What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

8 days of this.....
d1.JPG

How long did you have to wait for that?
No waiting
They had three already in stock. Just went by and picked it up. Shop is local to me.

Tried that for a half hour tonight. I'm not getting CDL light or ABS light. Gotta be the switch.
This.. http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-2...qid=1459195755&ref_=sr_1_fkmr1_2&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Mine was doing the same thing. Would not engage front or rear because if you can't engage the center the fr and rr won't engage. There are 2 switches under the truck. One actuates the shaft for the center diff and then the other one indicates the center diff is locked. They are the same switch. Using this switch is way cheaper and it's the same thing.

This.. http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-201-1788-Back-Switch/dp/B001KSCYCI?ie=UTF8&keywords=beck arnley reverse light switch&qid=1459195755&ref_=sr_1_fkmr1_2&sr=8-2-fkmr1

Mine was doing the same thing. Would not engage front or rear because if you can't engage the center the fr and rr won't engage. There are 2 switches under the truck. One actuates the shaft for the center diff and then the other one indicates the center diff is locked. They are the same switch. Using this switch is way cheaper and it's the same thing.

For real? I will try it. Thanks.

Napa part number: NS6421

At least that is the one for the front locker, but I think they're all the same.

I took the three older kids and some friends from Northern California up to China Peak ski area on Friday. We had a decent day on the slopes, especially with slushy conditions. The worst part was getting hit by a speeding snowboarder and having a sore/stiff knee.

Coming back, we had some "extra time" so headed up Dinkey Creek Rd to see what fun could be had. I found Bennett Road and decided to head down it a ways. There were a few 15-30' snowy patches that took a little bit of throttle and maybe some reversing to get through, then about halfway through a 50'+ section, I sunk to the axles and the tires were just spinning on ice. We dug around the tires, then I decided to try using the winch. It did the trick and that's when my son took this video (sorry for the shakiness).

Then I turned around to head back up, figuring it would be about the same situation. Not!

Again, it was about halfway in, the tires started spinning, making the treads fill with ice, and I had no traction. Tried the winch again on two different trees on either side of the trail, but the combination of tires in ruts and axles resting on snow was too much for it. A snatch block to double the pulling power might have made a difference, but I hadn't brought all the recovery equipment along on this trip.

We were probably there 1.5-2 hours working at it. We tried lifting the front end with the HiLift and shoving pieces of bark (from rotting stumps) under the tires, but that doesn't work too well for traction devices. Aired down a little bit to 25 PSI, but could have gone farther which might have helped. Finally stopped and prayed about it, then got everyone to work digging as much as possible around the tires and under the axles. I pulled out the brand new pair of chains and tried to get them on the back tires, but ended up finding it easier to access the front, especially after jacking it up again. About the time we were close to getting the chains on, I called @cruiserfj45 and asked if he knew anyone in the area who could give us a tug. We also sent the five kids out to the road to flag someone down and see if there were any locals willing to lend a hand.

Finally, with the chains on the front tires, all lockers engaged, and enough snow out from under the rear axle to back up a little, I was able to make a few runs at it and power through with snow flying. My friend Frank got some videos on his phone as well, which I will add once he sends them to me. Then it was just a matter of getting through the smaller patches and back to the main road, where we were able to get the chains off and everything thrown in the back. I rewarded everyone with soft drinks and juice at the convenience store while I aired back up.

Got some great stuff from the postman today - thanks @NLXTACY !

IMG_20160328_110345.jpg

IMG_20160328_111155.jpg

This.. http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-201-1788-Back-Switch/dp/B001KSCYCI?ie=UTF8&keywords=beck arnley reverse light switch&qid=1459195755&ref_=sr_1_fkmr1_2&sr=8-2-fkmr1

I ordered one. I think I only need the one for the center diff, correct? Amazon Prime. Will have it Wednesday.

I ordered one. I think I only need the one for the center diff, correct? Amazon Prime. Will have it Wednesday.
That's all I needed.

I took the three older kids and some friends from Northern California up to China Peak ski area on Friday. We had a decent day on the slopes, especially with slushy conditions. The worst part was getting hit by a speeding snowboarder and having a sore/stiff knee.

Coming back, we had some "extra time" so headed up Dinkey Creek Rd to see what fun could be had. I found Bennett Road and decided to head down it a ways. There were a few 15-30' snowy patches that took a little bit of throttle and maybe some reversing to get through, then about halfway through a 50'+ section, I sunk to the axles and the tires were just spinning on ice. We dug around the tires, then I decided to try using the winch. It did the trick and that's when my son took this video (sorry for the shakiness).

Then I turned around to head back up, figuring it would be about the same situation. Not!

Again, it was about halfway in, the tires started spinning, making the treads fill with ice, and I had no traction. Tried the winch again on two different trees on either side of the trail, but the combination of tires in ruts and axles resting on snow was too much for it. A snatch block to double the pulling power might have made a difference, but I hadn't brought all the recovery equipment along on this trip.

We were probably there 1.5-2 hours working at it. We tried lifting the front end with the HiLift and shoving pieces of bark (from rotting stumps) under the tires, but that doesn't work too well for traction devices. Aired down a little bit to 25 PSI, but could have gone farther which might have helped. Finally stopped and prayed about it, then got everyone to work digging as much as possible around the tires and under the axles. I pulled out the brand new pair of chains and tried to get them on the back tires, but ended up finding it easier to access the front, especially after jacking it up again. About the time we were close to getting the chains on, I called @cruiserfj45 and asked if he knew anyone in the area who could give us a tug. We also sent the five kids out to the road to flag someone down and see if there were any locals willing to lend a hand.

Finally, with the chains on the front tires, all lockers engaged, and enough snow out from under the rear axle to back up a little, I was able to make a few runs at it and power through with snow flying. My friend Frank got some videos on his phone as well, which I will add once he sends them to me. Then it was just a matter of getting through the smaller patches and back to the main road, where we were able to get the chains off and everything thrown in the back. I rewarded everyone with soft drinks and juice at the convenience store while I aired back up.

Airing down to 8 PSI, you would have walked right thru that stuff no prob...low air is your friend ;) ...25 PSI wont cut it as you found out, not enough floatation....glad you got out safe

Share some details please. Thank you.
No problem Box Rocket.
I got the info from another thread here in forum.
To find the arm rest, type universal Toyota arm rest on eBay and you will find it.
It comes in tan and gray.
What I did was remove the factory cup holder and used the bracket holding it to reinforce the abs plastic bracket supplied with the new arm rest just modified it a bit
Pics to follow

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom