What do i gain with 35" over 33" tires? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But the 80 is such a supremely capable rig in stock form that bigger wouldn't be better...it's would start leaving behind some of the things I value, like parking inside my garage...even before I get out of my driveway:p

A lot of logic in this paragraph^^^^^^^^^^

regards

Dave

I was running 37's starting in 2004 for a couple years. Been on 35's since then and never missed them. I have yet to see a place were 37's on an 80 went that 35's didn't.
For me 37's are not worth the price of admission.

To the OP: difficult to answer, depends on your trails, and 33s are good enough until you get hung up on that obstacle where you'd need those 35s to clear it.

Speaking of lockers, I never have missed them...
I interpret that statement to mean you've never been in places where lockers are needed.
And based on that, I would conclude that you are actually not in a position to make an informed contribution on the subject.

Yea I-70 to Moab is going to be fun. Next week there will be a group of us in 80's cresting Vail Pass at about 40mph, the 60's will be right behind us at about 35mph.

I can do vail pass at 60mph with a running start if nobody blocks my momentum... on 265 tires :p

To the OP: difficult to answer, depends on your trails, and 33s are good enough until you get hung up on that obstacle where you'd need those 35s to clear it.

I interpret that statement to mean you've never been in places where lockers are needed.
And based on that, I would conclude that you are actually not in a position to make an informed contribution on the subject.

Oh, I've been there alright. I was young once and almost always had a winch, which can get you into plenty of trouble, just like having lockers can.

And I've hung up enough tractors on the farm, even with a locker.

So, do I avoid such trails now? IH8MUD, after all. Mostly, I do, but they also mostly go...nowhere in particular. The exception would be Moab, where I've just started exploring in recent years and suspect I might miss having lockers, but where there's more than a lifetime of other alternatives for those particular trails.

I suspect we have a philosophical difference here. My truck is transportation. Can it be made to perform under unusual or exceptional circumstances to do things beyond its design envelope? Well, Mr. T anticipated that, if you're lucky enough to have that option or installed it yourself. Does that have much practical use? On occasion, but in half a century driving off road, these circumstances are really few and far between UNLESS you seek them out. Then you're gonna need them.

@greentruck you have stated your opinion on this matter pretty clearly. And for someone that has been on the road for 50 years that means you are in an older age group, I'm willing to bet that not many of your peers are interested in bouncing around off road even on mild trails.

I disagree with your points that a rig on 33's could go pretty much wherever one on 35's can, and that you really don't need lockers either. Based on your self posted vehicle history you have not run 35" tires on any of your rigs so your advice would be based completely on speculation rather than the experience that comes with ownership.

The circumstances where lockers and/or 35's are beneficial are not 'few and far between' for those of us who wheel our rigs regularly (thats the vast majority of those of us here). The correct use of lockers reduces the risk of breaking birfields, driveshafts, U joints ect.. 35" tires will clear more obstacles regardless of fact that it "only" gains an inch of clearance.

Furthermore 30 years ago you could drive a stock unlocked FJ40 up to the top of lake como on the Blanca Peak trail here in CO. That would be next to impossible now, trails everywhere are changed by nature and humans alike. Some have gotten easy peasy others have gotten real challenging. If it were as you say it is we would see stock vehicles at the top of Blanca or Spring Creek or carnage canyon all the time and the fact is you never do.

Most people who are looking at getting into a 35" MT are not rounding the bend to 70 years old. They are typically younger and interested in going farther and seeking out those situations which you are clearly avoiding. 35"s, lockers and a quality winch (;)) will help get them through every day all day.

Another + to lockers and to a degree bigger tires is that you aren't spending all day spinning tires and reattempting lines. At some point it's nice to get to the campsite.

Also if you enjoy snow wheeling you must have bigger tires, in many cases my 35's were insufficient I would need 37's or 40's. So there are a lot of benefits to larger tires other than the "mines bigger than yours" notion.

There are a few 80s in our club. Most on 33s and myself and one other on 35s. They can go anywhere I go, but we all have lockers as well. Anyone who says lockers are not necessary must just wheel in the desert. Plus where we wheel a big part of the adventure in my opinion is going to explore places we have never been. This means having lockers gives you the confidence to go where others fear to tread, but isn't that the definition of "off-roading"? Mine and the other one with 35s are the only MTs (I have the Toyo MTs). I can say that traversing the trails is much easier and less stressful with the 35s (I had 33 Toyo MTs), but I agree learning on 33s is probably better at developing skill level.

Last edited:
@greentruck you have stated your opinion on this matter pretty clearly. And for someone that has been on the road for 50 years that means you are in an older age group, I'm willing to bet that not many of your peers are interested in bouncing around off road even on mild trails.

I disagree with your points that a rig on 33's could go pretty much wherever one on 35's can, and that you really don't need lockers either. Based on your self posted vehicle history you have not run 35" tires on any of your rigs so your advice would be based completely on speculation rather than the experience that comes with ownership.

The circumstances where lockers and/or 35's are beneficial are not 'few and far between' for those of us who wheel our rigs regularly (thats the vast majority of those of us here)...

Yeah, the last there is exactly where I left off...

Does that have much practical use? On occasion, but in half a century driving off road, these circumstances are really few and far between UNLESS you seek them out. Then you're gonna need them.

You disagree that "a rig on 33's could go pretty much wherever one on 35's can, and that you really don't need lockers either..."? Once again, if you go bear hunting, you will with a little luck, find a bear. If you're not hunting bear, then you will rarely encounter one, unless you leave the picnic basket on the table.

I'm really not arguing that bigger tires, lockers, whatever are not an aid to getting certain places. All I'm saying is that in a place as rugged as Colorado is, you actually have to actively seek out places where these will make the difference in getting through. And you will have to look even harder to find places where an alternative route is not available. Blanca would be one, based on what I've heard, but I've never felt the need to go there. So I'm not even disputing that there are numerous examples that can be cited where said equipment would be beneficial.

But 90% of Colorado can be done in a Subaru, probably 99% in my lame, low-riding 80. I'm completely happy with leaving those who want to battle the elements to that other 1%. To me I just can't see putting money into the rig to deal with that 1% of by-ways. I understand the interest of those who do. But I suspect even most people here, as inclined to off-road excess as we are as a group, are most likely to spend most of their time on the 99% of Colorado trails/roads where the extra investment is superfluous in an 80.

It pretty much comes down to the fact that the bigger tires you have, the more you can do. You don't see competition buggies running 30" tires for a reason. That being said, you kinda need to know what kind of 4wheeling you want to do and size the tire appropriately.
I've gone from 31s to 33s and I'm now on 35s with plans to go to 37s next. I keep pushing the limits of what I have, and when I don't succeed and have to turn around it means I've reached the limits of my current configuration. I think that's a good way to do it though, start small and work your way up. If 33s get you over everything you encounter then you're set.

@greentruck I guess my point is if you haven't owned 35" tires then your opinion is based on speculation. Not on your first hand experience living with them or seeing what that seemingly small 1" gain does for you. So to chime in so heavily on a thread titled "what do I gain with 35" over 33" tires" is a little ridiculous.

-That is all-

There are a few 80s in our club. Most on 33s and myself and one other on 35s. They can go anywhere I go, but we all have lockers as well. Anyone who says lockers are not necessary must just wheel in the desert. Plus where we wheel a big part of the adventure in my opinion is going to explore places we have never been. This means having lockers gives you the confidence to go go where others fear to tread, but isn't that the definition of "off-roading"? Mine and the other one with 35s are the only MTs (I have the Toyo MTs). I can say that traversing the trails is much easier and less stressful with the 35s (I had 33 Toyo MTs), but I agree learning on 33s is probably better at developing skill level.
hey now. I use lockers in the desert too. you must be someone who has never been to a desert...

Beside the obvious of looking cooler, what is the advantage off road of a larger diameter tire. Lets just assume the 33 and the 35 are true to size. With a 2 inch diameter increase there would be 1" additional clearance under the axle and the body. This is the obvious advantage.

But what about the angle in which they role over a object? If you say have a 12"rock and run up to it in a 24 inch tire you will be hitting it right at the vertical part of the tire. If you hit the same 12" rock with a 48" you will hit it with a angle of the wheel which roles up and over it much better.

This is a extreme example but does it come into play with changes as small as 33"-35" in the real world? I guess i am asking does a slightly larger wheel, 33-35, change more than just the extra 1" clearance? Is there a real world improvement of how it roles over obstacles or is it minimal in real world?

I am running 33" tires and have open diffs on my 80. I wheel with a good group of folks on a fairly regular basis and most all of them are running 35" tires and have lockers. I have been able to get through all the trails so far. I sometimes have to take a little different line than the others or have to retry a few times to get through a particularly sketchy spot. As of yet no one has had to turn around because I couldn't get were the group is going. Upsizing concerns for me are possible need to regear the diffs and fitting in my garage. Many of the runs in Arizona require a pretty long uphill assent out of the Phoenix valley and I think I would eventually want to regear to better handle that as well as low end torque when off-roading.
Long story short, you will probably rarely need 35" tires to go where you want, but if I were needing tires and was willing to park outside and pay to regear, I would be running 35's. If you have already lifted your truck then that cost has already been incurred, if not you can easily run 33's without a lift too, 35's not so much.

hey now. I use lockers in the desert too. you must be someone who has never been to a desert...
Been to most western states, but your right, never wheeling. Had some folks go to Moab from our club, and according to them it was like driving on sandpaper...

Well back in my day we used to navigate the whole country on a horse-drawn carriage. You kids and your big fancy mud tires and internal combustion engines. Pussies.

Get off my lawn too.

Well back in my day we used to navigate the whole country on a horse-drawn carriage. You kids and your big fancy mud tires and internal combustion engines. Pussies.

Get off my lawn too.

LMFAO

all up hill as well!!!

It seems difficult to believe until you have experienced just one more inch of tire under the axle. I went from 35 to 37 on my last trail rig a few years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how much smoother the vehicle seemed to roll down the trail and how much less my axles got caught on rocks. The sad truth is: Size does matter.

I really noticed this on last years Rubithon run. There was an 80 on 35's in front of me for a good portion of the trail and every time they would smack a bumper, slider, or rear diff, I would anticipate the same hit (if following the same line) and more often than not I would clear the obstacle. Incredible what an extra 1'' can do, and coupled with the wider footprint and better traction a larger tire provides, everything was just a little bit easier for me.

Last edited:
In Greentruck's defense, I think I wheeled my carb'd 22r minibucket on 31x10.5 BFG's harder than probably 80-85% of the members of this board. I get where he's coming from. I have also gone places in a FJ60 with 33's and an aussie locker that my buddy could not go with his 37" Iroks. So tire size is not the be-all end-all of off road capability. Overall setup (suspension, drivetrain, etc), tires, and driver skill/luck--I think these three factors are all equally important.

^ The opinion of a guy who has also never owned a rig on 35's :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom