What did you do with your truck today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks familiar. You going to do the oil pump cover seal while you've got the access?
planning to get the complete gasket kit and do everything but the rear main.

Sweet, sounds like you have a plan. My suggestion would be to get a right angle drill and some left hand drill bits, because every single one of those screws will strip out. It's worked like a charm on the two I've done. Your welcome to borrow mine if you want to come get it. Also, I have some silicone hose left over, if you want a short piece to do the PHH.

Wrenched on the LC's big brother today, couldn't stand the $145/hr quote to replace the blower motor.
cJiksc2fOS7qqDFzkf2K8xI1ysqENCd9vA8vTIOuGNhG1_Z_jC4DGqDOI8rIaXLVg8vAENjXTjQOrUMYBu6dXMljDzVOAV9snN2tMhiUfuYoZn1BqM3lSBEpn7RdYGUKKksWA3wkWUTOqWCKpgoaLBU3Uc8KDi0Rtg4DeAk19JycPf5S9BKp5RHyoas4qaCPqsIu1uV08tdWcW_zRuDhN1V60j4eRu1RkWzd17jv0IW7E8C5m4MiY5KGGt3ey-GXK66vbtfj3WHrX6D--IicHzg1bfiBMtA_kj24A1xm_Ozj2Fju6k_YovwaqSZTZOrwH8qepYdrr1TGtoySVEd5XO1gQqhzgFIexkAI8TxZFUMx-RI5CSDaEz5in9rL0WskZ6uP6D52I3EqLo_7p7cyj_xSVJsANqBFcIWudn09_XwFN8S9nFgXcE0Qrh0YQoedTf_2sCX6PfSvGwTBVNWGGS5HxuToB3frSm_7grxsEF30qVRc7lQDn4i0IdKvq3xxamFKDyVTJzPOCN5OGVsP2N1_hv29oCID-tFMwkFTvzgORhh8lPz4M7wKGZI9OggKAJ-CvwfT1Gg-1w9GBTgQmZzCow=w478-h637-no

Hey all, long time away. Well, the most recent thing I did to my truck (besides new meats) was to kill the SM420 (i think). I am still trouble shooting the issue, bit it feels like the main shaft may have snapped in the transmission. No power to the wheels, but it shifts fine, the clutch feels normal, and I can hear/feel that parts are spinning in the transmission. Anyone have a line on a decent SM420 or a factory 4-speed?

Grrrrrrrr!!!!

Thanks

Briggs

Cut off my old damaged & reparied diff cover and replaced with an 8" pipe cap (3/8" thick). At the same time I added a 2" bung as the fill port and an internally removable diff drain. Not quite as gaudy as I expected it to look in all honesty.

The fill port does just what I'd hoped: Allows easy inspection of gears and fluid level, and makes refilling VERY fast.

Knowing I'd have a bunch of room to work inside the new cover, and having such a large opening on top, I drilled and tapped a 1/4"NPT hole straight down from the opening and installed a basic 1/4" pipe plug from the inside. I still have nothing to drag or damage on rocks, yet I do still have a way to drain most of the fluid other than pulling a diff stud or "cracking" the diff seal. Time will tell if it holds up, but so far so good.

Lots of time involved with cutting, grinding and welding obviously, but only about $30 out of pocket for materials, so I'm pretty happy with it so far.

IMG_20160823_133254.jpg
IMG_20160823_133444.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all, long time away. Well, the most recent thing I did to my truck (besides new meats) was to kill the SM420 (i think). I am still trouble shooting the issue, bit it feels like the main shaft may have snapped in the transmission. No power to the wheels, but it shifts fine, the clutch feels normal, and I can hear/feel that parts are spinning in the transmission. Anyone have a line on a decent SM420 or a factory 4-speed?

Grrrrrrrr!!!!

Thanks

Briggs
@Briggs Evans
Check the splined coupler between the trans output shaft and the t-case input shaft (If that setup has it). I've seen that snap before on a similar setup. Much easier and cheaper to fix than internal trans parts.

Last edited:
I'm running a plate adapter so there is no coupler to snap. I am hoping to at least remove the PTO covers on both the tranny and t-case today or tomorrow and get a better look. I will update then.

I was able to trouble shoot the issue today and feel a bit dumb. After removing the PTO covers and spinning things by hand, everything looked and felt good. I discovered that the t-case shift linkage had come apart and the t-case had popped into neutral. The linkage felt normal from the cab, but it was not shifting the case. I got it together it's back working.

At least I got a good look inside both the tranny and t-case and it all looks good. Yea for a simple fix. Boo for my stupidity for not catching the problem at the start.

@Tennessee80 did the top you got come with the bows and frame or did you buy that separate? Just curious.

Also, I brought another pile home last weekend. But this one literally is a pile...

0828161754_HDR-1.jpg

Plan to start tearing down axles this weekend and scrounging in my stash for parts for a front disc conversion.

Started unloading today.

IMG_3309.jpg

Sir,
Your lawn looks like it is coming in well around the house too. Looking good on all fronts, kudos

Thanks @LDowney the yard is coming in pretty well. Got to pick up some KY31 and overseed the fool out of it in the next week or so, but all together we are really enjoying the place. Now if I can just get the barn cleaned and organized I'd be golden....

IMG_20160902_114906366-1024x1365.jpg
IMG_20160905_165701633-1024x768.jpg
Broke the 40,000# tongue on my pintle-converted semi trailer and broke another RCV front axle shaft.

Dang man, that is serious breakage

Dang man, that is serious breakage
That's generally the way I do it. Haha

But RCV came through again. Not only did they warranty it "over the phone", they expedited the shipping for me because of my big trip next week. I didn't think it was possible for their warranty process to be any better, but they have proved me wrong.

View attachment 1318261 View attachment 1318262Broke the 40,000# tongue on my pintle-converted semi trailer and broke another RCV front axle shaft.

Another set of RCVs? something aint living up the reputation or hype. I get the warranty is pretty good but at some point the hassle of continuously changing out shafts gets old. Guess I don't wheel my junk hard enough

Another set of RCVs? something aint living up the reputation or hype. I get the warranty is pretty good but at some point the hassle of continuously changing out shafts gets old. Guess I don't wheel my junk hard enough
Something is pulling the inner shaft out of the joint PAST the C-clip. Then only the part past the clip is driving the wheel... And it snaps off at the C-clip groove.

Although the way they break is a very easy fix compared to some alternatives, so I'm not complaining too much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom