for the last 6 years, on a FJ cruiser ,and now on my 1967 Fj40. I really like the rack, I saved my fj cruiser when someone hit my fj cruiser ,it's was on but no bike's on. I have a few friends that have that happen also, I still use the same rack. I'am now looking for a new one because I got a 29+ bike ,and don't want to take the air out to get it on the rack (I have the 1st gen which was pre 29). I also would like a rack that work's better for the fj40 spare tire. So I have found what I think is the ticket!! http://reviews.mtbr.com/video-saris-superclamp-2-review#slider-pro-2-14 The Saris Super Clamp 2 bike.. Msrp 399.00, 24 inches out from the truck, look's to be higher off the back for hills. Iam going to see if my buddy carries it at his Bike shop BEbikes.com or Thebikeshoppe.com in UT.

Screenshot_2015-03-28-15-46-35.png

Screenshot_2015-03-28-15-46-26.png

Screenshot_2015-03-28-15-46-50.png

I can't remember the original manufacture's name but essentially I have what is now the Thule T-2 916 XTR. Mine was made originally by a bus rack builder and I believe it was somehow sold to Thule. Anyway, it is a bullet proof rack though the paint eventually went after about 10 years of year round use. (I live in snow country and would transport my bike down off the hill to ride.) I have had mine for 12 years and I had it sand blasted and powder coated last year and it's almost like new again.

It is expensive though at around $449.00. However, it is very solid and will last a long time. If folds up easily when your bikes are off and clears the 80 tailgate very well. One vehicle I had it rubbed on the tailgate a bit if I had it latched in the up position (no bikes on).

Bikes go on fast without wheel removal. Also, on my 80 I can lift the rear hatch enough, with the bikes on, to access the cargo area. If you need more access/clearance the rack tilts down and back, to the rear, which causes the handle bars to come away from the vehicle to allow for more room to drop the tail gate or lift the hatch.

Many of the other racks of this type are not as heavy duty. Oh yea, it is heavy (my guess 50-60lbs) and awkward to move around when not on the truck. Easier if you grab it folded up with the receiver away from your legs. Not a problem for me but my girlfriend can't move it around without dragging it...which of course damaged the paint and started the rusting of the original paint. However, there is no sway from bikes. You could stand on the ends of this thing.

There will be some overhang with or without the bikes on and so departure angle becomes limited especially with it down with bike on. You just need to select the route. Better, IMO, than trying to get a bike on a roof rack on a tall 80 or worse forgetting about it and entering a garage/ or lower roofed gas station.

Lastly, it has an optional lock that locks the rack into the receiver with an attached long and really stout cable that runs through the bikes.

I highly recommend the Thule T-2 916XTR!!

The name of the company was Sportworks. I had one of their racks with the square tube arm. It was notorious for failing and when mine failed, I almost had a $3000 bike scattered across a highway at 70mph. Sportworks improved on the original design and then sold out to Thule. Thule has made incremental improvements. The Thule T2 is quite heavy or at least that's what I remember the last time I tried to lift a double bike model.

I use a single bike Raxter rack and I am very pleased with it. Four attachment points to the bike and certainly sturdy enough for offroad. It is a very lightweight simple design. I replaced the marine grade velcro at the bottom with click straps.
http://www.raxterracks.com/

1up is another option. It's an all aluminum folding design like the Raxter but twice the price.

Modified Thule 4 bike rack...challenging to get 3 bikes on, and they had to be placed strategically or they would rub.
image.jpg

And here is the rack I bought to replace the Thule. Northshore NSR4. Probably the best departure angle out of any 4 bike rack. Also comes in 2 and 6 bike configurations. Folds down when not in use and mountain bikes of all frame sizes and wheel sizes can be loaded easily with no contact. It has rubbed paint off my bike with a white fork crown, but my bikes with black fork crowns are fine. Doesn't hold road bikes due to the narrower fork crown.
image.jpg

I really like the 1UP USA racks. Incredibly clever design, rustproof and no paint contact. The stadium-step design improves clearance. They aren't cheap but they're a buy-once, cry-once type of purchase. I see a rack as a key component to hold a very expensive item in place. Ever priced out a really nice road or mountain bike?

So much like mounts and optics on rifles, I prefer to wince and pay up once instead of trying to get by with make-do.

http://1upusa.com/bicycleracks.html

i've used the Thule T2 forever and have been happy with it. the biggest performance upgrade you can do with any hitch mount rack is to integrate the receiver into the frame and ditch the bolt on receiver. at least in my case, ground clearance has been the issue.

We've been using two Thule T2's for years now. No complaint.

On the back of my 200 there is plenty of clearance. On my wife's Venza, not so much (not that it matters.)

I have had three hitch mount bike racks. On my FJ62, I used a top tube mounted swing away BVG (Bauer Vehicle Gear) hitch rack. Top tube mounted racks make the bikes swing back and forth and hit each other. On my 80, I had a Thule T2 for years. For a four bike rack, it was big, heavy, and beginning to rust after 4 years. It also would bottom out a lot off road. Then I discovered the 1UPUSA. They are expensive, but nobody comes close to the beauty of this thing. It is almost all aluminum and even blows the doors off of a Kuat NV rack in terms of quality. I have seen some North Shore racks I like, but have heard road bikes can be tedious on them due to the fork mounting method. I have also seen a nice Soft Ride hitch rack I liked that held the bikes vertically via the handlebars. In the end, the 1UPUSA is really hard to beat.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys- wound up getting the 1up bike rack, which has so far worked really well. Thanks for the guidance everyone! :)

The wife and I are looking to get some bikes this summer so we can take the kidlet on some rides, so I'm starting to do some research and have a couple questions I'm hoping you seasoned pro's can help me with:

-will either of these racks fit a fat-tire bike?
-any chance either would swing out of the way enough that I could swing my OEM rear mounted spare out of the way and open the upper/lower tailgates on my 81 without removing the rack? I have a similar issue on the wife's GX470, in that the rear hatch swings open to the passenger side, will I be able to access the cargo area with the rack in place? Maybe with a receiver extension like I see on 1UPUSA's site?

The 1Up USA does not swing out, it does lay forward and you can get an extension to give yourself extra room between the bikes and hatchback/tire ect. They do handle fat bikes.

Most can handle fat bikes although the correct hardware to accomplish portage is optional.

I put an 18" hitch extension on mine and both the tailgate and the hatch open completely (hatch misses a handlebar end by about a quarter inch) without any issue. No need to swing out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom