What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great pics Danny!

Another Kodak moment!!

Frame it!
img_5582-jpg.1265240

Drove the SOB! Hit the dirt for the first time since the build!

IMG_5652.jpg

Peeked behind the bondo curtain! Yikes - bondo removal and missing quarter panel

Decided to learn the hard truth by peeling away the bondo on the quarters to determine what kinda patchwork I'm up against. Well it turns out that I had about 1/3 inch layer in sections... And not much metal underneath. Looks like I'll be busy.

Here's some photos... And I've uploaded a few videos on youtube... Hoping to fill a fj40 diy youtube void until @toomayntoyz (my inspiration and one of my sources of unwarranted couch mechanic confidence) gets uploading again once life slows down... I love the SparkleWrench series

My theory is to get the quarter panel somewhat decent and then remove the hardtop, remove rollbar and then replace the wheel well that @fj40alex hooked me up with. I want to keep the hard top on for now to act as a brace to keep things straight.

Some videos
Bondo removal with heat gun

Surgery after bondo removal

Quarter panel tacked into place
Fj40 diy quarter panel tacked in place (video 8)

I'm in for quite a ride but feeling strangely calm and confident. I guess it's hard to make this thing look worse. Worse case I guess I could just add another gallon of Bondo... Just kidding ih8bondo ih8rust!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
We dropped off our rear half tub, front floor pan, and transmission hump that we ordered from Land Cruiser Heaven at our body shop and opened them up for a look. Initial impressions are good, although it seems like a coat of primer would have been a nice touch to keep it from rusting in transit, but the shop has to blast all our other parts anyway. I'll post a more detailed report, probably on my build thread (link in signature), about the product once our body guy has given us his professional feedback on it. Goodbye rust! Exciting times
View attachment 1261200 View attachment 1261199
what are your impressions of the half tub you purchased? I may be looking to do at least a half tub replacement

Oh yeah, Pete!! I make the exact same drive and hike, three weeks in a row and see something new, something different every time!!

I do have some other locations/routes mapped out, for day trips, when I get a chance... the DNWR is just so convenient to my house!!

That's because you have open eyes and an open mind, uncluttered with white noise.

I feel the same when I'm out walking with my wife.

what are your impressions of the half tub you purchased? I may be looking to do at least a half tub replacement
First impressions are good, but we really only had the chance to rip off the packaging and visually inspect it before leaving it at the body shop so I can't comment on how well it fits. It definitely looks like good quality work though, had all the details like the OEM fuel door and such.

daBoise and I went for a 3 mile walk this morning and Gunner asked if we could go get a breakfast burrito. I said, "Sure. But, let's take 44 and pick up the burrito and take a drive, to celebrate the 48th anniversary of my first enlistment into the Air Force... May 29, 1968.... daBoise got excited!!

So, we picked up our huge burrito and headed out to the DNWR. But, rather than turn into it at Corn Creek, we turned west and drove up Lucky Strike Mine Road. We had never driven this road and it would be a very pretty drive, but for the constant line of wooden power poles that obstruct the views.

Anyway, we drove about 10 miles and I was surprised when I had to go into 4LO to get over some steep, rock shelves... didn't seem like I should need 4LO.

Anyway, at about 10 miles, I stopped and backed off the road, to turn around, and 44 died... couldn't get her started again. So, I put daBoise bed under a cedar tree and filled their water bowl and they laid there and watched me the whole time.

I pulled the fuel filters and fund the aux tank filter was a little dirty... so, I replaced it. BUt, I knew it was more than a simple filter, I had been running the aux tank and couldn't get enough fuel, to the carb, from either tank.

So, I tested the fuel pump and found it lacking... I pulled the battery, battery tray, splash shield and fuel pump. Then blew the fuel pump out and blew the line from the fuel pump to the carb out. But, rather than reinstall it, I installed my spare fuel pump and voila!! She started right up.

I put everything back together and we headed home... stopping at the Res (Piute) store, for a cold drink... and we're living happily every after!!

IMG_2174.JPG
IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2180.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG

I just received my GM 1ton crossover steering kit from Ruff Stuff. Next step to finishing my Sag conversion. Can't wait to get it put together. I am curious how far I need to ream NY knuckles and pitman arm. Looking at the reamer I bought from them as well, it goes pretty big and I don't want to over ream the knuckles. I searched a few TRE threads but did not find an answer. Is it just a drill and test fit, drill a little more test again process?
Thanks for any advice.

daBoise and I went for a 3 mile walk this morning and Gunner asked if we could go get a breakfast burrito. I said, "Sure. But, let's take 44 and pick up the burrito and take a drive, to celebrate the 48th anniversary of my first enlistment into the Air Force... May 29, 1968.... daBoise got excited!!

So, we picked up our huge burrito and headed out to the DNWR. But, rather than turn into it at Corn Creek, we turned west and drove up Lucky Strike Mine Road. We had never driven this road and it would be a very pretty drive, but for the constant line of wooden power poles that obstruct the views.

Anyway, we drove about 10 miles and I was surprised when I had to go into 4LO to get over some steep, rock shelves... didn't seem like I should need 4LO.

Anyway, at about 10 miles, I stopped and backed off the road, to turn around, and 44 died... couldn't get her started again. So, I put daBoise bed under a cedar tree and filled their water bowl and they laid there and watched me the whole time.

I pulled the fuel filters and fund the aux tank filter was a little dirty... so, I replaced it. BUt, I knew it was more than a simple filter, I had been running the aux tank and couldn't get enough fuel, to the carb, from either tank.

So, I tested the fuel pump and found it lacking... I pulled the battery, battery tray, splash shield and fuel pump. Then blew the fuel pump out and blew the line from the fuel pump to the carb out. But, rather than reinstall it, I installed my spare fuel pump and voila!! She started right up.

I put everything back together and we headed home... stopping at the Res (Piute) store, for a cold drink... and we're living happily every after!!

View attachment 1266182 View attachment 1266183 View attachment 1266184 View attachment 1266185 View attachment 1266186

Danny I had an adventure today as well.

Got together with a few friends and we went cruising in my 45, we had a grand time!:hillbilly:

shapeimage_1.png

Danny I had an adventure today as well.

Got together with a few friends and we went cruising in my 45, we had a grand time!:hillbilly:

shapeimage_1.png
You could easily take 4 more on the hood and 4more on the bumper...

You could easily take 4 more on the hood and 4more on the bumper...

Alan, Mike (@78fj40mg) doesn't have 8 more friends... he's all-in, with his "few friends" in the picture. ;)

EDIT: I had just woke up when I posted the above... I'm really not sure how it sounded... I meant to imply Mike had loaded everyone up already... but, I may have come off as crass... if so, I didn't mean it that way, Mike!! :oops: I'll be your dead horse!! :deadhorse:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom